Fifth generation of Apple TV to bring 4K compatibility, little else - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2017
A report declares that a new 4K Apple TV, codenamed "J105" is in testing, with a debut coming as soon as this year -- but nothing new may be added to the platform besides the bump in resolution.

The Bloomberg report, written by Mark Gurman, makes the prediction that the new fifth-generation Apple TV may release as soon as this year, and will feature 4K resolution and "more vivid colors."

The new version of Apple's "hobby" appears to lack significant new hardware features, other than the addition of 4K. Gurman believes that previous versions of the Apple TV were going to integrate Siri into the set-top itself rather than on the remote, or have a coaxial cable for the device to act as a set-top box.

An update to 4K on a new fifth-generation Apple TV is an obvious guess. Apple's set-top box has been stuck at 1080p resolution since March 2012, when the third generation of the device was revealed to customers.

Presumably, a 4K bump would also include a beefier processor to handle the higher resolution.

The October 2015 update of the Apple TV to the fourth generation added the A8 processor, Siri search, and the ability for the device to run apps rather than rely on pre-installed services. Apple released tvOS 10 in September 2016 for the $149 device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    If true...ouch.
  • Reply 2 of 101
    xzuxzu Posts: 139member
    Innovation!

At least they are updating it.
    TomSawyerjahblade
  • Reply 3 of 101
    We'll see if Gurman has lost his mojo since he took the job at Bloomberg.
    wonkothesaneksec
  • Reply 4 of 101
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    A bump in resolution hardly seems to justify an entirely new version, but if you think about it, 4K resolution is a requirement to keep it a viable product and that mostly likely needs new display hardware. Otherwise, Apple TV is 90% software, so if they weren't running into memory or processor issues they could just update the firmware.
    jahblade
  • Reply 5 of 101
    noelosnoelos Posts: 126member
    This being Apple, they were probably holding back on 4K+HDR until they had some content to sell you. If it comes with an upgrade to a decent chunk of their catalogue with reasonable upgrade pricing it could be worth something.
    caliTomSawyerjahbladetmaystompystardustagbrucemc1983
  • Reply 6 of 101
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    What could "more vivid colors" mean in the context of the Apple TV since it doesn't have a display?   Are there TVs with colour profiles that the Apple TV doesn't currently utilise or something?
    TomSawyertzm41
  • Reply 7 of 101
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Bullsh**
    If it has 4k it will come with a faster processor. At least an A9.

If Apple decides to update iTunes with 4k this Apple TV will release same day as content. 
    randominternetpersonStrangeDaysSolitallest skildoozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 101
    crowley said:
    What could "more vivid colors" mean in the context of the Apple TV since it doesn't have a display?   Are there TVs with colour profiles that the Apple TV doesn't currently utilise or something?
    Pretty sure it just means HDR. Not sure why the article didn't bring that up.
    SpamSandwichtmaySolijbdragontzm41doozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 101
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    A welcome addition, but not much true 4K content exists - so the importance of the lack of that feature was over emphasized (for now) . My Amazon Fire 'supports' 4K but processor still chokes with 1080p streams and finally overcame Dolby audio glitches with the most recent update.

What Apple TV really needs is an updated remote! Lack of crucial buttons, overly sensitive touch, inconsistent app mapping to button functions and horrid ergonomics (easy to hold upside down, too thin).
    williamlondonking editor the gratejkichlineretrogustostompystardustagirelandcalisteveau
  • Reply 10 of 101
    noelos said:
    This being Apple, they were probably holding back on 4K+HDR until they had some content to sell you. If it comes with an upgrade to a decent chunk of their catalogue with reasonable upgrade pricing it could be worth something.
    You won't have an option to upgrade to UHD from HD. You may purchase a new copy of what you want in UHD but not pay a small fee to upgrade to it. It's not even in Apple's control to allow you to do that.
    randominternetpersonjbdragon
  • Reply 11 of 101
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    I don't have a problem with this. It means we'll likely see a processor bump, and may imply Apple will begin offering 4K content through iTunes, Music, etc. The device pretty good already. Add in these features along with TV service, and better gaming (ala new processors), you'll have pretty strong system. A price cut of $20-50 would also help move devices. Originally got an Apple TV because it was only $80 ($100 - refurb discount).
    edited February 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 101
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    I was really thinking a software update would allow 4K on the current 4th generation ATV, since the A8 supports 4K output. 
    - http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/11/21/apples-a8-soc-reportedly-capable-of-4k-video-output-may-pave-way-for-ultra-high-resolution-apple-tv
    https://www.engadget.com/2014/11/21/exclusive-the-iphone-6s-a8-chip-can-play-4k-video/

