Revised LG UltraFine 5K display with enhanced RF shielding ships from Apple online store o...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    For what its worth, Dell no longer has their 27" 5K monitor for sale, the first true 5K monitor (the one that required two DisplayPorts to run in 5K). B&H lists it as "discontinued." So presumably its replacement will be along shortly.

LG really screwed the pooch here -- Apple handed them an extended window of opportunity that Dell is going to close soon. Maybe not this month (March), but soon, and you can bet your ass it won't have any shielding problems.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    It is pretty obvious that the people who hate it have never seen it in person.  I saw it last night in the Apple Store connected to a Mac Pro and it is a beautiful display.  It has a clean matte black finish with a small LG logo.  The display quality is amazing too, a nice bright screen and the retina image quality is flawless.  The huge benefit with this display (like every other third-party display) compared to the Apple display, is the ability to adjust the height in addition to the tilt.  The major complaint of the Apple display is that you could only tilt it forward and backward.  Apple displays had no height adjustment because apparently Apple believed everyone is the same height.  The Mac Pro drove this display perfectly, and all it needed was the Apple Thunderbolt 3/USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.  This display should also work with the MacBook Pro 15" Mid-2015 model with the upgraded Radeon R9 M370X graphics card using the same Thunderbolt 3/USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.  That is the only 2015 MacBook Pro that supports 5120 x 2880 at 60Hz over Thunderbolt.  I would much rather have a third party display that offers height adjustment, than the old overpriced non-retina Apple Thunderbolt display.

I have a Samsung 24" 16:10 secondary display on my iMac 27" and I like it as a secondary display because it gives me 1920 x 1200 resolution, rather than 1920 x 1080.  I get more vertical pixels which is a nice benefit for some programs.  Again, something that Apple did not offer in their 16:9-only displays of recent.

Apple had their fair share of turd displays in the past.  The early monitors of the late 80s and early 90s were superior with their Sony-based Trinitron CRTs.  Then they started cutting corners and the AppleDisplay 1710 was plagued with problems.  Then they went even cheaper by dropping the superior Trinitron tube and going VGA with shadow-mask CRTs.  Even some of their early LCDs were lousy.  Apple never made their own monitors or LCDs.  They always chose CRTs and LCDs from other vendors and then slapped their own case around it with an Apple logo, and typically a higher price tag.  Back in the 90s, Apple dropped all of their printers because they were re-branded Canon and HP printers with an Apple logo on it.  Jobs even said "we don't need to make printers when the other guys already do it."  Same goes for displays.  At least the 5K UltraSharp says LG and not Dell!
    pulseimages
  • Reply 23 of 24
    tedp88tedp88 Posts: 20member
    Are LG Monitors in general just hit or miss on quality?
    my experience with LG products (3 phones, refrigerator, TV, various other electronics) has been 75% hit, 25% miss. They generally make a good product but lemons get through. 
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 24 of 24
    tedp88tedp88 Posts: 20member
    I was in an Apple Store recently and it was jarring how out of place these monitors looked on the sales floor. First impression, it really feels like a major step backwards.