Over-the-air iOS 10.3 update for iPhone 5, 5c pulled by Apple for reasons unknown

Posted:
in iPhone
After a few hours of availability, Apple pulled the over-the-air iOS 10.3 update for the iPhone 5 and 5c, though the legacy devices can still be updated through iTunes on a Mac or PC.

Why the move was made is not yet clear. There is seemingly no swell of users complaining about failings of the update on social media, nor any indication of a large amount of failed updates on the older phone models with the 32-bit A6 processor.

The install process through iTunes remains the same as it has always been -- following the connection of an iPhone to iTunes through a Lightning cable, users are given the option to update the device to the new operating system. AppleInsider has confirmed that the iTunes update installs properly on an iPhone 5c.

The iOS 10.3 update, released Monday, includes Find My AirPods, Apple File System implementation, and other improvements for developers and the App Store. Regardless of the source of the update, AppleInsider recommends performing a full, encrypted backup prior to updating to iOS 10.3.

Apple's latest beta release of iOS skips version 10.3.1, and goes straight to version 10.3.2. It also has no iPhone 5 or 5c binaries for download.
GeorgeBMac

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    My iPhone 5 took the better part of an hour and a half, but it installed successfully first time around. Initially, it downloaded faster than both my iPad Pro 9.7" and my iPhone 5S (smaller payload?), verified the download first and started installing, but then was overtaken, first by my iPad then by the 5S. After a long while, I was greeted by the welcome screen and all is good so far, with crisp and snappy operation...
    GeorgeBMacejdinPhilly
  • Reply 2 of 5
    guyrguyr Posts: 50member
    Same issue for the iPad 4th Gen as the 5. No over the air, both had to be plugged in... plenty of space too. 5s and 6s over the air worked like a charm.
    ejdinPhilly
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I have to say that I found this post incredibly generous, to see such an otherwise obscure issue and to then notify the community.  I mean, I have to think that the universe of active iPhone 5 users who would be actively chasing the latest iOS build has to be a fast-dwindling number.   And even more, it's sort of an issue-within-an-issue, that the chance to update hasn't disappeared but now exists in a more reduced or even concealed realm - a wired link to iTunes.   Like many, this older phone - a true backup now that I use for, say, late-night Twitter viewing, or a read-through of the day's Evernote downloads - is far from primary.  So when it wasn't allowing an over-the-air update of 10.3, I was mildly irked, and maybe re-tried a few times.  But it simply couldn't be a called a critical issue.   The Empire wasn't going to fall for the lack of it.  And I was this close - hold thumb and forefinger a millimeter apart - from just moving on, Can't be Done.  But why not at least ask around, and, bang, I hit on this post.   Precisely and utterly the information that was helpful to me at precisely and utterly that moment.  Mike, you made me smile on this one.  Update happening now.  Thanks for your labors here.   
  • Reply 4 of 5
    olivierparfaitolivierparfait Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I have to say that I found this post incredibly generous, to see such an otherwise obscure issue and to then notify the community.  I mean, I have to think that the universe of active iPhone 5 users who would be actively chasing the latest iOS build has to be a fast-dwindling number.   And even more, it's sort of an issue-within-an-issue, that the chance to update hasn't disappeared but now exists in a more reduced or even concealed realm - a wired link to iTunes.   Like many, this older phone - a true backup now that I use for, say, late-night Twitter viewing, or a read-through of the day's Evernote downloads - is far from primary.  So when it wasn't allowing an over-the-air update of 10.3, I was mildly irked, and maybe re-tried a few times.  But it simply couldn't be a called a critical issue.   The Empire wasn't going to fall for the lack of it.  And I was this close - hold thumb and forefinger a millimeter apart - from just moving on, Can't be Done.  But why not at least ask around, and, bang, I hit on this post.   Precisely and utterly the information that was helpful to me at precisely and utterly that moment.  Mike, you made me smile on this one.  Update happening now.  Thanks for your labors here.   
    They were still selling the 5C under a year ago, so it's not like we are talking about prehistoric devices!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    emv54emv54 Posts: 1member
    They were still selling the 5C under a year ago, so it's not like we are talking about prehistoric devices!
    Quite so, Olivier. Apple in Edinburgh replaced my ailing 5C with a shiny new 5C seven months ago. It may be an old model, but it's not obsolete just yet.