Apple's 2017 iPad vs. 2016 9.7" iPad Pro: Which model is right for you?

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2017
Paying $270 more for the same size iPad with roughly similar specs can be a tough pill to swallow -- AppleInsider examines the differences between the new 2017 9.7-inch iPad, and the 9.7-inch iPad Pro from March 2016.

Any new Apple hardware release brings with it choices from the faithful, and the new iPad is no exception. Sporting an A9 processor with an amazing price of $329, there are arguments to be made for users of the original iPad Air and earlier to jump on board immediately, if able.

The iPad Pro is a different beast. While the screen resolution and general surface area of the tablet are the same -- there are a few notable differences.

Raw performance

The 9.7-inch iPad Pro, like the 12.9-inch version has the A9X processor with M9 motion co-processor. The 2017 iPad has the A9 processor -- a step up from the iPad Air 2, but a notable step down from the iPad Pro.

Single-core, the iPad Pro hits a GeekBench rating of 2934, with benchmarks for the iPhone SE having a similar architecture to the new iPad, pulling down 2397. The gap only widens in multi-core performance, with the iPad Pro hitting 4736, and the iPhone SE peaking at 4013.

How much of a difference the roughly 20 percent difference makes in both will depend on the user. For comparison, the gap is much larger between the original iPad Air and the iPad Pro, with the multicore benchmark on the Air only hitting 2192 -- less than the single core performance of either the iPad Pro, or iPhone SE/new iPad.

Size and weight

The new iPad is 240mm tall, 169.5mm wide, has a thickness of 7.5mm, and weighs 469 grams with wi-fi and 478 grams with LTE -- making it dimensionally identical to the original iPad Air.

The iPad Pro 9.7-inch retains the height and width of most of the modern iPad line, but is 6.1mm thick, and weighs 437 grams -- 7 grams less than the iPad Air 2.

If you're looking for the absolute thinnest and lightest iPad, the iPad Pro remains the best bet -- but additions of cases rapidly increase the weight, and any gains are easily offset by anything rugged.

Battery

Part of the reason for the different sizing is the battery. The new iPad has a 32.4 watt-hour battery, while the iPad Pro has a 27.91 watt-hour cell.

Apple has a mantra about iPad battery life that they have recited for years -- it is "up to 10 hours of video, 140 hours of audio playback, or one month on standby." It has been so for some time, and remains the stated life now.

Based on the battery size alone, the new iPad should handily beat the 9.7-inch iPad Pro out here in the real world, but we won't be certain until the unit is in the hands of testers.

Less numeric, but important, points

All this spelled out so far, looked at by itself suggests that a user is better suited to pick up a new iPad than an iPad Pro. Besides performance, there are two key features that stand out for the iPad Pro -- the fully laminated screen, and Apple Pencil support.

Instead of a LCD with an air-gap between it and the glass panel, the iPad Pro has a fully laminated screen -- this is one of the reasons why it is thinner and lighter than the new iPad. If you've never used an iPad with a fully laminated screen, it may not make a difference -- but the experience is palpable.

Also, the display on the iPad Pro is Apple's Wide Color implementation of the DCI-P3 color space with its True Tone display. We've addressed the value of this in some detail prior to the iPhone 7 launch, but in short, the iPad Pro displays a wider range of colors than the new iPad can display -- matching that of the 5K iMac, and iPhone 7 screens.

Crucial to a certain segment of the owner base, the Apple Pencil is only supported on the iPad Pro line. Any other size or model of iPad, and the $100 peripheral does nothing. This probably isn't a deal-breaker for most.

Price

No doubt, price is crucial, and the main selling point of the new iPad. The new iPad starts at $329 for a 32-gigabyte version with wi-fi only, and scales up to $559 with 128 gigabytes and 4G.

The iPad Pro starts at $599 for a 32GB version, with $829 for 128 gigabytes and 4G, and rapidly climbs to $1,029 for the 256-gigabyte model with 4G.

The choice, left as an exercise for the reader, is deciding if about $270 is worth it for about 20% better performance, a better screen, and Apple Pencil support.

Whither the 12.9-inch iPad Pro?

We've only briefly touched on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro in this comparison, but the choice really boils down to one thing -- you either need the large screen, or you don't. It is a fantastic device, but approaches unwieldy for those looking at what an iPad does well -- a relatively light device, with a larger screen than an iPhone.

What the future may bring

There will be a refresh of the iPad Pro at some point. Tuesday's release, which included the eradication of the iPad Air 2 from the current product lineup, was clearly intended to draw a firm line between the iPad and iPad Pro product families.

The latest reports that claimed that there was a new "entry level" iPad on the way, also suggest that around a 10.5-inch iPad Pro is coming, as well as a refresh of the 12.9-inch one larger model, but when this will happen is completely up in the air, as it what, if any, new technologies that it may contain.

A new iPad Pro lineup could come as soon as April, according to the same reports. But, given the nature of rumors, it could be at the early-June WWDC, it could be September -- or all the reports could be totally wrong, and Apple will stand pat with the A9X in the iPad Pro for now.

