Comments

• Reply 201 of 210
    DESIGNSDESIGNS Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    FINALLY.... VERY EXCITING..!!!! Readying my wallet NOW
    MacPro
  • Reply 202 of 210
    MacProMacPro Posts: 16,189member
    darkvader said:
    I didn't know that online forums were comprised of only the 1%.

Funny that the Mac Pro is an extremely small seller, yet everyone and their dog seems to be using one (and therefore, have the "right" to complain incessantly about it).

Sounds kind of similar to the people who always preface their $hit posts with "I own several Apple products but...."
    It wasn't a small seller until the trash can came out.

I'm typing this on a Mac Pro right now.  It's not a cylinder.  I've only installed or worked on a few trash cans, I can almost count the number of them I've touched on fingers and toes.  The cheesegrater?  No idea.  High hundreds?  Low thousands?  I'm not sure.  Personally?  I only own three.  Now that's nothing like MacBook Pros, I've got five within my current line of sight, but when I complain about something Apple has done wrong, I know a little something about it.  That little pic beside my username, with the Apple ][, couple Disk ][ drives, and Monitor II?  Yeah, I have one of those, it still works, I've been doing this for a while.

The last trash can Pro I installed was last year.  It was a compromised install from the start, I'd much rather have used a 2016 XServe, but that doesn't exactly exist.  It's in a rack, it replaced a dying 2008 cheesegrater that was there because the old location where it was originally installed didn't have a rack, this one does.

Look, there are pretty much two groups of people who post on these boards, the "Apple can do no wrong" types, and those of us who actually have work to do and need the appropriate hardware to do it.  The trash can Pro is designed to be pretty.  Whether it is or not is a matter of opinion.  But what isn't a matter of opinion is that it's an inherently compromised design.  It's unarguable that a small cylinder form factor picked looks over capabilities, it has one SSD slot vs the 6 internal drive bays of the cheesegrater (2 optical, 4 HDD bays).  It has one CPU socket, vs the two in the cheesegrater.  And it has two graphics boards, but they aren't upgradeable, for most of my purposes I only need one, and I could put four in a cheesegrater if I did need to.  I don't need a bunch of external drive boxes cluttering up my desk, I don't need a bunch more cables making the rack even more complicated.  It's compromise, and for most of us, it was the wrong one.

Yeah, sometimes we're not happy with what Apple does.  Yeah, macOS is still FAR better than anything out of MicroSloth, so we still use hardware that isn't ideal for the purpose.  And yes, we want Apple to get on the ball and ship better stuff.

Thin isn't what everybody needs in a laptop.  And cylindrical is not what almost anybody needs or wants in a powerhouse workstation or server.

That's why we complain.  We know Apple is capable of better.  They've done better before.
    Speak for yourself on not liking the Mac Pro as is.  I've handled thousands of Macs too, dating back to 1984  (and prior to that Apple ][s, ///s, Lisas too 1978-1984) as the owner of several a major dealerships and a Mac software company.  I've personally owned most of them on the side and also ran a TV production company producing weekly shows for ESPN and ESPN2.  These last few years I loved my own personal Mac Pro cylindrical model and haven't missed the many cheese graters I've owned over the years one bit, especially the weight.  I especially love how my Mac Pro runs both macOS and Windows 10 Anniversary so well.  Such a versatile machine that I can unhook in seconds and take with me (in one hand), it's so light it's almost like owning another ultra powerful MBP minus a monitor.  I have tons of peripherals and lots of TB HD RAID zero drives, USB3 and TB SSDs of course too.  It's quite literally the most versatile Mac I've ever owned.  Now perhaps Apple need to rethink to go to the next level but these last few years I've had zero complaints.  Obviously I look forward to the next Mac Pro with the latest I/O technology.  My credit card is waiting. :)
    edited April 12 williamlondon
  • Reply 203 of 210
    MacProMacPro Posts: 16,189member
    melgross said:
    i wouldn't want a CPU from AMD though. I just don't trust them. Their latest, and best is still lagging behind. I don't trust their delivery. It's always been poor.
    Never mind the power draw. And my Mac Pro’s 4780 is the only card I’ve ever had that fried itself.
    And ..  Nvidia were responsible for many MBP's deaths back in the day.  Bring on Apple's own GPUs!  Third party GPUs; AMD & Nvidia, have been Apple's number one Achilles' heal for a long time IMHO.  Not to mention they never update drivers for Bootcamp but I guess that's another story.  I'm just grateful to bootcampdrivers.com.  Then again, would an Apple GPU even support Windows :(  
    tallest skil
  • Reply 204 of 210
    Xiao.ZiXiao.Zi Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    What I wanted and needed and still want and need is a rackable or mini rack with slots for compute cards, graphic cards and expansion slots with a high speed bus. Give pro users that or we will continue to stack macMinis (or continue migrating to Windows) of necessity not love.

