Editorial: An ad-free, premium social network... from Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    "Apple is in a unique position to fix a series of ugly problems with social networking"

No, they are in a unique position to fail any such attempt.

Their history is filled with repeated failures in this field. They show no evidence that they understand it at all. The technology basis for such a system is also largely a failure (iCloud).

What could possibly convince anyone that this a good idea?
    You are right.   Last thing Apple needs to do is to try to take on FaceBook in a failed attempt at social networking.   
    (I'm a little surprised DED didn't advocate buying Twitter to shut Trump down).

Don't divert programmer/development resources to something like this.  How about fixing iTunes on the Mac and windows.
    How about making SIRI actually work better and with the ability to work without a network connection
  • Reply 22 of 90
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    adamc said:
    mr o said:
    Adobe did a great job with Creative cloud and Behance. They are building a creative community around their tools. Notice how everything is integrated into their Adobe website: your profile, access to Behance, and their products.

True, the functionality of Behance is a bit limited. But again, it is a solid foundation to build upon. Much more relevant to creative professionals than the career focused corporate LinkedIn.

I hope someone at Apple takes notice. Apple has great products and services, but they are all over the place, without any sense of purpose. Shame.

>:x
    Apple is not all over the place and what do you mean by that?

Every Apple device talks to each other - you can check your msg with every Apple device you own and you can even share your work with others.

As for Adobe if I am not mistaken you need to have a subscription with them otherwise you are locked out but not with Apple.

One more thing can one use the iPad to look into a photoshop file in the cloud.
    1. I am referring to Apple.com and iCloud.com. Let alone iTunes …
    2. You don't need to be a Creative cloud subscriber to have access to the Behance creative social network.
    3. Creative cloud allows you to view and open your files on any device.

>:x
    doozydozen
  • Reply 23 of 90
    I like some of the concepts. I disagree with the App Store sales aspect of photos and content being a key point. 

But apple does does have some huge potential in this field. 

Just automatically recognising friend's faces in my photos and sharing them automatically with those friends would be great.

Amalgamate our photos from a party we all went to. Show which we chose as our favourite photos. Let us comment on the photos and party. If it's a big party then only show photos with faces of people we know - and allow comments to be shared with just friends, anyone in the photo, or everyone at the party.   

Or go a bit scary, and upload photos of me taken on unknown iPhones any time near my location. I could walk through the city and get 10 photos people accidentally took of me. 
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 24 of 90
    Ever since the previous election, It's incredibly hard to read the political garbage flowing from the guy's writing. Fake news? "Radicalized hate speech"? Or merely people you disagree with? Get real. If one truly wants to see fake news, they simply have to tune into the CIA-controlled CNN every day.
    edited March 2017 doozydozen
  • Reply 25 of 90
    There's certainly appeal in being given a diverse range of news sources, instead of the ones I am likely to agree most with. 

A portal on a story, with links to articles from different sources/perspectives. 

I also wouldnt mind if "news" sources had to agree to a code of conduct - including highly visible retractions, very clear labelling of "satire" and "opinion", and even scores based on errors. 
    ration alapple jockeydoozydozengtr
  • Reply 26 of 90
    > "Apple already has iCloud sharing features in its Photos app." And what a shambles that is. I still use it sometimes as it is the only option, but I send the link to the first photo and not to the page itself because of the dreadful formatting you can't change. Apple used to have extensive photo sharing options in earlier cloud experiments, but they somehow lost interest and tossed it all. I hope Apple will develop into the direction Dan suggests, but if the current photo sharing is the template, the effort will be DOA.
  • Reply 27 of 90
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member

Most of this is good analysis, but when Daniel talks about "Fake news", don't forget he's a hard core marxist.
    "Fake news" has an actual meaning. It refers specifically to invented stories published to troll or make money. You might get upset by media reports that you don't like or assume to be biased, but that's another thing entirely. The rest of your word salad is as completely nuts as the president's 4AM tweets.
    "Fake news" is itself a propaganda term created by the Left to suppress dissent.  
    Complete nonsense. Fake news is a real thing -- flat-out bogus BS stories. It doesn't know parties. Stop trying to blame everything you dont like in life on imagined boogeymen.
    Soliration alapple jockeydoozydozenpscooter63roundaboutnowronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 90
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The article totally misses and distorts the basis for what has and is making Apple a great company that people are loyal to:
    Apple is great because it makes great products -- and those products are great because they make people's lives better.

