Staff leave Google's self-driving car team after reaping massive bonuses

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    blastdoor said:
    Beware -- if you actually do say F-u and drop out of the workforce, you better be darned sure you'll never need a job again. I know a couple from Microsoft that left back in the 90s. They lived it up for over 10 years, but then along came some stock market crashes, and suddenly they needed jobs again. 

It turns out that taking F-u money doesn't look good on a resume, nor does over a decade of unexplained unemployment. 
    Several problems with this: 1) With even the most basic of financial planning (such as using the 4% rule), you can guarantee F-U money will last you the rest of your life/lives. You just have to be sure not to screw up or be irresponsible. 2) Gaps on a resume are *easily* explained by saying you were consulting or founding a startup or whatever. The *real* problem is if you let your skills languish over that period of time. Again, it's a matter of being responsible.
    Soliyojimbo007StrangeDays
  • Reply 22 of 31
    blastdoor said:
    Beware -- if you actually do say F-u and drop out of the workforce, you better be darned sure you'll never need a job again. I know a couple from Microsoft that left back in the 90s. They lived it up for over 10 years, but then along came some stock market crashes, and suddenly they needed jobs again. 

It turns out that taking F-u money doesn't look good on a resume, nor does over a decade of unexplained unemployment. 
    I wouldn't sweat it, having millions to play with is a good problem to have. If you have skills investors, partners, or hiring managers aren't going to refuse you because job gap. As a hiring manager I've never looked at that, especially if the candidate was a hotshot from google who was smart enough to make it big. Rather, my evaluation is: is this a smart person who gets things done?
    edited February 2017 yojimbo007
  • Reply 23 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) If I'm giving millions of dollars I'm not going to necessarily buy a house. Rent and invest sounds like a better plan.

2) What does "a multiplier of 16" mean? Seems like an odd term to use with no starting or ending value applied.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Soli said:

2) What does "a multiplier of 16" mean? Seems like an odd term to use with no starting or ending value applied.
    Yeah this wasn't very clear. 
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Soli said:
    1) If I'm giving millions of dollars I'm not going to necessarily buy a house. Rent and invest sounds like a better plan.

1) I'd totally buy a house! Buy and then invest the remaining money.

2) Just spitballing, but probably 16 times the basic salary or something like that. But agree, wasn't clear at all.

• Reply 26 of 31
    Soli said:

normal bonus amount * multiplier = actual bonus received (before the heavy taxes)
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    self driving cars are dumb.
    Yeah, because safety is stupid¡ That's why automatic transmissions/clutches, cruise control, traction control, and anti-lock breaks are worse than when it was all manually controlled¡
    Not the best analogy, I'd still prefer to NOT have those things and it's in the name of safety I'd do that. If you are a good enough driver, these things can actually hinder your ability to control a car in an emergency (TC & ABS). Cruise control and automatics are just for lazy or long distance driving, sure they're nice but don't contribute to safety at all. Worst bugbear of modern cars personally is replacing the handbrake with a button! 
  • Reply 28 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    adm1 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    Yeah, because safety is stupid¡ That's why automatic transmissions/clutches, cruise control, traction control, and anti-lock breaks are worse than when it was all manually controlled¡
    Not the best analogy, I'd still prefer to NOT have those things and it's in the name of safety I'd do that. If you are a good enough driver, these things can actually hinder your ability to control a car in an emergency (TC & ABS). Cruise control and automatics are just for lazy or long distance driving, sure they're nice but don't contribute to safety at all. Worst bugbear of modern cars personally is replacing the handbrake with a button! 
    1) You're saying that cars are LESS safe because anti-lock breaks exist?

2) No matter how you cut it, the human factor is the biggest issue with automobile safety. You may believe you're a better drive who is more aware and has faster reaction times over a Tesla using autopilot, no matter how long you've been on the road, but you'd be wrong because even averting your gaze for a couple seconds to adjust temperature control in the cabin can be the difference between life of death. Do you think commercial planes are for lazy pilots because they have and use an autopilot?
    StrangeDaysgatorguy
  • Reply 29 of 31
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    daven said:
    blastdoor said:

If a person can't live well for the rest of their life after banking a few million, they aren't that bright after all.
    "A few million" doesn't get one very far in California. Especially in Google's neighborhood, houses start at about a million.
    Part of smart includes realizing that a few million only lasts a lifetime if they live somewhere where the cost of living isn't excessively high and they live a normal middle income lifestyle.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    adm1 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    Modern ABS systems don't hinder control.  You can still threshold brake by easing off once you feel the ABS pulsing.  If you feel ABS kicking in it means you messed it up and it's a good thing you had ABS rather than locking up.

I can threshold on a track (with properly set up brakes) because I'm in a controlled scenario.  In a panic situation I'm stomping on the brakes like everyone else.  And plenty of guys have flat spotted their tires or wrecked thinking otherwise.

If Senna raced with ABS and TC at Donnington you are full of if you think you can drive better without ABC and TC in wet conditions in the real world with your daily driver.

This stuff saves lives and money.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3217442/