Apple's online store will close Tuesday morning, fueling rumors of new products

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member
    sockrolid said:
    New.
    iMac.
    Please.
    I am waiting on an iMac update also. If the next performance bump isn't significant I'll probably buy a used or refurbished "Late 2015" model.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 43
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    boeyc15 said:

The iPhone SE should be updated from a 6s equivalent to a 7 equivalent. A10 processor, new 12 mp camera, Touch ID 2, and 3D Touch.
    Or just make a smaller phone size with all the latest goodies... and 'gods of thin design forbid' make it thicker to do so.
    Since when in any product category does the smallest version have the same features as the biggest version? 
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 23 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    This is speculation, but if there are some product updates tomorrow without an event, and we're still getting rapid OS beta updates which also indicates that a new OS point updates are nearing completion, it seems to me that history has shown that an event will occur within the next month and these are just the spill over products that didn't warrant being at the event. That could be a good sign for those that want Mac updates if tomorrow brings us only iPads, for example.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 43
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It's new Watch bands. 
    You got it!
  • Reply 25 of 43

Fatman said:
    128GB SE - I assume they did their research, but doesn't quite make sense to me - the lowest resolution, entry level device needs this much memory? To think I have an ipad with 16GB (that requires 'app shuffling' all the time) - that truly is backwards
    This makes no sense at all.   You apparently think of the SE as a low end option when many of us think of it as a compact cell phone.    Beyond that it it the nature of tech to improve every year or so, so more memory in an SE would make sense.   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 43
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    An all wheel drive Apple off-road crossover autonomous car, that flies and dives like a submarine!! Comes with Apple stickers, a headphone jack, and an SD card slot!
    Day 1 for me!!!

Seriously, though, I am curious at what's going to happen.  It could be so many different things.  A new iMac would be sweet, for sure.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 43

wigby said:
    2old4fun said:
    Fatman said:
    128GB SE - I assume they did their research, but doesn't quite make sense to me - the lowest resolution, entry level device needs this much memory? To think I have an ipad with 16GB (that requires 'app shuffling' all the time) - that truly is backwards.
    My daughter has a 64 GB SE and would have bought the 128 if it was available. She takes a lot of pictures of her children who are very active in sports. Yes, she would have liked to have a 7 with its better camera but the SE is much cheaper and within her budget.
    Also the size makes a big difference. There are still many iPhone users who have clung onto their older models because they like the 4" size. All of these people will upgrade too. If Apple went further to introduce a new SE with the latest camera and features found in the 7, they would easily sell another 10-20 million units before they even announce iPhone 8.
    Exactly; size is a very important element in the SE success.    Not everyone wants to carry a brick in their pocket.
    dtb200
  • Reply 28 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    sockrolid said:
    New.
    iMac.
    Please.
    More likely to happen in October, but I wouldn't mind an earlier release.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 43

Yeah I don't get why at this stage a 128 GB SE would be appropriate. The SE has seen its life cycle, and is no longer as good of a buy this year as it was 1 year ago. 1 year ago when it launched, it was a near-equivalent of the iPhone 6s. Now, it is not only not an iPhone 7 equivalent, but a few months away from being left in the dust by the next iPhone.

Add in the fact that upgrade programs (NEXT, EDGE, JUMP) are prolific and many SE's we likely purchased this way a year ago. Apple is not providing them anything to upgrade to at the 12 month mark. I consider this failure on Apple's part. Even though Apple does not extend its own iPhone Upgrade Program to the SE, which should have been an indication of no annual update by itself, they should be providing one.

The iPhone SE should be updated from a 6s equivalent to a 7 equivalent. A10 processor, new 12 mp camera, Touch ID 2, and 3D Touch.
    You are taking this rumor way to seriously.   What makes you think they wouldn't upgrade other parts of the phone?   Hell this is a rumor the reason for the store closing may have nothing to do with cell phones.    We can hope of course but who really knows what is up at Apple.    Knowing Apples disdain for the Mac Line up we could be getting a new Mini to no fanfare at all.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Probably just a bump up on the iPads, no?
    And how sad it would be if they had to take the store down for five and a half hours to make such a trivial update to the web site. 

(Although I'd assume they are doing other site maintenance as well. When they have major announcements the store isn't normally down for that long, is it? So they must be doing something else as well...like burying even deeper the option to purchase the 2015 model MBPs. LOL )
  • Reply 31 of 43
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,301moderator
    sockrolid said:
    New.
    iMac.
    Please.
    More likely to happen in October, but I wouldn't mind an earlier release.
    Kaby Lake chips are available for an update and the Macbook is usually the first to get updated - the entry laptops are the most popular Macs. The CPU upgrade isn't worth waiting for on the desktop:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/01/intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-review/

but it should bring USB-C/TB3 and there will likely be an update to AMD's Polaris GPUs that were referenced in the OS. Not quite double the GPU performance but close. iMacs could really do with ditching the HDD too. A 500B SSD retails for ~$150. They could just sell those connected to SATA if they didn't want to go with PCIe SSD and it's 5x faster storage.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 32 of 43
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I'm guessing no 10.5" iPad, just some internal upgrades to the iPad lines. The said memory boost for the SE and maybe that rumored product red iPhone.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    bigdobigdo Posts: 19member
    I'm hopping for new Magic Trackpad and stand alone keyboard with Touch Bar and Touch ID
  • Reply 34 of 43
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,460member
    aaronj said:
    An all wheel drive Apple off-road crossover autonomous car, that flies and dives like a submarine!! Comes with Apple stickers, a headphone jack, and an SD card slot!
    Day 1 for me!!!

Seriously, though, I am curious at what's going to happen.  It could be so many different things.  A new iMac would be sweet, for sure.
    Wouldn't it be awesome if Apple casually posts the Apple car on their store without an intro  :D

That would be super cool
  • Reply 35 of 43
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    New MacBooks with at least two USB-C ports and maybe Thunderbolt 3 and Touch Bar. If this happens, I'm getting one with or without Touch Bar as long as the MacBook has more than one port. 
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 36 of 43
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    sirozha said:
    ... If this happens, I'm getting one with or without Touch Bar ...
    Schrodinger's Mac?
    bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 37 of 43
    If its just improved specs in the ipad lineup, a new phone color, and increased storage in the low end phone, it is smart not to have a special event that the press has been saying for the last month.  
  • Reply 38 of 43
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    sirozha said:
    New MacBooks with at least two USB-C ports and maybe Thunderbolt 3 and Touch Bar. If this happens, I'm getting one with or without Touch Bar as long as the MacBook has more than one port. 
    What if that second port is Lightning?
  • Reply 39 of 43
    anomeanome Posts: 1,531member
    sirozha said:

So if it doesn't have more than one port, you'll get one with Touch Bar? What if they don't have Touch Bar, and only have one port?

Or what if they only have two ports on one with Touch Bar? Or two Touch Bars on one with only one port?

For what it's worth, I don't think they'll make major changes to the MacBook. They have a MacBook with two USB-C ports and no Touch Bar, it's the bottom end MBP.

• Reply 40 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    A new MacPro?!
    If they didn’t even bother to invite the press, that’s actually pretty likely.