The article is based on a proposal that Apple should create a social network platform -- not to make people's live better, but to protect itself against attack from competition.   Once Apple starts down that road of putting itself above its loyal customers, its death is insured rather than its survival.

ration al
  • Reply 29 of 90
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member

Most of this is good analysis, but when Daniel talks about "Fake news", don't forget he's a hard core marxist.  The lies put out by "correct the record" and the Hillary campaign (eg: "Russia hacked our election!!!11!one" and that kind of BS) are considered "news" by his kind.

"Fake news" is when the truth debunks the "Fact check" and other propaganda sites.

And you know "Russia hacked our election" is a lie because...?  
    Because it's simply not a true fact. The DNC had its emails hacked -- that itself does not mean, and cannot be equated to, the election being hacked. Hacking the election implies the polling booths were manipulated, when they were not. The DNC hack exposed some dirty truths -- that the DNC was cheating and violating its own rules, and that a CNN staffer was involved. They all resigned, rightfully so. But none of that means Clinton would have or should have won had the truth not come out. Only one time since WW2 has a party kept the POTUS office for three terms, and that was Bush following Reagan. It's a fluke.
    edited March 2017 tallest skilSolidesignrpscooter63roundaboutnow
  • Reply 30 of 90
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    LOL...

I see the right-wingers are getting a bit defensive over the FakeNews and Alternative Facts their belief system is founded on...   20 years of FoxNews will do that to your brain...
    greenmeenieSoliration alWhyGeeapple jockeydoozydozendsdMacsplosionpscooter63staigard
  • Reply 31 of 90
    Ever since the previous election, It's incredibly hard to read the political garbage flowing from the guy's writing. Fake news? "Radicalized hate speech"? Or merely people you disagree with? Get real. 

DED is just an angry man child, who I don't think has contributed anything of value to this site in months. This article is something that should be passed around Apple so they can laugh their heads off at it. 

LOL...

I see the right-wingers are getting a bit defensive over the FakeNews and Alternative Facts their belief system is founded on...   20 years of FoxNews will do that to your brain...
    Doesn't the left believe there are 30,000 odd genders now? 
    tallest skilSpamSandwichmacseeker
  • Reply 32 of 90
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    I understand Daniel's perspective and think it is a worthy subject to banter about in this forum, but at some level I believe that Apple entering the social media fray with an agenda, no matter how well intentioned, could make matters even worse. Product (and services) companies entering into any market for profit must have some sort of agenda, at the very least to return value to its stakeholders directly or indirectly, so that's a given. Nobody is playing the social media game, or media market in general, game without getting a payback and having a monetization system in place to pay for it. Once you have money in the game you're going to try to defend it from all threats using whatever means you have in your control. It's very hard to be unbiased and impartial when your financial survival is at stake.

Human identity, individually and associatively, is deeply rooted in competing narratives and beliefs systems. The mere existence of human life on planet Earth has competing narratives and belief systems. Social networks and media outlets are much lower level but still subject to the same influences of competing narratives. Facebook provides a vehicle for individuals to create narratives around their own identity and social persona. Political parties (and nonsecular entities) provide a vehicle for individuals to be part of a larger group identity and social persona. Apple's social network would end up being yet another competing stream of narratives in an ever expanding ocean of competing narratives. Even if Apple vetted all contributions based on a scientifically factual basis (with apologies to the huge population of anti-science types), or even if Apple implemented a perfect all-knowing AI-based troll hunter-killer algorithm to destroy fake news and propaganda in its tracks, it would not matter. Individuals, groups, organizations, parties, etc., with their own agendas, identity, and supporting narratives will never accept anything at face value that runs counter to their belief system. Belief systems and the narratives that are created to support them do not require facts, proof, or evidence. They are also impervious to logic, scientific or otherwise, that run counter to their beliefs. Belief always trumps facts.