The current, big, price difference, in this case $270, is significant. There will be new iPad Pros, but at what price point nobody knows. They are unlikely to drop in price, but given some reports of persistent component shortages in China driving manufacturing prices up, it is very possible that a new iPad Pro model will cost more than the last.

In many ways, its harder now to choose an iPad than it was a week ago, and for the first time, there isn't a clear choice unless you need a specific feature the Pro line has that the "mainstream" products don't. But, regardless of pricing, there is always something new coming -- even the day after a new product release.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    How do we know the new iPad doesn't have a laminated display? And if it does not, why does it not? And no mention of the True Tone display, better camera and four speakers.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 2 of 54
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    "Apple's 2017 iPad vs. 2016 9.7" iPad Pro: Which model is right for you?"

None! Bring a Mac tablet. It is other world!
    edited March 2017 elijahg
  • Reply 3 of 54
    iPad Pro only has 2GB Ram how much does new iPad have?
  • Reply 4 of 54
    iPad Pro only has 2GB Ram how much does new iPad have?
    2GB, as that's the minimum for an iOS device in recent years. The 12.9" has 4GB.
    pscooter63netmageSoli
  • Reply 5 of 54
    ireland said:
    How do we know the new iPad doesn't have a laminated display? And if it does not, why does it not? And no mention of the True Tone display, better camera and four speakers.
    Read the article. It's all laid out in plain English. Apple.com clearly lists the differences. http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/
    john.bnetmagebdkennedy1002chiaSolilolliverr00fus1
  • Reply 6 of 54
    I'm holding out for a refresh of the 12.9" Pro before I make any decisions on upgrading from my Air 2. Obviously, the new iPad isn't worth a consideration, as the gains would be minimal, and some aspects are a step backwards.
    jahbladeirelandnetmage
  • Reply 7 of 54
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Besides iPad Pro debate, thank Apple for giving humanity ipad with updated spec, 32GB at $329. If someone had askd me question last year, I would say can't happen. I call new ipad either "poor man's iPad" or "No excuse owning ipad" or "No one left behind owning ipad".
    edited March 2017 Royfbwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Jeff CJeff C Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I think the choice is clear. Do you need an Apple Pencil or the color gamut for your work as an artist? Do you want handwritten notes? Buy a Pro. Everyone else should buy an iPad and save the scratch. The world of people who can use an IPad as a "laptop replacement" is small and is largely populated by retirees, small children and people who just surf the web and never use a complicated spreadsheet. The lower price iPad opens that world up and also keeps it as a more viable choice to buy for kids. Though giving up on the mini basically cedes that to Amazon where $50 gets you a crap-in-comparison tablet that is actually amazing because you can hand it to a four-year-old and not care. Most of us are not tech writers with access to the bleeding edge. The new iPad is going to be a nice replacement for those with an original iPad, 2,3,4 or maybe Air who are thinking "It is time for a new one do i still need... $329. OK let me just explain this to the wife in a way that makes it sound important. I should use the old iPad more to make it look like I need one." Normal people cannot justify an $800-$1,000 iPad (either base or all in with keyboard and pencil) when you can now grab a MacBook Air for the same price or a MacBook for just a few hundred more. Meanwhile for a growing segment of the population that just browses the Web and uses Facebook the phone works just fine. I just hope Apple wakes up, either adds more true multitasking and power abilities to the Pro's or concedes they are not laptops, they cannot grow the mac business charging more and more for less and they find a way to bring Mac prices down to reality so they can grow the user base and be more than an iPhone company for years to come. They are losing the top part of the market who don't want toy computers and the bottom part that can get a $300 Windows laptop a couple of minutes after ogling the nice MacBooks hidden in the corner of Best Buy.
    edited March 2017 elijahgseanismorris
  • Reply 9 of 54
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    The right tool, for the right job ... Within a few months the iPad line will consist of a more clearly defined good/better/best model, with an increase in screen size, features and price. The newly released 9.7 ipad is the excellent value consumer model, the forthcoming 10.x ipad is the mid level prosumer offering for power users, and the (soon to be updated) 12.9 model is for professionals that need additional features to get their job done. There's no stopping a consumer from buying the pro model - but those are the intended audiences.
    damn_its_hotwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 54
    I'm holding out for a refresh of the 12.9" Pro before I make any decisions on upgrading from my Air 2. Obviously, the new iPad isn't worth a consideration, as the gains would be minimal, and some aspects are a step backwards.
    It's not an upgrade for Air 2 owners, no, but this iPad is targeted at iPad 2/3/4/Air owners and education. After buying a new Mac I really didn't feel like shelling out $800+ tax for a 9.7" iPad Pro 128GB with AC+ to replace my Air I bought at launch, but I'll be happy to drop $520, especially since I can trade in my old one at Best Buy and get out the door for just over $300 on the actual hardware. 
  • Reply 11 of 54
    ireland said:
    Read the article. It's all laid out in plain English. Apple.com clearly lists the differences. http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/
    Fair enough on the lam display. Not on other points. I laid them out in plain English too.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member
    Jeff C said:
    ...The world of people who can use an IPad as a "laptop replacement" is small and is largely populated by retirees, small children and people who just surf the web and never use a complicated spreadsheet. The lower price iPad opens that world up and also keeps it as a more viable choice to buy for kids. ... Meanwhile for a growing segment of the population that just browses the Web and uses Facebook the phone works just fine. I just hope Apple wakes up, either adds more true multitasking and power abilities to the Pro's or concedes they are not laptops...
    It's depressing to me to still be hearing this from people—that you can't get real work done on an iPad, that it's only for Facebook or non-serious users.

