Apple buys iCloud.net domain, shuts down associated Asian social network

Posted:
in iCloud edited February 2017
As part of efforts to bring its online assets under one roof, Apple recently purchased iCloud.net from a small Chinese social network, one of the last product related domains not currently under its control.

It is not clear when Apple took ownership of iCloud.net, which most recently served as the home of an eponymous social network, but recent checks by TechCrunch reveal the domain is registered to the Cupertino tech giant. The who.is information was updated on Tuesday to reflect ownership changes, suggesting the handover took place recently.

Earlier this week, a tipster told AppleInsider that Apple paid some $1.5 million for the domain, but we were unable to confirm the transaction. TechCrunch was also unable to corroborate financial details. When asked about the domain takeover, Apple declined requests for comment.

Shortly before iCloud launched in 2011, Apple was rumored to have paid $4.5 million to Swedish software company Xcerion for the iCloud.com domain. The actual amount was later revealed to be closer to $5.2 million, making the currently rumored $1.5 million figure for iCloud.net a bargain.

As noted in the report, iCloud.net was one of the few remaining web entities not already owned by Apple. During the last nearly six years, the company has registered for, or outright purchased, web addresses related to its online service offerings. Though a few exceptions exist, Apple owns more than 170 iCloud-related domains, including iCloud.us, iCloudsales.com and myiCloud.net, among others.

Why Apple decided to purchase iCloud.net after nearly six years is unclear. TechCrunch speculates the move might be related to Apple's rumored video and image sharing app. The product, which is supposedly set for launch later this year, is akin to established sharing services Snapchat and Instagram in that it will allow users to record video, apply filters and send the resulting content to contacts or upload it to existing networks like Facebook or Twitter.

Whatever Apple's motive, the iCloud.net social network that has been in operation since 2011 is no longer active and all data associated with the erstwhile site will be expunged on Mar. 1.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    "One of the last product related domains not currently under its control."

I think you're forgetting about iPad.com still not being owned by Apple 
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I wonder when it is going to become Apple Cloud.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    I wish Apple would have the clout to move all of its cloud services to apple.com.

iCloud is a ridiculous name.

>:x
  • Reply 4 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Lucky bastard who owned that domain. An injection of $1M+ into your bank account simply for handing a domain to Apple would be nice.
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mr o said:
    I wish Apple would have the clout to move all of its cloud services to apple.com.

I don't know, I'm pretty used to iCloud now. Re iCloud the name is the least of their worries.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 7 of 11
    iCloud is such a name for Apple it would be a bad idea to rename it. Whats next, rename iPhone to Apple Phone? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lol at the idea of them renaming it.  So I'll have an @mac, @me, @icloud ;and @newapplename email address?

They've done this a laughable number of times already.  Knock it off.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 9 of 11
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    ireland said:
    mr o said:

I don't know, I'm pretty used to iCloud now. Re iCloud the name is the least of their worries.
    Agreed - the last thing Apple should do is change the name of their cloud service yet again. 

Now, if they would only improve the functionality so it actually takes less than a minute to load or do a search then they might have a usable service. I don't want to give my data to Google, but next to gmail and google docs, iCloud's mail server and online document tools are a sad joke. I've all but quit using the search tool online because more often than not it times out before completing a search.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I'm pleased that Apple are buying these (apparently) related domain names. Whether Apple actually uses them or not, it takes them out of reach of sharks who might otherwise exploit them. It's too easy to put up a look-alike web-site and ensnare the innocent and naive who think they've used the right name for the real iCloud.

There are similar web sites, in UK at least, who will supply a chargeable service to get you a UK government service or an Australian visa or whatever. They play upon their high Google rankings to capture the unwary who think such things are chargeable. And they're the "legitimate" ones.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    command_f said:
    I'm pleased that Apple are buying these (apparently) related domain names. Whether Apple actually uses them or not, it takes them out of reach of sharks who might otherwise exploit them. It's too easy to put up a look-alike web-site and ensnare the innocent and naive who think they've used the right name for the real iCloud.

There are similar web sites, in UK at least, who will supply a chargeable service to get you a UK government service or an Australian visa or whatever. They play upon their high Google rankings to capture the unwary who think such things are chargeable. And they're the "legitimate" ones.
    yeah indeed, and china is already monitoring and spying alot on data ;)