Official webpage hints at Apple Pay's imminent arrival in Italy

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple's Italian website now includes a section dedicated to Apple Pay, confirming earlier signs that the mobile payment option is coming to the country in the near future.

The new page mainly explains the standard details of Apple Pay, with the promise that the platform is "coming soon." Boon, UniCredit, and Carrefour will be the country's initial supporting financial services, with cards from Visa and MasterCard.

Typically Apple doesn't announce the exact dates of Apple Pay rollouts, which could mean it will be days or weeks before an Italian launch.

In late February, translated support documents for Apple Pay made it to Apple's Italian and German websites. The German site, however, has yet to be upgraded with a dedicated section.

Earlier on Tuesday Apple Pay launched in Ireland, with support similar to Italy in the sense of offering two conventional banks -- KBC Bank Ireland and Ulster Bank -- plus Boon, which is a European service tied to MasterCard.

Apart from Italy and Germany, one the next destinations for Apple Pay should be Taiwan, since several banks there were recently granted approval for it by the country's Financial Supervisory Commission. A page with a "coming soon" disclaimer was added to Apple Taiwan's website in February.

Apple Pay first debuted in Oct. 2014. While initially U.S.-only, it has gradually rolled out to other countries including Australia, Canada, China, France, Japan, New Zealand, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, and the U.K.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Question:
    If I have Apple Pay set up with my US credit card, does that mean that I can use it in other countries where there's Apple Pay?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    fred1 said:
    Question:
    If I have Apple Pay set up with my US credit card, does that mean that I can use it in other countries where there's Apple Pay?
    Yes, I have done in Germany and Austria since October 2014. More and more places with NFC-enabled card readers accept Pay even though it's not offically launched in Germany yet.

i also tried Pay in Santiago, Chile, last year, and it worked there, too. 
    watto_cobra