Rumor: Apple's new iPad Pros could debut next week, with or without an event

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2017
With new iPad Pro models expected soon, a new rumor claims that Apple is set to unveil new products as soon as next week, even though no event invitations have been issued to the press.

Citing unnamed "reputable supply chain analysts," MacRumors reported on Monday that Apple is "most likely" to launch new products next week, between March 20 and 24.

While no specific products were named, it's expected that the company's iPad Pro lineup will receive a refresh soon, making them likely candidates for an update. The 9.7-inch iPad Pro hasn't been updated in about a year, while the current 12.9-inch model was introduced in the fall of 2015.

Notably, Apple typically sends out invitations for product keynote presentations ten-plus days in advance. Events are usually held on Mondays or Tuesdays.

If the imminent product launch rumor proves accurate, Apple is either planning last-minute invitations to an event, or perhaps won't be hosting an event at all. Such a move would not be unprecedented, particularly for minor spec bumps in new models.

However, Apple is rumored to launch a new flagship 10.5-inch iPad Pro, slightly larger than the current 9.7-inch model, potentially achieving a larger display in the same form factor with thinner bezels. Traditionally, a form factor change for a flagship product would justify a media event.

The 12.9-inch iPad Pro is also expected to be updated, while a third, cheaper 9.7-inch variant could replace the iPad Air 2 as an entry-level model.

There have also been sporadic rumors of a new high-end 128-gigabyte iPhone SE, doubling the current maximum capacity of the entry-level iPhone. It is not expected that the iPhone SE will se any other hardware revisions, such as a faster processor or addition of a 3D Touch display.

Finally, one report claimed Apple will also launch a new (Product)Red iPhone 7 color option, expanding the flagship iPhone lineup with a new shade of red.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    Apple has foresaken the Mac Pro, not updating it in over 3 years. Not to mention the Mac mini & iMacs. They've also discontinued their cinema displays & airport & time capsule. All they seem to be really focusing on now are their iOS devices. Their annual iPhone updates are huge events. And they seem to be touting their iPads as laptop replacements. So I seriously doubt Apple will just quietly drop the new iPad pros(including a new 10.5" bezel-less model) without holding a huge event. No way. The event will either be at the end of March or on April 4th as recently rumored. 
    doozydozenelijahg
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Apple has foresaken the Mac Pro, not updating it in over 3 years. Not to mention the Mac mini & iMacs. They've also discontinued their cinema displays & airport & time capsule. All they seem to be really focusing on now are their iOS devices. Their annual iPhone updates are huge events. And they seem to be touting their iPads as laptop replacements. So I seriously doubt Apple will just quietly drop the new iPad pros(including a new 10.5" bezel-less model) without holding a huge event. No way. The event will either be at the end of March or on April 4th as recently rumored. 

Seems like a no brainer.  The amount of free publicity that Apple receives when it holds an event is enormously valuable.  If significant updates are announced it will be via an event.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    I would buy it if it comes with 4K resolution OLED display. If OLED is impossible for now at least give us 4K. That would be great.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    My God, the whining!! The majority of 'pro' users can get a 27" 5K iMac fully loaded with 4 GHz i7, 32 GB Ram, 1 TB Flash, and 4 GB Video for $3,600, add multiple screens and external hard drives, and be just fine. Apple doesn't care about the EXTREME pro users because there are maybe a thousand of those in the US - hardly enough to dedicate development time toward. So buy a fully loaded iMac or move to Windows.
    MetriacanthosauruscyberzombieRayz2016doozydozentechprod1gyStrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 43
    I think Apple needs a plumber for their pipeline. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 6 of 43
    ronmg said:
    My God, the whining!! The majority of 'pro' users can get a 27" 5K iMac fully loaded with 4 GHz i7, 32 GB Ram, 1 TB Flash, and 4 GB Video for $3,600, add multiple screens and external hard drives, and be just fine. Apple doesn't care about the EXTREME pro users because there are maybe a thousand of those in the US - hardly enough to dedicate development time toward. So buy a fully loaded iMac or move to Windows.
    Ugh. Not whining. Just stating a fact. Apple hasn't focused on their Macs as much as they used to.  I'm a professional, and have been using macs forever. And I know you can use an iMac for professional work. I use one. And only 1,000 extreme Pro users in the US? Um...wrong. Apple used to cater exclusively to these extreme Pro users. There are many more than 1,000 out there.
    doozydozenelijahg
  • Reply 7 of 43
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Just so I understand: there might be new iPads coming because someone thinks maybe they saw something that leads them to think this. And it is possible that when something is known, there may or may not have been a public announcement in advance, because in the past things like this have or have not happened.. Have I about got it now?
    Metriacanthosaurusrandominternetpersonpscooter63elijahg
  • Reply 8 of 43
    ronmg said:
    I'm in the market for a new iMac but am prepared to wait for an update with USB-C.
    I've just bought a 28in Ilyama 4K screen to run alongside it.
    Then I'll update my NAS and that will be it for a couple of years.
    It would be nice if Apple were to come up with the goods soon.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 43
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    With ipad sales where they are, this makes sense not to do a big dog and pony show if all they are doing is a refresh of the product. I think Ipad have settle into the mature state and they are getting a few new customers and most are just replacing what they have and nothing apple will do not will drive big sales.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 43
    ronmg said:
    Yeah, stop the whining.
    Buy the almost 2 year old overpriced hardware or switch to windows.