Apple blew it last time. Last chance guys. And 2018 should be a hard deadline for a great new box, I'm afraid Tim is on the wrong channel with the time no object thing.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 205 of 210
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 41,329member
    Xiao.Zi said:
    What I wanted and needed and still want and need is a rackable or mini rack with slots for compute cards, graphic cards and expansion slots with a high speed bus. Give pro users that or we will continue to stack macMinis (or continue migrating to Windows) of necessity not love.
    What can’t Mac Minis (and a separate rack for said expansion cards) do in this configuration that you’d want?

• Reply 206 of 210
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 455member
    Xiao.Zi said:
    What can’t Mac Minis (and a separate rack for said expansion cards) do in this configuration that you’d want?

I guess 1RU is a tight fit given the damage to the finish.
  • Reply 207 of 210
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 41,329member
    mattinoz said:
    I guess 1RU is a tight fit given the damage to the finish.
    Oh, that's tape.
  • Reply 208 of 210
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 129member
    I hope this doesn't mean that Thunderbolt 3 is already half-way out the door.
  • Reply 209 of 210
    Xiao.Zi said:

Apple blew it last time. Last chance guys. And 2018 should be a hard deadline for a great new box, I'm afraid Tim is on the wrong channel with the time no object thing.
    Pretty sure you aren't getting what you want.
  • Reply 210 of 210
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,397member
    sog35 said:
    welshdog said:
    Apple has lost thousands of customers over the last 6-7 years to Windows.  The cheese graters got too old and the trash can was inadequate for many so they started looking at Windows machines and they liked what they saw (sort of).  The new Final Cut added to the exodus and really pissed off a lot of long time Mac users.  They moved over to Premiere or Avid, first on Macs and then later on Windows machines.  After Effects users did the same thing.  The end result is a ton of people who now won't even consider Apple hardware or software for editing or effects work for video post.  The serious 3D people left a long time ago because of the hardware limitations.

While I applaud the Apple announcement today, I will have to wait and see what they bring to market.  They talked about one big heavy duty GPU - okay that's fine, but they should consider adding the ability to support a card cage filled with GPUs and maybe CPUs.  People in video and film have software that can use (even require) that sort of power.  DaVinci Resolve is one such system. Connect a AppleCage via USB C and fill it with GPUs or whatever - easy and peasy.  The long lost power users also liked the abiity to put four drives inside the old cheese graters.  It was often used as temporary storage for processing or loading etc.  Primary storage was usually a high speed RAID.  I know that sort of feature makes for a physically large computer, but these people don't care they want features that add versatility.  The old cheese graters had that in spades.  Need Fiber Channel, we got a card for that.  Need some new form of SCSI, got a card.  Need more GPU power, slap in a card.  Need some extra terabytes for a big job, slam in some drives.  This isn't hard to understand and doing it won't hurt the Apple brand.  It could help the brand if old users were to come home because this new comuter is insanely great.  We will see.
    Actually if you look at FACTS:

1. Mac unit sales are up the last 5 years
    2. Windows unit sales are down sharply the last 5 years

So you are pretty much wrong about everything.
    Your reading comprehension is abysmal. I said nothing about sales.  I clearly was speaking of users, specifically pro video users.