4-year-old saves mother's life by asking Apple's Siri to call emergency services

Posted:
in iPhone
A four-year-old boy in the United Kingdom saved his mother's life after she collapsed, the Metropolitan Police has confirmed, by unlocking his mother's iPhone and asking Siri to contact the emergency services.

Released on Thursday, the call recording for the incident on March 7 consists of a police call hander speaking to Roman, a young boy who called after his mother lost consciousness. Believing his mother to have died, explaining to the handler that she had "(closed) her eyes and she's not breathing," Roman then recited his address so that emergency services could arrive.

While children in the United Kingdom are told to call 999, the local emergency services number, from a very young age, the Metropolitan Police note that Roman used a different method to get assistance. He unlocked his mother's iPhone using Touch ID, pressing his mother's thumb onto the sensor, then asked Siri for help, resulting in the emergency call.

Due to Roman's swift actions, officers arrived at the address and forced entry into the house, to find Roman and his brothers near their unconscious mother. Paramedics took the woman to hospital after helping her regain consciousness.

"Hearing this call brings home the importance of teaching your young child their home address and how to call police or emergency services in an emergency situation," said Chief Superintendent Ade Adelekan of the Met's Command and Control Unit, which handles emergency calls. The chief superintendent implores parents to teach young children what to do in an emergency, as the incident demonstrates "it could really be the difference between life and death."

"It's an amazing story and thanks to his quick thinking and by asking 'Siri' for help, this little boy saved his mum's life and it means she is still here and can be extremely proud of him and his brothers."

For locked iPhones, it is possible to contact the emergency services without unlocking it first, by swiping right on the lock screen and tapping "Emergency" to unlock the dial pad. Siri is also able to interpret statements such as "Call the fire department" or "Dial 911" to make the same call, but offers a five-second countdown to cancel the call if it has been placed by mistake.

The ability to make such calls through Siri has sometimes caused issues with emergency services. Occasional social media pranks urge iPhone users to say specific numbers or phrases to Siri, which can be interpreted as requests to make emergency calls, sometimes flooding regional emergency contact centers.

It is also possible to contact emergency services via an Apple Watch. Holding the side button can bring up the Emergency SOS slider, which can be used to make the call, as well as to regularly send SOS contacts a text message with the wearer's current location.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    sog35 said:
    Boy: Hey Alexa, Please call emergency services!!!

Alexa: Do you want to order pizza with that?

Boy: No, just call 911!

Alexa: I'm sending the pizza now. Thank you for shopping with Amazon prime.

Boy: Hey Google, Please call emergency services!!!

Google: Now playing in theaters. The Great Emergency. Staring the Rock.......
    Too soon...

Those services aren't that bad YET. 
  • Reply 2 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    cali said:
    sog35 said:

Too soon...

Its already there...

jbdragon[Deleted User]uniscapezroger73glynhredgeminipa
  • Reply 3 of 12
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    amazing. my 4 yr old is rarely understood by siri and doesn't really understand how to unlock our phones. might have to test his ability to request an emergency call when i get home and encode his finger for touchID (yeah, I know it means he could get into our phones, but minor inconvenience for his ability to call for help if needed).
    lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 12
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    schlack said:
    amazing. my 4 yr old is rarely understood by siri and doesn't really understand how to unlock our phones. might have to test his ability to request an emergency call when i get home and encode his finger for touchID (yeah, I know it means he could get into our phones, but minor inconvenience for his ability to call for help if needed).
    You can call for help on the lock screen and even use Siri on the lock screen if you have it turned on. No need t give your kid a scan.
    douglas baileylolliverwatto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 5 of 12
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member
    My heart broke when the little boy said his Mummy was dead. But thanks to Siri and good common sense, this little boy saved her life. This is the most emotional article I've ever come across on Apple Insider. Nice change from the day to day stuff.
    peterhartcommand_fmobirdewtheckmanjony0lolliverwatto_cobraredgeminipastantheman
  • Reply 6 of 12
    cali said:
    sog35 said:

Too soon...

Is there any objective evidence (from an independent third party) that Siri is more likely recognize such a request?  Personally, I wouldn't bet any money on that, but I'd be happy to be wrong.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    sog35 said:
    cali said:
    sog35 said:

Too soon...

They are....

Google removes audio ads from Google Home hours after introducing them

http://bgr.com/2017/03/17/google-home-audio-ads-beauty-and-the-beast/

Amazon is flirting with paid search on Alexa

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-is-flirting-with-paid-search-on-alexa-2017-1

Ah, now I get your point.  It's not about these services not understanding, it's about them sticking their commercial hooks into every transaction if possible.  Got it.
    watto_cobrastantheman
  • Reply 8 of 12
    "For locked iPhones, it is possible to contact the emergency services without unlocking it first, by swiping right on the lock screen and tapping "Emergency" to unlock the dial pad."

I'm not so sure. When I swipe right I see a bunch of widgets. I actually have to scan an incorrect finger three times to have the keypad and the Energency button show up.

Ps. If Siri is active on the lock screen you can ask Siri, 'Whose phone is this?' and Siri will give a subset of their contact info. (All contact info if unlocked.) 
    Royfb
  • Reply 9 of 12
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    So this 4-year old was smart enough to use his mother's thumb and to hit the button again to ask Siri to do something.  Fantastic.   But don't you think that back in the day, that same child would also have been smart enough to simply dial 999 on a regular phone?

• Reply 10 of 12
    We learned to be careful with the Apple Watch and the emergency services feature. My husband and I were doing the nasty one day, and he decided to take off his Apple Watch. He didn't realize he must've been holding down the button at some point, bringing up the emergency slider. He also didn't realize he must've slid his finger across it to activate the call while taking it off. During a good moan, we hear "911, what's your emergency?" faintly, only to realize it was coming from his watch laying next to us. Boy, that was awkward. Being in total shock, the tone is his voice didn't sound too convincing when he told her everything was fine. I was expecting the cops to show up, or for them to call back. Close call.  B)
  • Reply 11 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    We learned to be careful with the Apple Watch and the emergency services feature. My husband and I were doing the nasty one day, and he decided to take off his Apple Watch. He didn't realize he must've been holding down the button at some point, bringing up the emergency slider. He also didn't realize he must've slid his finger across it to activate the call while taking it off. During a good moan, we hear "911, what's your emergency?" faintly, only to realize it was coming from his watch laying next to us. Boy, that was awkward. Being in total shock, the tone is his voice didn't sound too convincing when he told her everything was fine. I was expecting the cops to show up, or for them to call back. Close call.  B)
    Wow you get to the moaning fast  ;)