AT&T expands unlimited plan to all customers, single line pricing starts at $100

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2017
In a bid to stay current amid recently increased competition, AT&T on Thursday said it will make a new AT&T Unlimited Data Plan available to all post-paid customers on Friday, with tiers starting at $100 for a single user.

Both consumers and business customers can take advantage of the new plan pricing, which includes unlimited talk, text and data on four lines for $180 a month. Business customers can get an even better deal with corporate discounts.

Prior to the change, users looking to sign up for unlimited data were required to also hold a DirecTV or U-Verse account.

AT&T confirmed details of the new unlimited tier to AppleInsider, saying single-line plans cost $100 with each additional line coming in at $40. Though a four-line example is being used to advertise the plan, customers can add additional unlimited users to their account as needed.

As noted in today's press release, the fourth line is essentially free via a monthly bill credit that starts after two billing cycles. Customers will have to pay $220 per month until the credit kicks in.

The usual trimmings are also included in the plan, allowing users to make unlimited calls from the U.S. to Canada and Mexico and send unlimited texts to over 120 countries. Customers who opt in to the free Roam North America feature can take advantage of unlimited talk, text and data in Canada and Mexico with no roaming charges.

"We're offering unlimited entertainment on the nation's best data network where and when you want to enjoy more of what you love," said David Christopher, Chief Marketing Officer of the AT&T Entertainment Group.

According to the fine print, AT&T retains the right to throttle data speeds after 22GB of data usage, though the company claims slowdowns should occur only during periods of network congestion.

AT&T's new plan arrives just days after Verizon announced the resurrection of its own unlimited data tier. T-Mobile, which offers all-you-can-eat data under the One plan, responded to Verizon by activating HD video and adding a 10GB high-speed Mobile Hotspot feature at no extra charge.

With AT&T opening its unlimited tier to all comers, users in the market for uncapped data can now select a plan from all four major U.S. carriers. Those thinking about upgrading can check out AppleInsider's head-to-head comparison to see which offering best suits their needs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Not good enough AT&T. Drop it at least by 30 percent, then we'll talk.
    netmage
  • Reply 2 of 32
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    That's so expensive - I can get unlimited minutes, data & texts (including 30GB tethering per month) for £32 (approx $40) here in the U.K.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    adyb said:
    That's so expensive - I can get unlimited minutes, data & texts (including 30GB tethering per month) for £32 (approx $40) here in the U.K.
    It's even expensive in the US.  Same 4 lines, pretty much the same coverage, and it's $160 with T-Mobile.

AT&T isn't really even trying.
    netmage
  • Reply 4 of 32
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Yup - this is why we left AT&T. Too expensive and slow to catch up... Even my brother in law who works for AT&T admits that he probalby wouldn't use them either if he didn't get his employee discount
  • Reply 5 of 32
    AT&T wants to remain competitive and yet they charge those prices? LOL
  • Reply 6 of 32
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,189member
    Not only are tethering and mobile hotspot use prohibited, they aren't even options!
    bigpicsnetmagemrboba1icoco3Metriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 7 of 32
    bluefire1 said:
    There are other ways to compete. 
  • Reply 8 of 32
    cpsro said:
    Not only are tethering and mobile hotspot use prohibited, they aren't even options!
    total deal breaker
    macseeker
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Pathetic.  T-Mobile remains the best bang for the buck.
    bigpics
  • Reply 10 of 32
    jvmbjvmb Posts: 59member
    I was planning to switch from ATT mobile share to T-mobile's $100 for 2 lines unlimited plan after they announced that they will include 10GB hotspot. Now that ATT announced this, I am still planning to switch. I get a 20% discount, but even then this is a bad deal. After the discount, this is $112 plus probably at least $10 in taxes and fees.

How can ATT be $22 more expensive than T-mobile after giving a discount and while not offering hotspot and while a recent report shows that T-Mobile has a better network?
    bigpicsnetmage
  • Reply 11 of 32
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    bluefire1 said:
    It's a joke.  Switched from AT&T to T-Mobile last July after being on AT&T for about 15 years.  NO regrets.
    bigpics
  • Reply 12 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    You have to at least beat Verizon on price, AT&T. Your network sucks compared to theirs.
    edited February 2017 lordjohnwhorfinmrboba1
  • Reply 13 of 32
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,273member
    darkvader said:
    adyb said:
    It's even expensive in the US.  Same 4 lines, pretty much the same coverage, and it's $160 with T-Mobile.