Your "fully loaded" iMac was last updated in october of 2015 yet it still costs the same.
    The GPU in that machine is a joke, the CPU is fifth gen, not even sixth, we are at seven right now, flash is overpriced as usual and forget futureproof because it doesn't even have usb-c yet.

Clearly Apple doesn't give a shit about not even mid level pro users any more or they would update their fucking desktops at least every year.

So don't give people crap about complaining because they have every reason to.
    And for your suggestion to move to windows I have done that because I need a workstation and this is beyond anything apple sells right now.
    BUT I would love to come back to OSX.

At the end of the day, the people who complain are Apple lovers, not haters.
    TomSawyerdoozydozenlarz2112patchythepirateentropyselijahg
  • Reply 11 of 43
    ronmg said:
    Yeah, stop the whining.

Your "fully loaded" iMac was last updated in october of 2015 yet it still costs the same.
    The GPU in that machine is a joke, the CPU is fifth gen, not even sixth, we are at seven right now, flash is overpriced as usual and forget futureproof because it doesn't even have usb-c yet.

Clearly Apple doesn't give a shit about not even mid level pro users any more or they would update their fucking desktops at least every year.

And for your suggestion to move to windows I have done that because I need a workstation and this is beyond anything apple sells right now.

There is nothing wrong with the existing Mac's to choose from, regardless of when they were last updated.
    edited March 2017 fastasleeppscooter63
  • Reply 12 of 43
    ronmg said:
    Yeah, stop the whining.

There is nothing wrong with the existing Mac's to choose from, regardless of when they were last updated.
    Except the price.

Remember, Apple lovers: Apple is in the business of maximizing the profit they make from selling things. This may or may not be synonymous with making you personally happy. 

o/t (but maybe analogous): i get a kick out of ads by drug companies claiming they offer "cures." Drug companies are in the business of making customers, not cures.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 13 of 43
    ronmg said:
    Yeah, stop the whining.

Get a fucking grip on reality. There is nothing wrong with the existing Mac's to choose from, regardless of when they were last updated.
    I am sure that's why every professional who is (for now) dependent on macs is so darn happy with the way Apple handles the mac, right?
    doozydozenentropys
  • Reply 14 of 43
    pk22901pk22901 Posts: 153member
    Yeah, stop the whining.

Why do you care? 

People who buy Apple, buy it for its reliability, quality, simplicity, applications, support, security, privacy, and needed performance.

If required performance isn't met, they either wait or buy another brand.

Got simple?

• Reply 15 of 43
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    The MacPro hasn't been updated because Intel has delayed rollout of the processors required for the MacPro. They simply do not have a next generation Xeon processor that includes TB3 support. Once they do, you will likely see a refresh. Sorry but Apple is hamstrung by Intel shifting their focus to mobile processors and away from the server market.
    doozydozenmacxpresspatchythepiratepscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 43
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    On the iPad side of things, an OLED screen (like some of their competitors offer at the same price point) is probably what it will take for me to upgrade my iPad Air (and I want to upgrade - just give me a reason Apple!!).
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Yeah, stop the whining.

A lot of people went and bought the 2015 MBP's once the new ones were announced and from their comments, they seen pretty happy with them.
    At my local reseller, I've seen several new (old) 27in iMacs leaving the store since Christmas. I was in there getting my MBP repaired (broken TBolt port). The current models would never reach the volumes of the original iMac but all those I know who have them are very, very satisified with them.
    With the latest trick by MS to atart sending you adverts while you are using Windows Explorer in Windows 10, it is a wonder that they have any paying customers left.
    https://betanews.com/2017/03/12/disgustingly-sneaky-windows-10-ads/
    I will never go back to Windows but I am relying on Apple to keep one giving me an alternative. If not then I'll move to Linux.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 43
     Apple doesn't care about the EXTREME pro users because there are maybe a thousand of those in the US - hardly enough to dedicate development time toward. So buy a fully loaded iMac or move to Windows.
    So I guess Apple only sold a thousand Mac Pro's then.
    ChrisCarneval
  • Reply 19 of 43
    sog35 said:
    Sure Bob..............
    Except the last quarter (Oct-Dec2016) was the biggest quarter for Mac sales in Apple's history.
    maybe take at least those seriously:

Macworld "Pros have been dissatisfied with Apple of late, and it’s not hard to see why. The so-long-in-the-tooth-it-qualifies-as-a-fang Mac Pro hasn’t been updated in more than three years, but still commands a hefty price tag. And last fall’s new MacBook Pro added the splashy new Touch Bar while seeming to skimp on practicalities like RAM and processor power."

The Verge "Apple should stop selling four-year-old computers"

The heat must have reached even Cook as he felt the need to tell his employees that Apple is committed to the Mac and that ‘great desktops’ are coming.
    Which he said again at your beloved earnings call where he even addressed the pro users themselves.

They clearly know they have let down a lot of the pros.
    The question is if they care enough about them now to give them what they need.
    elijahg
  • Reply 20 of 43
    They clearly know they have let down a lot of the pros.
    The question is if they care enough about them now to give them what they need.
    That's not it at all. The question is whether or not Apple can make money from them by offering a specific device. Fairly, there is more to that question than meets the eye. Apple makes an infrastructure, and wide range of devices. Eliminating a specific product has consequences in other product lines.