As Apple explores truly wireless iPhone charging, Disney Research demos cord-free room con...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    spice-boy said:
    tundraboy said:
    Yup.  Can somebody knowledgeable please talk about how being subjected to all this radiation can affect humans?

I fear that corporate profits will Trump human safety, the sellers of tobacco have proven this. 
    The Mouse controls all things.  The Mouse is all-powerful.  When Chuck Norris creates fire by rubbing two ice cubes together, it is only because The Mouse permits it. 
  • Reply 22 of 34
    ireland said:
    Please let the human race come up with one open way to do this. It's one thing I don't want anyone to own.
    One word: Solar.

We're already OK with having glass fronts and backs on the phones, so it lends itself to having dozens of tiny solar receptors under the glass to absorb power. I don't see this as a primary charging method. I don't think that is the end game. I see it as way of constantly recharging, constantly supplementing the power level. AKA, extending battery life, which is far more important than "how you charge your phone."

Under the right conditions and with the right optimizations, this could extend usage beyond hours into days, or longer.
    larrya
  • Reply 23 of 34
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    What is Disney doing researching wireless charging? 

My guess is Disney needing to be deal with visitors and employees at their theme parks wanting to recharge their devices. That would mean creating a solution for all devices regardless of vendor. Quite a challenge. 
  • Reply 24 of 34
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    Mirroring the immortal words of a whole bunch of people.
    Nobody needs more 640mm radius wireless power, 1280mm tops.

Who needs the whole lounge room wireless power just a one metre zone somewhere useful to drop phones and laptops overnight.
    Yes pads are too small to the point you might as well just plug in. Still only a small range and one point covers say a four desk cluster. A home drop zone. Airports / coffee shops a couple on a stand up bench cover a whole bunch of people.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    So... what does all that stuff do to a human being?

also... anyone else think the copper pole looked a bit... alternative? Lol

no thanks. I don't want to live in a microwave oven with a stripper pole in the middle. 
    Why not? You can stay warm, have your food cooked and the stripper doesn't have to bring her own pole, they're heavy to carry around. If you get too hot, stick the fan on. Disney has thought of everything here.

They cover the safety aspect in the paper:

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/disneyresearch/wp-content/uploads/20170215220933/Quasistatic-Cavity-Resonance-for-Ubiquitous-Wireless-Power-Transfer-Paper.pdf

Scroll past the equations to page 8.

"These [safety] results show that it is possible to safely transmit 1.9 kilowatts of power to a receiver at 90% efficiency, which is equivalent to charging 320 USB powered devices. However, there is a dependency between the maximum permissible power level and transfer efficiency, since unused power is stored in the high Q-factor QSCR room. While standard methods such as real-time power tracking can be used to monitor the link efficiency between the room and receiver to ensure safe operation, it should be noted that even at the low end of the efficiency scale it is possible to safely transmit 100 watts of power, providing a significant amount of utility. Finally, for distances close to the pole (i.e. < 46cm) standard RF safety strategies such as intrusion detection or adding a mechanical keep-out in the form of a decorative wall can be employed."

Awww, the stripper can't use the pole after all, it will have to be hidden behind a fake wall or pillar:

http://www.fauxpanels.com/portfolio-decorative-columns-wraps.php

So the limit they came up with was 1.9kW transmission safely. It doesn't need to be anywhere near that much. A laptop is <100W, a phone/tablet is <10W, a wearable is ~1W. A 100-300W transmitter can charge every portable device in the home.

The devices don't need charged constantly so the charging field doesn't have to be turned on all the time, 200W for 1 hour would charge every device in a home for a day. The device can make a request to the pole to send it power and it can transmit whatever is needed until the charge is topped up. The setup can tell if people are in the room to do the charging when devices are just left lying around e.g overnight charging. It might be better to do it vertically than horizontally and only transmit power at the point a device is located in the room and it's less likely to pass through someone. People aren't going to want metal wall panels in their house so this particular method isn't suitable but someone will come up with a commercially viable solution.

People always say that it's easy enough to just plug things in but the reason we have plugs in the first place and in the locations they are in is because of trying to provide power in the best way for its everyday use (which has changed over time). Think of electrical sockets on either side of a bed, what if you want to move the bed to the other wall? You'd have to add more plugs to the wall or put an extension cord round the wall. Just to power a bedside lamp for a couple of hours and maybe charge a watch and phone. People still have to trail electrical cables all over the place to vacuum stairs. A vacuum cleaner is a bit too high power but power drills and things like that, even kitchen utensils like electric knives and whisks.

Wireless charging can also be safer. Once you switch on a socket, it will keep providing power even if something goes on fire. Wireless takes away the physical contact and it can detect if there's a problem and shut off the transmission and vary the power transmission before it reaches the device. It's also universal.

Even if we have to stick to some form of wired solution, the socket plugs aren't the best setup. Having skirting boards or flat socket panels that you can just stick a flat magnetic puck onto would be better.
    edited February 2017 patchythepirateRayz2016
  • Reply 26 of 34
    avon b7 said:
    I may be mistaken but I think decades ago, wireless energy distribution was looked at as a means to transport electricity into homes but was ruled out as there was no way to determine how much people were receiving to be able to charge them. They opted for cables and meters.
    Tesla was working on this stuff as early as the 1890s.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    Marvin said:

no thanks. I don't want to live in a microwave oven with a stripper pole in the middle. 
    Why not? You can stay warm, have your food cooked and the stripper doesn't have to bring her own pole, they're heavy to carry around. If you get too hot, stick the fan on. Disney has thought of everything here.

