Apple lobbies against 'right to repair' proposal in Nebraska

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2017
As reported earlier this year, Apple has sent delegates to officially oppose the passage of a so-called "right to repair" bill in Nebraska that would require the company to provide consumers and third-party repair shops access to service manuals and parts.

State Sen. Lydia Brasch, sponsor of Nebraska's Adopt the Fair Repair Act, said Apple representative Steve Kester apprised her of the pitfalls of similar "right to repair" legislation in a recent meeting, reports BuzzFeed News.

Specifically, Kester, who handles state and local government affairs for the Cupertino tech giant, warned Nebraska will become a "Mecca for bad actors" if the bill is passed. The legislation could provide hackers and other unsavory characters hardware-level access to Apple products.

Though previous reports claimed Apple planned to send an envoy to present against the proposal, dubbed LB67, during Thursday's hearing, it appears Kester met with Brasch in private.

That Apple is at odds with LB67 is unsurprising. The company has consistently opposed similar government action, saying its products should only be serviced by qualified technicians. Apple, along with other companies like Samsung and John Deere that would also be impacted by right to repair laws, argue such legislation would expose industry secrets and could create security and safety concerns.

The arguments were presented in a letter to Brasch penned by a number of tech industry groups, including CompTIA, the Consumer Technology Association, and the Information Technology Industry Council. Apple, Microsoft, Google, Samsung, Nintendo and Sony are among the many interests represented by the various interest groups.

Apple itself contends that conducting repairs through authorized outlets like Apple stores and vetted shops provides customers with a consistent experience. Further, an authorized repair network helps the company control and protect its various hardware platforms. On that note, Apple told Brasch it would not oppose LB67 if phones were excepted from the legislation.

Proponents of right to repair claim companies like Apple are only interested in holding sway over the lucrative repair industry. Opening up the repair market would present consumers with more choices, thereby lowering out-of-pocket costs, supporters say.

The problem of choice is of great concern for users living in rural areas, as companies often position their repair facilities in major metropolitan cities. Nebraska, for example, has only one brick-and-mortar Apple store -- a mall location in Village Pointe. A handful of authorized repair shops are sprinkled throughout the state, but many customers living in remote areas are forced to travel long distances or send in their device for service.

For now, Apple seems to have won a brief reprieve in its Nebraska pursuits. At the conclusion of Thursday's hearing, the chair of the Judiciary Committee concluded LB67 is unlikely to be considered this year, citing the inherent challenges of passing new legislation, the report said.

Still, state houses in Illinois, Kansas, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York, Tennessee and Wyoming are currently mulling similar bills. Nebraska is so far the only state to hold hearings on the matter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    There once was a country,
    That never could see,
    the value of law,
    or education,
    nor integrity. 

It was discovered once,
    that bullying and dumce
    could be applied universally,
    and would only cost
    the land of the free. 
    spacerays
  • Reply 2 of 78
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This is by far the dumbest thing Apple has ever done!!    Sadly they lobby with lies, misrepresentation and bullying to get their way.    Makes me want to go back to building Linux systems.  
    dysamoriadasanman69elijahgspacerays
  • Reply 3 of 78
    This legislation is asinine. Apple is right to lobby against it.
    macplusplus
  • Reply 4 of 78
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    Apple needs to concede and walk away from this fight. The law has its roots in farmers with tractors that can't be repaired by anyone except an authorized repairman. Individuals are locked out of the opportunity to repair equipment they own without paying someone.

When the check engine light turns on in a car, you can plug in an OBD reader, get a code, refer to a manual and fix the problem. With a tractor, the light turns on or something stops working, but you can't do anything about it yourself. You need to pay an authorized person to tell you what's wrong, pay them to fix it and clear the code. Since the authorized person is the only one that can fix your equipment, they can charge whatever they want.
    dysamoriaanalogjackviclauyycirontedsandorelijahgnetmageavon b7buzdotsspacerays
  • Reply 5 of 78
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    The article said Apple only had an issue with unauthorized right to phone repair and I would imagine air pods and such. 
    chasm
  • Reply 6 of 78
    planktonplankton Posts: 108member
    Apple should lose this fight and lose it hard.
    Right now I am sitting at a desk with:
    1. An MBA2012 that Apple said needed a new logic board—the logic board needed cleaning and connectors reseating, which I did.
    2. A MacPro 2008 that needed a new power supply—scavenged by me from a dead machine and now running Sierra with hacks from dosdude.
    3. A 2009 iMac that had a GPU board with solder cracks under the BGA—Apple wanted $550 to replace the GPU. Since that was more than twice the value of the iMac, I pulled the GPU board and had it reflowed for $60—still going strong after 2 years.
    4. An Phone 4s on its third battery and second screen that I replaced.
    5. An iPhone5 on its second battery that I replaced.
    6. A Time Capsule that had a dead 2 TB disk that I replaced with a 4 TB drive.

