This week on AI: Apple's $329 'budget' iPad, red iPhones, hacking threats & more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2017
It was a very busy week for Apple, headlined by several surprise announcements on Tuesday, including a new "budget" iPad and a (Product)Red iPhone 7. A hacking group tried to hold Apple iCloud accounts hostage, and WikiLeaks released details of Mac and iOS exploits used by the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency -- just for a start.

To keep up on the latest in the Apple world, download the official AppleInsider app, and subscribe to our email newsletter.

Everything you need to know:

• Apple's new A9-equipped iPad starts at $329 > >
  • Special-edition (Product)Red iPhone 7 models went on sale on Friday > >
  • The iPhone SE doubled its storage options to 32 and 128 gigabytes > >
  • An Apple Clips app for editing and sharing videos will come to the iPhone in April > >
  • The "Turkish Crime Family" threatened to wipe Apple devices unless it's paid a ransom by Apr. 7 > >
  • Apple said CIA exploits revealed by WikiLeaks have been patched > >
  • Automation app Workflow and its developer were bought out by Apple > >
For in-depth discussion of this week's hottest stories, listen to the AppleInsider podcast. Subscribe here, or stream the embed below:

A roundup of all of our hottest stories this week:

Apple replaces iPad Air 2 with A9-equipped 9.7-inch iPad starting at $329

Apple launches special edition (Product)Red iPhone 7

Apple doubles iPhone SE storage capacities to 32 and 128 gigabytes

New Apple Clips app aimed at social media video capture, quick editing

Report verifies some iCloud credentials held by hacker group as valid

Apple responds to latest WikiLeaks CIA document dump, says iPhone and Mac exploits fixed

Apple acquires automation app Workflow, title to remain on App Store for free

Apple's 'iPhone 8' to use 'water drop design' with curved, 3D glass back - report

Apple Watch Nike Sport band now sold separately for $49, joins new spring lineup

Apple's augmented reality team includes vets from Dolby, Oculus & more - report

Apple paid taxes from New Zealand revenues to Australia for the last 10 years - report

In possible last gasp for iPad mini, Apple increases capacity to 128GB for $399

Apple adds multiscreen movie rental viewing to iTunes in latest update

iOS 10.3 beta hints at more fluid Apple Pencil with next-gen iPad Pro models

Apple to start Indian iPhone manufacturing within next two months

Apple reissues iTunes 12.6, removes mysterious 'Show on Profile Page' option

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Tlemieux72Tlemieux72 Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    Gentleman, I really mean this, I love your show.  It is so much more positive than all the other Apple podcasts I listen to, but for the love of God please please please find a way to stop talking over each other.  Is it a technology thing, latency, or something else?  Whatever it is it would be so awesome if you could somehow fix this issue.  I do apologize if this comes off as harsh criticism, because it really isn't meant to be harsh. It just makes your podcast sound very amateur, which I know you guys aren't. 
  • Reply 2 of 3
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I actually saw a red iPhone in the wild yesterday. Crazy right?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    I saw the red iPhone today in the Apple Store. Looked great except for the awful white face. Steve never would have done that.