AT&T isn't really even trying.
    For the $20, I'll take the better coverage with AT&T. At least where I live and work.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    What on Earth are they smoking? Verizon comes up with unlimited for $80 (okay, plus tax, throttling above 22GB, limited tethering, and requires autopay from a checking account or a debit card). T-Mobile counters with a $70 unlimited everything plan (throttling above 23GB, tons of really, really cool benefits such as 20cents/minute world roaming and free international roaming data and texting, 10GB tethering, and it's $70 AFTER TAXES AND FEES.
    AT&T waits for a few days after these announcements and counters with a $100 plan? At this point who could possibly want to stay with AT&T???
    bigpics
  • Reply 15 of 32

Soli said:
    You have to at least beat Verizon on price, AT&T. Your network sucks compare to theirs.
    Their network sucks compared to T-Mobile's. I constantly carry two phones, a personal iPhone on T-Mo and a work iPhone on AT&T. I do occasional speed tests on both and I'm amazed by how over the past year T-Mobile's coverage and speed have improved and AT&T hasn't. T-Mo has been catching up and its coverage map equals that of Verizon. Meanwhile, AT&T has been busy ripping people off with their overpriced plans.
    bigpics
  • Reply 16 of 32
    FYI - I called AT&T yesterday and laid down the law. Been a loyal AT&T customer for over a decade including grandfathered iPhone plan from the first iPhone yet still no tethering and recently announced $5/month price increase, lame for us loyal customers. Told them to earn my future business or I was going to T-Mobile. Call took 20 minutes but I ended up getting unlimited everything INCLUDING UNLIMITED TETHERING for $60 + taxes for a single line. Online it shows it is a $40 3GB data plan amended internally to unlimited data for $40 + $20 for the line equaling $60. CUT MY PLAN IN HALF!!!
    edited February 2017 stardustag
  • Reply 17 of 32
    macmarcus said:
    FYI - I called AT&T yesterday and laid down the law. Been a loyal AT&T customer for over a decade including grandfathered iPhone plan from the first iPhone yet still no tethering and recently announced $5/month price increase, lame for us loyal customers. Told them to earn my future business or I was going to T-Mobile. Call took 20 minutes but I ended up getting unlimited everything INCLUDING UNLIMITED TETHERING for $60 + taxes for a single line. Online it shows it is a $40 3GB data plan amended internally to unlimited data for $40 + $20 for the line equaling $60. CUT MY PLAN IN HALF!!!
    I think ATT has basically given up on the consumer.  Most consumers don't bother negotiating and leave.  ATT is focused on businesses where negotiating and discounting are standard practice. (what you did)

The problem is they're not bothering keeping up with the Jones.  I'm not even sure they're better than Sprint.  What a poorly run company...  

I hope they're saving their pennies for a huge 5G rollout, otherwise what they're doing makes no sense.

They are fortunate to have bought DirecTV otherwise their future would have looked bleak.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 18 of 32

Soli said:
    You have to at least beat Verizon on price, AT&T. Your network sucks compare to theirs.
    Their network sucks compared to T-Mobile's. I constantly carry two phones, a personal iPhone on T-Mo and a work iPhone on AT&T. I do occasional speed tests on both and I'm amazed by how over the past year T-Mobile's coverage and speed have improved and AT&T hasn't. T-Mo has been catching up and its coverage map equals that of Verizon. Meanwhile, AT&T has been busy ripping people off with their overpriced plans.
    No, no it doesn't. I happily have T-Mo switching from AT&T a couple years back but the actual coverage is nowhere near what Verizon has. There is a huge gap in signal  with no low band spectrum even on the horizon where I am in North Carolina (see http://www.spectrumgateway.com/t-mobile-700a-spectrum) and other places that cause dead spots all across the country. Even when they get all these spots up and running, they still don't cover as well.

I hear it's absolutely great where they do, but please don't say they are equivalent to Verizon in coverage, because it is just not true. I live with it because I canned AT&T after being with them for a dozen years, and could never stomach the thought of Verizon.

• Reply 19 of 32
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    williamh said:
    bluefire1 said:
    It's a joke.  Switched from AT&T to T-Mobile last July after being on AT&T for about 15 years.  NO regrets.
    But how do I verify coverage is going to work for the places I go?  ATT works where I need it and that is what makes it hard.  We have 6 phones on the plan so have to cater to everyone's needs.  Guess that is what makes it hard to switch.  If just my wife and I then would be easier but still, how do people test coverage?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 20 of 32
    jvmbjvmb Posts: 59member
    icoco3 said:
    But how do I verify coverage is going to work for the places I go?  ATT works where I need it and that is what makes it hard.  We have 6 phones on the plan so have to cater to everyone's needs.  Guess that is what makes it hard to switch.  If just my wife and I then would be easier but still, how do people test coverage?
    Every basic Nokia used to have a way to scan for networks and show the strength of each. I don't think an iPhone has this feature. 

T-mobile has a prepaid plan for $3/month for 30 minutes and $0.10/minute after that. You can use that to try T-mobile for a while. 
    icoco3