Apple plans $51M expansion of Reno iCloud data center, codenamed 'Project Isabel'

Posted:
in iCloud
Apple's data center operations in Reno, Nev., continue to expand, with the company now pursuing an additional 375,000 square feet of space to power its iCloud services, AppleInsider has learned.

A permit for the "Project Isabel" expansion was submitted on Feb. 2 and immediately withdrawn, but not before the filing could be captured by BuildZoom. In it, Apple revealed it hopes to build 8 clusters of buildings with a total square footage of 372,893.

The project is valued at $50.7 million, and also includes the buildout of an administration building, garage building, and generator yard.

The permit was submitted by contractor FCI Group, on behalf of client Apple.

Apple previously received a permit for the same property for commercial contracting. And though the latest permit for the $51 million Project Isabel has been withdrawn, BuildZoom revealed to AppleInsider that the filing notes the permit will be resubmitted.

The property in question is located on the same parcel of land as Apple's other data center operations. Just over a year ago, Apple filed for another expansion in Reno, a project that was dubbed "Project Huckleberry.".

Before Project Huckleberry, Apple's operations comprised 14 buildings and 412,000 square feet. The Reno Technology Park site is a 345-acre plot of land 15 minutes east of downtown Reno.

The iCloud operator is also planning to open a 200-megawatt solar farm to power its Reno facility by early 2019.

Apple's Reno data center supports various cloud platforms, including Siri, FaceTime, and iMessages.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    sog35 said:
    Time for Apple to dominate CLOUD.

Anyway I sold some more Apple stock today at All time highs.

Pretty much exiting my position.  Only holding about 30% of my holdings since last month. Tim Cook has served me WELL!

The thing about Apple is its always open to huge 30-40% drops in stock price.  I'll hold my small position in Apple and load up again once it drops 30-40% in the next 18 months.
    There’s a reason Jim Cramer called AAPL the most manipulated stock on the planet. Investors play the doomed/not doomed game and make a crapton of money to boot.
    tmay
  • Reply 2 of 6
    sog35 said:
    lkrupp said:
    sog35 said:

Pretty much exiting my position.  Only holding about 30% of my holdings since last month. Tim Cook has served me WELL!

The thing about Apple is its always open to huge 30-40% drops in stock price.  I'll hold my small position in Apple and load up again once it drops 30-40% in the next 18 months.
    There’s a reason Jim Cramer called AAPL the most manipulated stock on the planet. Investors play the doomed/not doomed game and make a crapton of money to boot.
    This is true.

Apple rarely is at fair value.  I recall only a few times in the last 5 years:

1. When it hit $700 in 2012
    2. When it hit $134 in 2015
    3. Probably this year when it hits $150-$160

But I'm pretty sure some bull crap stories will come out of the woodwork once it hits fair value. Then the stock will drop 30-40% in a 6 month period. That's when I'll buy again.

I use to be bitter about how AAPL stock was valued. No more. I have no excuse to be bitter because I know how the game works. AAPL is a stock that is 90% of the time undervalued. The key is to buy it when its RIDICULOUSLY undervalued. I'd say mid to late 2018 will be the next opportunity.
     :| 
    stantheman
  • Reply 3 of 6
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    sog35 said:

So that means we can look forward to you not frantically ranting and shitting your pants 24/7 when the stock drops, like you've always done? Or do you need to exit completely for that to happen? Cause that would be amazing. 

I also sold around 400 shares these past couple days. and lock in some gains But unlike you, I've always been confident about Cook and the fact that the stock will recover, and I look forward to nay future drops to add to my position. In your case, I suggest selling off completely so you can cut your emotional connection with Apple stock. 
  • Reply 4 of 6
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

So that means we can look forward to you not frantically ranting and shitting your pants 24/7 when the stock drops, like you've always done? Or do you need to exit completely for that to happen? Cause that would be amazing. 

Hopefully, it will reduce by 70% since he held on to only 30%.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    techrulestechrules Posts: 53unconfirmed, member
    They have been outsourcing their cloud to Google. Does this mean they are going to take it in house?

Also, what happened to McQueen? That was the cloud project over a year ago to do their own cloud. Does this replace that effort?

"Google Gets Apple to Jump Aboard Its Cloud Business (Though It May Not Last) Apple is a paying Google customer -- until its project "McQueen" comes, that is."

http://www.recode.net/2016/3/16/11587042/google-gets-apple-to-jump-aboard-its-cloud-business-though-it-may-not

I am a little worried about the cost. How can Apple do it competitively compared to Google who has far greater scale?

Why are they trying to do their own?
    edited February 2017