If an upgrade to a 5th generation or later ATV is required, that would be a little disappointing. But seeing as how I have no 4K TVs and don't plan to buy a new one soon...
  • Reply 13 of 101
    4K is a welcome upgrade, hopefully 10-bit HDR and dolby atmos support etc. to future proof it a bit.
  • Reply 14 of 101
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    Apple should wait until 2018 to release ATV5 with some more bells and whistles besides 4K output. Apple could have added 4K in ATV4.
    edited February 2017 williamlondonsmaffeidoozydozencali
  • Reply 15 of 101
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,273member
    noelos said:
    You won't have an option to upgrade to UHD from HD. You may purchase a new copy of what you want in UHD but not pay a small fee to upgrade to it. It's not even in Apple's control to allow you to do that.
    They did with music a few years back. Upgraded my whole downloaded catalog for pennies per track.
    randominternetpersonretrogustowatto_cobracali
  • Reply 16 of 101
    So, the ATV 4.1 or ATV 5 will is finally catching up to what the ATV 4 should have been 15 months ago.
    sirlance99williamlondondavensmaffeibrucemc
  • Reply 17 of 101
    mike1 said:
    noelos said:
    They did with music a few years back. Upgraded my whole downloaded catalog for pennies per track.
    You payed more to free your music from DRM, not for better upgraded quality. Show me anywhere with any of the other streaming services, like Vudu, where you can have the HD version and upgrade to the UHD version when it's available. You can't because it doesn't exist and won't exist with Apple all of a sudden magically.
  • Reply 18 of 101
    We'll see if Gurman has lost his mojo since he took the job at Bloomberg.
    I think John Gruber has it right: Gurman gets leaks but the narrative he puts around those leaks is often wrong. Here he's suggesting Apple didn't put a 4K chip in the Apple TV for profit reasons and because of that they were forced with an App Store concept which is not what some employees signed up for. Um, what does 4K have to do with apps and an App Store? Was there some grand idea employees had that was only possible with a 4K chip that would have replaced the App Store idea? Seems like Gurmam is taking two complaints people have with the Apple TV and trying to suggest they're related. My guess is if the next Apple TV model has 4K it will still have an App Store. I don't think Tim Cook said the future of TV is apps because he was too cheap to put a 4K chip in the box.
    edited February 2017 randominternetpersontmayStrangeDayscali
  • Reply 19 of 101
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    cali said:
    Bullsh**
    If it has 4k it will come with a faster processor. At least an A9.

If Apple decides to update iTunes with 4k this Apple TV will release same day as content. 
    I agree...why not build the thing for the future instead of today. Hell, I'd put in an A10X. Why it wasn't released with 4K in the first place is beyond me. The lack of 4K and 4K content is Apple TV's largest downfall in my opinion. You're paying $150 for something that doesn't even do 4K (only 1080p) when there are cheaper devices that do the same thing and support 4K. 
    edited February 2017 williamlondoncali
  • Reply 20 of 101
    If Apple would loosen the purse strings a little and subsidize Game App development on the Apple TV and Mac they could drive more sales for both. Most of the games that do well on an iPhone would run well on an Apple TV with a similar CPU/GPU. The casual gaming market is huge and if Apple were to tie gaming on the Apple TV to social media in a better way than the current Game Center- maybe with a partner- they could move more units. As was said previously, the remote needs work and a price cut. $75 for a second remote? Really?
    spliff monkeyirelandcali