I did 95% of my postgraduate dissertation on the original iPad in 2011, and the 5% I was not able to do at that time (graphical notation examples) I could do now since there are apps for it. I also used that same iPad 1 for advanced slide display during lectures (relative to what most people accomplish with PP on a full computer). At that time I used the iPad for most of my computing tasks. My MacBookPro gets used for nothing more than development and audio editing.

Yes there are things that still can't be done on an iPad, but the argument that real work can't be done on it is nonsense. It is usually nothing more than the perspective of a dinosaur who refuses to give up what a computer means to them and change their computing habits. 
    StrangeDayspscooter63bb-15netmageRoyfbchiabrucemcdewmelolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    ireland said:
    Why doesn’t it have this or that spec? I don’t know, may be in order to meet a specific price point.
    redgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 54
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    Fair enough on the lam display. Not on other points. I laid them out in plain English too.
    We did address DCI-P3. I didn't address the speaker situation, because if you're relying on the speakers on your iPad to give you audio, you're probably doing something wrong.
    edited March 2017 john.bbb-15chia
  • Reply 15 of 54
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    We did address DCI-P3. I didn't address the speaker situation, because if you're relying on the speakers on your iPad to give you audio, you're probably doing something wrong.
    Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but the speakers on the iPad Pro make a noticeable difference to me.  It can go much loader and sounds much better.  Sure, if I'm going to watch a movie by myself I'll use headphones, but for short videos and watching stuff together it's much better (not $270 worth, but for me worth as much as the better screen). 

Also, isn't there a dedicated keyboard/accessory connector that this new one wouldn't have. 
    irelandpscooter63
  • Reply 16 of 54
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    What are you finding so difficult? The spec sheet shows it has none of that, and it should be quite obvious; it's for cost reasons. This uses a lot of iPad Air parts to cut down on the BOM, so they can sell it for less. 

Perhaps spend less time complaining and more time turning on your brain cell. 
  • Reply 17 of 54
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    That's absurd. Video in bed is a prime use case and speakers are relevant to that. With older ipads it is/was hard to hear a show or movie. 

Just because it was overlooked doesn't mean we're doing it wrong. 
    edited March 2017 irelandlolliver
  • Reply 18 of 54
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    That's absurd. Video in bed is a prime use case and speakers are relevant to that. With older ipads it is/was hard to hear a show or movie. 

Just because it was overlooked doesn't mean we're doing it wrong. 
    Oddly, I have never had a problem with video in bed on any generation iPad. I stand by what I wrote about, and what I didn't. You've read enough of my stuff to know that if I'm called out on something that I straight-out missed and believe that I should have included after it getting pointed out, I issue a mea culpa, and fix it. I still don't see a big need to do so.

Your mileage, and agreement, may vary.
    edited March 2017 bb-15
  • Reply 19 of 54
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    My sense is that Apple is in the process of doing a major shift into new worlds of functionality with the IPad.   The -Pro line was the first step.   This lower end 9.7" IPad was another step...

Apple has made their intended direction for the -Pro line clear:  It is to be a laptop replacement.   While I doubt it will ever replace the MBP, it already has the foundation to function as a replacement for the lower end laptops -- but it continues to lack some of their functionality:  Apple has it in handcuffs that limit its functionality.

For Apple, I believe that fully unveiling the enormous potential of the IPad is the next major path of innovation:
    - The IPhone has leveled out:  While the 7 provides enormous technical advantages over the 6, it still does not offer any significant functional advantages:   That is, you can do pretty much everything on a 6 that you can do on a 7.   Apple can't survive on simply having superior technical features.   It has survived and flourished offering functional advantages that change and improve people's lives...

- The Apple Watch has a lot of potential yet to be developed.  But, it's audience is probably limited.
    - The TV also has a lot of potential.  But it also has a lot of obstacles before it can really take off...

- And then there's the IPad.   The laptop killer...  For it, there is huge but largely untapped technical and functional potential along with a huge potential customer base.   It can change lives in business, education, and general consumer use such as game playing and web browsing and Cloud access....

Stay tuned...   I think there is 'One More Thing' coming...
  • Reply 20 of 54
    You're wrong about the four speakers not worth a mention Mike. It's a big deal to some and a healthy clip better than 2-speakered iPad when in all-in-one situations—which Marco Arment would tell you for his Overcast stats is most people most of the time. Never mind facts though when you can just blame readers. And while you mentioned P3 you didn't mention True Tone.
    edited March 2017 damn_its_hotRoyfbStrangeDays