Regardless of the potentially honorable intentions, I'd prefer for Apple to focus on building great products and services and avoid being drawn into the messy swamp of a social network. 

tallest skilration alSpamSandwichdoozydozenpscooter63roundaboutnowMacsplosion
  • Reply 33 of 90
    Because it's simply not a true fact. 

Which you know how..?

ration alai46
  • Reply 34 of 90
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Because it's simply not a true fact. 

Which you know how..?

Because no-one has produced any evidence?
    tallest skildesignrgtr
  • Reply 35 of 90
    Apple will never be good and get social when they keep half-assing their efforts with it. Who would want to use Connect on Apple Music when it's tucked in there somewhere difficult to find? It's not developed for artists and fans to engage. Not sure why couldn't get that done at least. Even their own presence in current social media platforms is bad. If they want to be good at it, they need to get the people and resources to get to that level. Whether you or Apple like social media or not, no matter what your feelings about it is, it is a very powerful medium that Apple needs to take more seriously. It may not be their strength but it will never be if they don't put any strong efforts to it. They don't have to be Facebook nor they should be and need to be, they just need to be better at it.
  • Reply 36 of 90
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Most of this is good analysis, but when Daniel talks about "Fake news", don't forget he's a hard core marxist.
    "Fake news" has an actual meaning. It refers specifically to invented stories published to troll or make money. You might get upset by media reports that you don't like or assume to be biased, but that's another thing entirely. The rest of your word salad is as completely nuts as the president's 4AM tweets.
    "Fake news" is itself a propaganda term created by the Left to suppress dissent. Thanks to the President's unwillingness to play along with that game, it's really blown up in the faces of CNN, BuzzFeed and the many mainstream outlets that have been pushing it.

I suspect this thread will soon be locked, so with regard to Apple creating yet another social network, I just don't see it. They're bad at it. They can't make money at it and it's not in their DNA. 
    Let’s not leave out MSNBC and Rachel Maddow from the ‘fake news’ moniker. 
    designr
  • Reply 37 of 90
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    "Fake news" has an actual meaning. It refers specifically to invented stories published to troll or make money.
    Such as “the US election was stolen by Russia.”

charlesgres
    said:
    There is zero evidence in favor of the claim and every single institution researching the concept has found absolutely nothing to tie Russia to the election? Pretty simple to comprehend. If you have anything that refutes literally every study being done on the subject, feel free to post it. Truth is objective.
    edited March 2017 designrgtr
  • Reply 38 of 90

"Fake news" is itself a propaganda term created by the Left to suppress dissent. Thanks to the President's unwillingness to play along with that game, it's really blown up in the faces of CNN, BuzzFeed and the many mainstream outlets that have been pushing it.

I suspect this thread will soon be locked, so with regard to Apple creating yet another social network, I just don't see it. They're bad at it. They can't make money at it and it's not in their DNA. 
    "Fake news" is itself a propaganda term created by one side to suppress dissent with its views and propaganda"

There fixed it for you.

Nothing to do with left or right. It is all to do with one side showing dissent with the other by making seeding false stories about the other side. IMHO the reason it worked in the past year is that it is radically different from the totally negative campaigns of recent elections.

edited March 2017 doozydozen
  • Reply 39 of 90
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Stop trying to blame everything you dont like in life on imagined boogeymen.
    That’s how liberals operate. Spam’s pretty far therefrom.
    FoxNews
    Fox isn’t right wing and it isn’t 2002 anymore. That canard will get you nowhere. Try harder.
    edited March 2017 SpamSandwichmacseekergtr
  • Reply 40 of 90
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    I'd be OK with an Apple social net IF it wasn't censored by Apples liberal Values.

If they can stay neutral, then it would be good.

If its going to be some communist cult thing where anything they dont agree with is "fake news" etc. or censored, then it would be a disaster.
    Censoring has nothing to do with the platform provider. You are censoring or creating your own fake news based on your friends and news sources you choose to follow. That's how social networks work right now.
    ronn