iPad mini still better as a reader?

Posted:
in iPad
I'm a PhD student and have a large collection of PDFs and scanned documents that I collate using Zotero and annotate and sync across devices using Papership. I currently have a mini 2 which is full to capacity and am in the market for a replacement. I had hoped to see the mini properly updated and find the paperback size easier to read one handed out and about. However, given there is almost no price differential I'm considering the new iPad for the extra screen space. But a side by side comparison suggests the new iPad is the only one made that does not have a fully laminated display and anti reflective coating. I wonder why this is? It seems an odd omission from a new product, while the much older mini has both. I wonder what all your thoughts are re. the trade offs between the mini 4 display and size when chiefly to be used as a reader as I need and the extra screen space I would get were I to make my peace with the greater size of the new iPad?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Depends on the format you read, and the portability you demand, I guess. Most of what I read is 8.5x11, so I really dig the iPad Pro for that, but I don't schlep it all over the place.

The mini 4 display has a higher PPI than the 9.7-inch iPad. Other than the mini 4 and the iPad Air 2, the laminated display is new, so if you don't have a 4, you have the same "style" screen as the 2017 iPad.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Thanks for this. I guess I was wondering why the screen doesn't have this when now all of the current iPads - pro and non - do have these features except the newest addition iPad. It seems an odd omission. Does it make much difference for working with and on? Most of the files I'd be reading would either be A4 scans or books scanned into PDF format, in landscape A4. Thanks again for your reply.