Apple's Tim Cook marks Steve Jobs's 62nd birthday on Twitter

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple CEO Tim Cook took to Twitter on Friday to mark what would've been the 62nd birthday of his predecessor, company co-founder Steve Jobs.

"Remembering Steve, whose words and ideals will always inspire us," Cook wrote. The executive added a quote by Jobs himself, "There is no reason not to follow your heart."

Cook regularly posts on Twitter whenever an anniversary from Jobs' life arrives, such as his birthday or his death from pancreatic cancer on Oct. 5, 2011.

Remembering Steve, whose words and ideals will always inspire us. "There is no reason not to follow your heart." pic.twitter.com/MihKSnbYiQ

-- Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

Jobs founded Apple along with Steve Wozniak and Ronald Wayne in 1976, initially seeing success on the back of the Apple II and Macintosh. He resigned from the company in 1985 amid internal conflicts, however, and would only return in 1997 after Apple bought out NeXT.

The executive was credited with turning Apple into the multinational giant it is today, thanks to profits from the iMac, iPod, iPhone, and iPad. Cook was hired to manage operations during this period, radically overhauling supply and manufacturing, and got an early taste of the CEO role when Jobs went on a medical hiatus in 2009.

By January 2011 Jobs was on his third medical leave, relegating his position mostly to high-level decision-making while Cook handled daily affairs. Jobs resigned and handed over the reins in August, dying just six weeks later.

Critics have sometimes complained that Cook and Apple are still living in the shadow of Jobs, unable to launch the same kinds of breakthrough products. Indeed the auditorium at Apple's new campus, Apple Park, is named the Steve Jobs Theater.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    Hard to find such attitude and respect to predecessor or elders in millenniums or Gen X.
    king editor the grateGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    Missing Steve Jobs on what would have been his 62nd birthday. Continue to RIP Steve.
    stanthemanwatto_cobrawonkothesane
  • Reply 3 of 14
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,052member
    He would have been eligible for early retirement and SSA benefits today.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    eightzero said:
    I have applied for his benefits...

/s
    SpamSandwichpatchythepirate
  • Reply 5 of 14
    macxpress said:
    eightzero said:
    I have applied for his benefits...

/s
    Good luck with that. ;)
  • Reply 6 of 14
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Was watching a Steve Jobs Vs. Bill Gates documentary. 

Man if Steve wouldn't have trusted that scumbag, Macs would have had majority marketshare and Apple would have reached a Trillion dollars years ago. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Thank you Steve for a great company to work for, great products, and great stock options that I'm still holding after 20 years and now retired at 53 debt free. That's my American dream. RIP and keep innovating Apple Inc....
    The last time I saw Steve was only about a month or two before he passed. I was walking around on a break in IL 6 and saw him in the distance down the long hall, I looked down and thought of saying something to him as I was getting closer and closer, but felt intimidated to say anything. I was normal SW tester, I didn't work anywhere near Steve, what was I gonna say anyways? But, I sure must have looked uncomfortable and affected by him approaching me, and as I passed him, I looked up to acknowledge him and at least give him a nod, and he looked at me with this perfect smile and just walked by. He could tell I was uncomfortable probably by my body language alone, but he just looked and gave me this reassuring, almost knowing smile. He looked so happy and peaceful at that moment. Every other time had I passed him around campus he was busy talking with someone, or taking a coffee break in the atrium with coworkers, or walking speedily across the courtyard with a prototype in a black bag or box, and always very focused and serious and usually not available in any way, but that time he was just walking down the hall the same as I was probably just airing out his head on a break. I will have that memory and souvenir in my mind for my whole life and more than any work related stuff I ever did there, it stands out above all other things.
    SpamSandwichjbishop1039christopher126macxpressking editor the gratearlomediabuzdotspatchythepiratewatto_cobrawonkothesane
  • Reply 8 of 14
    appleempl said:
    Thank you Steve for a great company to work for, great products, and great stock options that I'm still holding after 20 years and now retired at 53 debt free. That's my American dream. RIP and keep innovating Apple Inc....
    The last time I saw Steve was only about a month or two before he passed. I was walking around on a break in IL 6 and saw him in the distance down the long hall, I looked down and thought of saying something to him as I was getting closer and closer, but felt intimidated to say anything. I was normal SW tester, I didn't work anywhere near Steve, what was I gonna say anyways? But, I sure must have looked uncomfortable and affected by him approaching me, and as I passed him, I looked up to acknowledge him and at least give him a nod, and he looked at me with this perfect smile and just walked by. He could tell I was uncomfortable probably by my body language alone, but he just looked and gave me this reassuring, almost knowing smile. He looked so happy and peaceful at that moment. Every other time had I passed him around campus he was busy talking with someone, or taking a coffee break in the atrium with coworkers, or walking speedily across the courtyard with a prototype in a black bag or box, and always very focused and serious and usually not available in any way, but that time he was just walking down the hall the same as I was probably just airing out his head on a break. I will have that memory and souvenir in my mind for my whole life and more than any work related stuff I ever did there, it stands out above all other things.
    Nice. :)
  • Reply 9 of 14
    JchasickJchasick Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Happy birthday boss... we really really really miss you
    watto_cobrahammeroftruthjony0
  • Reply 10 of 14
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    appleempl said:
    Great moment in time for sure.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    wood1208 said:
    Hard to find such attitude and respect to predecessor or elders in millenniums or Gen X.
    You do realize that the span of years of Gen x are 1961 - 1981, and that Tim was born in 1960. So I guess there was huge shift in respect and values in one year from 1960 to 1961 then ? 🤔

Your comment in regard to Millennials ( I am not sure what Millenniums are in regard to people ) I can agree with. I deal with these younger folks and their sense of entitlement on a regular basis. It's about them and now! With some exceptions of course. There are still some good parents left that are raising well rounded kids .. that's a whole other conversation , not for this thread... 

• Reply 12 of 14
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    wood1208 said:
    Because they all think they are "special snowflakes"( using it in the pejorative sense)...
    when Steve Jobs was actually a Special Snowflake. ( non-pejorative sense)
    ...he did have a unique take on things,  and could be really cold to employees...

edited February 2017
  • Reply 13 of 14
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    sog35 said:
    cali said:
    Was watching a Steve Jobs Vs. Bill Gates documentary. 

Man if Steve wouldn't have trusted that scumbag, Macs would have had majority marketshare and Apple would have reached a Trillion dollars years ago. 
    who cares?

mobile is where its at anyway.  
    The entire computing landscape would most likely be completely different than it has been under the control of Gates and Microsoft. Who knows what would have happened. Maybe we would have been much further ahead today. Yes mobile is where it's at today but maybe we would have been there sooner or maybe Apple wouldn't have been the leader.