D-Link Omna 180 HomeKit camera launches at Apple's online store, coming to retail this mon...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2017
A day after the D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD showed up on Apple's website in Europe, the HomeKit-connected accessory is now available to purchase in the U.S. and elsewhere, with the first deliveries arriving as soon as next week.

Customers can order the D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD Camera from Apple.com for $199.95. Expedited shipping offers delivery between Feb. 23 and March 2, a little later than the first European orders spotted by AppleInsider on Tuesday.

While Apple's website says customers can pick up the camera in stores by March 3, D-Link says the Omna 180 Cam HD (DSH-C310) will be available at Apple retail locations around the world later this month.

Announced at CES, the Omna 180 is D-Link's first HomeKit accessory, and is claimed to be the first HomeKit security camera available to purchase. Other options have been announced, including the Withings Home Plus, but are not yet shipping.

The Omna 180 Cam HD provides a 180-degree field of view and infrared-based night vision capabilities. Able to stream footage over a wireless network, it is also able to store video clips locally to a microSDXC card, eliminating the need to subscribe to a cloud storage service.

Like other similar networked cameras on the market, the Omna 180 Cam HD can provide notifications to iPhones and iPads via iOS 10 when it detects movement and sound. HomeKit also allows feeds to be encrypted between the camera and an iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV.

Its compatibility also allows it to work in tandem with other HomeKit hardware through Apple's native Home app, triggering lights and other device functions when detecting movement.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I was able to order one from the Apple US store. It will be delivered tomorrow (2/16/2017). I have been waiting for HomeKit enabled security cameras and am anxious to try this out.
    edited February 2017 2old4funwatto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 2 of 8
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Able to stream footage over a wireless network, it is also able to store video clips locally to a microSDXC card, eliminating the need to subscribe to a cloud storage service. 
    Neither the description on the Apple online store or on D-Link are clear about one feature I think is important. It says it can record video and sound to play back later. I was hoping that you could access the video stored on the chip remotely in the situation where it alerts your iPhone but once you log in there is nothing to see. I'd like to scrub through the video on the chip remotely to see what triggered the alert instead of having to wait until I returned home. Perhaps it does allow remote access to the chip but it is not specifically stated.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    SevenelevenSeveneleven Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    volcan said:
    Able to stream footage over a wireless network, it is also able to store video clips locally to a microSDXC card, eliminating the need to subscribe to a cloud storage service. 
    Neither the description on the Apple online store or on D-Link are clear about one feature I think is important. It says it can record video and sound to play back later. I was hoping that you could access the video stored on the chip remotely in the situation where it alerts your iPhone but once you log in there is nothing to see. I'd like to scrub through the video on the chip remotely to see what triggered the alert instead of having to wait until I returned home. Perhaps it does allow remote access to the chip but it is not specifically stated.
    Have a look at the app screenshots in the App Store. Looks promising and will answer your questions.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 4 of 8
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    I don't understand why these run-of-the-mill surveillance cameras are this expensive. Okay, it has a nice design, but the optics and software are average; I'm building my own Arduino-powered surveillance system for about $50. 
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Not digging the design
    2.png 388.2K
  • Reply 6 of 8
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    I ordered one to check it out.  Love the idea of homekit security of my home. 
  • Reply 7 of 8
    fallenjt_Newfallenjt_New Posts: 10unconfirmed, member
    mtbnut said:
    I don't understand why these run-of-the-mill surveillance cameras are this expensive. Okay, it has a nice design, but the optics and software are average; I'm building my own Arduino-powered surveillance system for about $50. 
    Your labor costs?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    fallenjt_Newfallenjt_New Posts: 10unconfirmed, member
    In the mean time, Zmodo Pivot costs only $99 but it's not HomeKit compatible. App is quite slow though.