Apple News iOS 10 update major driver of traffic to The Telegraph, users more engaged with...

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple News is proving to be a success story for venues fully invested in it, with The Telegraph seeing readers coming from the service spending more time on articles, and greater numbers of articles read per user.




"Apple News consumers are proving to be a rich part of the funnel driving into our owned and operated platforms," said Robert Bridge, chief customer officer at The Telegraph Media Group in an interview with Digiday. "And that's the hope, right? That you extend your reach through these products, then you migrate the audience into your core products."

While The Telegraph has been involved in Apple News since the September 2015 launch of the service, an increase in readership has been dramatic since the iOS 10 update.

"The main growth has been driven by the iOS 10 update and a combination of our new strategy," said Bridge. "In the modern age, people look to consume content through notifications. That doesn't mean they will always open them and click through."

The largest change for readers was the Apple News redesign in iOS 10. First shown at the 2016 WWDC, iOS 10 emphasizes individual stories and breaks articles into clear sections, including Top Stories, Trending, and topics based on the user's preference.

The iOS 10 update also introduced subscriptions, allowing users to read entire issues of publications.

The Telegraph publishes approximately 240 articles per day -- about 80 percent of its overall content. The remainder is for paid subscribers.

Bridge notes that 65 percent of readers who use the outlet's app who were referred by Apple News return to the app more than five times a month.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 11
    I'm a big fan of Apple News. Glad to hear it is working out better than Newstand.
    apple jockeylolliverJinTechlostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 1,193member
    I generally like News. However, I do wish it would only feed me articles from the publications I have as favorites. Tired of seeing "Trending" headlines from sites I would never read. Should be able to fully personalize the content myself.
    calilolliverlondon11lostkiwiadm1
  • Reply 3 of 11
    calicali Posts: 2,979member
    Stopped using it when it kept redirecting me to article websites. What's the point? This makes it no different than searching news on a browser. 

    also the recommended articles are annoying and search is terrible. If you search "app" the first recommendation is "bon appetite" not apps, not Apple but some random cooking thing that starts with "bon". 
    (I know what bon appetite means, that's not the point)

    *if these issues have been fixed I'd love to return. 
    london11
  • Reply 4 of 11
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 152member
    cali said:
    Stopped using it when it kept redirecting me to article websites. What's the point? This makes it no different than searching news on a browser. 
    I don't think this is the fault of Apple though but the source of the news organization. I tend to agree though. Other than that, I like it.
    edited March 16 lostkiwi
  • Reply 5 of 11
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 233administrator
    firelock said:
    I'm a big fan of Apple News. Glad to hear it is working out better than Newstand.
    As someone who works at an independent publisher (especially this one) my feelings on Apple News are... complex. We've run afoul of them a couple times already just due to the nature of our content. I worry greatly about the balance of power there, should it become a significant slice of traffic. Thankfully? Right now we're not seeing anything like the numbers the Telegraph does.

    To be honest, all these non-interoperable closed gardens make me really nervous. Though as of right now, by the numbers at least, AMP scares me a lot more than Apple News does. That's a whole separate topic though.

    That's not to say AN is a bad platform or app or user experience, because I don't think it is, but it's far from a perfect solution too. That's my ramble.
    lostkiwiavon b7
  • Reply 6 of 11
    JinTech said:
    cali said:
    Stopped using it when it kept redirecting me to article websites. What's the point? This makes it no different than searching news on a browser. 
    I don't think this is the fault of Apple though but the source of the news organization. I tend to agree though. Other than that, I like it.
    It's not about whose fault it is but the overall experience.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Still no access to it here in New Zealand. Why is this? Is Stuff and NZ Herald such complete mindless tossers that they don't understand who are reading their materials? Knowing NZ media companies I'm beginning to this is the case.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 1,705member
    First app I check in the morning. 
    igorsky
  • Reply 9 of 11
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 545member
    Still no access to it here in New Zealand. Why is this? Is Stuff and NZ Herald such complete mindless tossers that they don't understand who are reading their materials? Knowing NZ media companies I'm beginning to this is the case.
    Completely agree LW.  I came to comment something pretty similar.  We really need AppleNews in NZ.
    BTW.... is that DotCom on your avatar?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,416member
    jSnively said:
    firelock said:
    I'm a big fan of Apple News. Glad to hear it is working out better than Newstand.
    As someone who works at an independent publisher (especially this one) my feelings on Apple News are... complex. We've run afoul of them a couple times already just due to the nature of our content. I worry greatly about the balance of power there, should it become a significant slice of traffic. Thankfully? Right now we're not seeing anything like the numbers the Telegraph does.

    To be honest, all these non-interoperable closed gardens make me really nervous. Though as of right now, by the numbers at least, AMP scares me a lot more than Apple News does. That's a whole separate topic though.

    That's not to say AN is a bad platform or app or user experience, because I don't think it is, but it's far from a perfect solution too. That's my ramble.
    I think all News Aggregators are bad. The very fact that they 'tailor' news to what I like, wether it is me making choices or the aggregators 'learning', the end result is bad in my experience. If I read the The Guardian, and/or The Telegraph, I will get far more balanced reporting. I bet most people either get all anti Trump, or all pro Trump in their news feeds, including Facebook. It just gets tedious to always get the same point of view. 
    command_f
  • Reply 11 of 11
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 306member
    News is definitely my go to in the morning. Only thing I don't like is that the dislike button doesn't seem to have much of an effect...I keep disliking Samsung stories and they keep showing up :smiley:
    edited March 17
Sign In or Register to comment.