They cover the safety aspect in the paper:

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/disneyresearch/wp-content/uploads/20170215220933/Quasistatic-Cavity-Resonance-for-Ubiquitous-Wireless-Power-Transfer-Paper.pdf

Scroll past the equations to page 8.

"These [safety] results show that it is possible to safely transmit 1.9 kilowatts of power to a receiver at 90% efficiency, which is equivalent to charging 320 USB powered devices. However, there is a dependency between the maximum permissible power level and transfer efficiency, since unused power is stored in the high Q-factor QSCR room. While standard methods such as real-time power tracking can be used to monitor the link efficiency between the room and receiver to ensure safe operation, it should be noted that even at the low end of the efficiency scale it is possible to safely transmit 100 watts of power, providing a significant amount of utility. Finally, for distances close to the pole (i.e. < 46cm) standard RF safety strategies such as intrusion detection or adding a mechanical keep-out in the form of a decorative wall can be employed."

Awww, the stripper can't use the pole after all, it will have to be hidden behind a fake wall or pillar:

http://www.fauxpanels.com/portfolio-decorative-columns-wraps.php

So the limit they came up with was 1.9kW transmission safely. It doesn't need to be anywhere near that much. A laptop is <100W, a phone/tablet is <10W, a wearable is ~1W. A 100-300W transmitter can charge every portable device in the home.

The devices don't need charged constantly so the charging field doesn't have to be turned on all the time, 200W for 1 hour would charge every device in a home for a day. The device can make a request to the pole to send it power and it can transmit whatever is needed until the charge is topped up. The setup can tell if people are in the room to do the charging when devices are just left lying around e.g overnight charging. It might be better to do it vertically than horizontally and only transmit power at the point a device is located in the room and it's less likely to pass through someone. People aren't going to want metal wall panels in their house so this particular method isn't suitable but someone will come up with a commercially viable solution.

People always say that it's easy enough to just plug things in but the reason we have plugs in the first place and in the locations they are in is because of trying to provide power in the best way for its everyday use (which has changed over time). Think of electrical sockets on either side of a bed, what if you want to move the bed to the other wall? You'd have to add more plugs to the wall or put an extension cord round the wall. Just to power a bedside lamp for a couple of hours and maybe charge a watch and phone. People still have to trail electrical cables all over the place to vacuum stairs. A vacuum cleaner is a bit too high power but power drills and things like that, even kitchen utensils like electric knives and whisks.

Wireless charging can also be safer. Once you switch on a socket, it will keep providing power even if something goes on fire. Wireless takes away the physical contact and it can detect if there's a problem and shut off the transmission and vary the power transmission before it reaches the device. It's also universal.

Even if we have to stick to some form of wired solution, the socket plugs aren't the best setup. Having skirting boards or flat socket panels that you can just stick a flat magnetic puck onto would be better.
    First Prototype to hide smaller pole in room for wireless charging.

Even has power cord to switch it off when not in use.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The warehouse situation has huge potential for the likes of Amazon right now.  The aluminum lined walls and copper pipes would hardly be an issue if it meant robots could be continuously charged. That's just one example out of hundreds I can think of.  
    mattinoz
  • Reply 29 of 34
    I'd like to write "I told you", but I won't. Because I didn't. Hard to believe that Disney did this completely on their own account. 
    Anyway, this could solve the battery issue from a different point of angle: don't need better batteries. Just make charging omnipresent. Or, quasi. 

Cool stuff. Can't wait to have this around as standard. Mice, tablets, wacoms, pens, watches, keyboards - say goodbye to worrying about charge. When this finally works, of course. 
    Hahaha... The idea and Disney's implementation are both ridiculous. This ain't gonna happen for consumers.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 30 of 34
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mattinoz said:
    Who needs the whole lounge room wireless power just a one metre zone somewhere useful to drop phones and laptops overnight.
    Yes pads are too small to the point you might as well just plug in. Still only a small range and one point covers say a four desk cluster. A home drop zone. Airports / coffee shops a couple on a stand up bench cover a whole bunch of people.
    No one needs lots of things. The question is, is there a future out there where as soon as you enter your home and join your network your devices simply start charging. I think there is. Or imagine entering Starbucks and your iPhone simply starts charging, in your pocket without need to place it anywhere. That's convenience and that kind of seamless convenience is what the future of technology is all about. No-brainer solutions that just work. And once again, my vision here, which I'm sure has been thought of many times, is a future where your router and wireless charger are the same physical device with roughly the same range and the same password—"what's your password?"—boom!—internet and power.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 31 of 34
    This article reminds me of a rumor I heard of when I was young, maybe in 70's.  At that time, Okinawa was occupied by the US.  There was (still is?) a radio broadcast station called VoA (Voice of America) in Okinawa which aired a program intended for people in red China as propaganda.  Since radio signal was so strong so that it reaches the mainland China, the local people in Okinawa was able to turn the lights on by catching the signal with a wire stretching between two poles. 
  • Reply 32 of 34

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  My first thought was "Why is that table next to the stripper pole?  Won't it get in the way?"
  • Reply 33 of 34
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,663member
    avon b7 said:
    I may be mistaken but I think decades ago, wireless energy distribution was looked at as a means to transport electricity into homes but was ruled out as there was no way to determine how much people were receiving to be able to charge them. They opted for cables and meters.
    Yeah, the one I had in mind though was in the UK and possibly 1930s or 40s. I haven't actually been able to find any reference to it. 
  • Reply 34 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Yeah, the one I had in mind though was in the UK and possibly 1930s or 40s. I haven't actually been able to find any reference to it. 
    From the little I've read is the big difference in the latest development which I believe was done at MIT is the resonant coupling so that only a the desired specific receiver gets any power. Rifle shot as opposed to scatter gun.