All these older pieces of Apple kit have been kept out of landfill for a few extra years.  Apple brags about it solar power data centers, new HQ, etc., saving the environment, but the single biggest contribution Apple could make is to give OWNERS of their older devices access to Apple parts and manuals at reasonable prices.

dysamoriaviclauyycdasanman69cecil444elijahgwigginnetmagepaxmanavon b7spacerays
  • Reply 7 of 78
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Apple is in the wrong. They're doing the complete opposite of "environmental protection" with the sale of disposable electronics.
    birkoelijahgspacerays
  • Reply 8 of 78
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    The problem of choice is of great concern for users living in rural areas...
    Isn't that why postal services exist? I'm with Apple on this one.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I don't follow the posters here who are claiming it's Apple's duty to provide 3rd-parties with repair manuals for all their devices. If you want to take a chance with fixing your device then go to iFixit, but this isn't something Apple should be required to supply.
    radarthekatsandoranton zuykovpscooter63mac_dog
  • Reply 10 of 78
    Soli said:
    I don't follow the posters here who are claiming it's Apple's duty to provide 3rd-parties with repair manuals for all their devices. If you want to take a chance with fixing your device then go to iFixit, but this isn't something Apple should be required to supply.

What would you achieve by going to iFixit, when you don't have the parts to repair your device? Figure out that your device cannot be repaired by anyone except the manufacturer? This is not just wrong on the part of Apple, all the companies do this all the time, creating E-Waste much more than required. This should be stopped immediately. If making a law is the only way to achieve it, so be it. If companies "design" the products to be "use and throw", that should also be stopped. Hopefully, this law will help in achieving it.
    edited March 2017 cecil444dysamoriaelijahgspacerays
  • Reply 11 of 78
    plankton said:
    Apple brags about it solar power data centers, new HQ, etc., saving the environment, but the single biggest contribution Apple could make is to give OWNERS of their older devices access to Apple parts and manuals at reasonable prices.

Well said!!! Exactly my thoughts. Whenever I read about Apple's green initiatives, it would remind me of the millions of "use and throw" gadgets that Apple is hell bent on manufacturing everyday, instead of "designing" them for reuse and recycle.
    cecil444dysamoriaelijahgspacerays
  • Reply 12 of 78
    Soli said:
    What would you achieve by going to iFixit, when you don't have the parts to repair your device?
    Then buy the damn part(s) you need like everyone else, or are you are suggesting that Apple is now responsible for diagnosing what's wrong with your device, too?
    edited March 2017 pscooter63mac_dog
  • Reply 13 of 78
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    Soli said:

What would you achieve by going to iFixit, when you don't have the parts to repair your device? Figure out that your device cannot be repaired by anyone except the manufacturer? This is not just wrong on the part of Apple, all the companies do this all the time, creating E-Waste much more than required. This should be stopped immediately. If making a law is the only way to achieve it, so be it. If companies "design" the products to be "use and throw", that should also be stopped. Hopefully, this law will help in achieving it.

eBay?!

• Reply 14 of 78
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    Fk Apple!
  • Reply 15 of 78
    viclauyyc said:
    Soli said:

eBay?!

Amazon offers plenty of components, too, but I typically just buy parts form iFixit directly, even at a higher price because of the quality (which includes getting the exact part you're trying to buy). They sell new and used OEM and 3rd-party components, as well as tools, and of course their wonderful walkthroughs for pretty much anything you can imagine fixing.
    edited March 2017 netmage
  • Reply 16 of 78
    Many of us live a distance from an Apple store or service center. Generally, almost always , things last well beyond expected service. Service options are available to us all, beyond warranty. I cant believe Nebraska legislators think they need special pampering. not to mention the delicate and sophisticated electronics they expect to license locals to successfully diagnose, dismember, replace and properly reassemble it.
    What a mess, why should Apple be forced to co sign for such a mess?
    Use the proper and established system like everyone else. 
    radarthekatanton zuykovpscooter63mac_dog
  • Reply 17 of 78
    viclauyyc said:
    Soli said:

eBay?!

Reliable? Safe??? Peace of mind?????
    dysamoriaspacerays
  • Reply 18 of 78
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    What would you achieve by going to iFixit, when you don't have the parts to repair your device?
    Then buy the damn part(s) you need like everyone else, or are you are suggesting that Apple is now responsible for diagnosing what's wrong with your device, too?

Nope, I am not expecting Apple/Samsung/LG/HTC/Sony/X/Y/Z companies to diagnose what's wrong with the device, if it is out of warranty. Just make the damn parts available, so that I can go to any third party shops to try my luck instead of throwing the device to dustbin because repairing the device by Apple/Samsung/X/Y/Z company would cost the same as buying a new device. That's all.
    edited March 2017 cecil444dysamoriaelijahgspacerays
  • Reply 19 of 78
    Many of us live a distance from an Apple store or service center. Generally, almost always , things last well beyond expected service. Service options are available to us all, beyond warranty. I cant believe Nebraska legislators think they need special pampering. not to mention the delicate and sophisticated electronics they expect to license locals to successfully diagnose, dismember, replace and properly reassemble it.
    What a mess, why should Apple be forced to co sign for such a mess?
    Use the proper and established system like everyone else. 

Remember, this is not just against apple who does provide a good after sales service albeit at a higher cost. The issue comes with many OEMs who neither provide good after sales support, nor components. Higher cost of repair also contributes to more E-Waste than required. With this law, the winners would be

i) Customer

ii) Environment

vukasikacecil444dysamoriaelijahgnetmagespacerays
  • Reply 20 of 78
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    You guys who are complaining about Apple being against repairs should try reading *the entire article* next time. QUOTE "Apple told Brasch it would not oppose LB67 if phones were excepted from the legislation."
    vukasikanetmageanton zuykovfarmboy