Microsoft inserting ads into Windows 10 File Explorer

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    The next major update for Windows will sell ad-space on the BSOD!
    ration al
  • Reply 22 of 22
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mainyehc said:
    How is this any different from Apple's very own “iCloud ran out of space to backup your iPhone” nag alert box?

They will also get you hooked on an essential part of a supposedly free service and, because the latter can't support the former indefinitely, nag the hell out of you until you either pay up or stop using it. The only reason I still keep getting the nag box is because I haven't gotten around to disabling iCloud backup or deleting older backups, but I already reverted to using iTunes to make local backups for a while now, so… mission accomplished, Apple.

And, for the record, besides iPhone backups, I don't even use any heavy stuff like iCloud Photo Library or Desktop/Documents sync, just plain old iCloud for lite apps (Calendar, Contacts, Notes) and iCloud mail. The free tier is obscenely small and insufficient for all but the most basic of needs.
    They let you know because a service you are using has stopped working.   What would happen if they didn't notify you and you were relying on having a backup of your data?     No, that is a notification.   Not an ad.