All-new Mac Pro with modular design, Apple-branded pro displays coming in 2018

Comments

• Reply 21 of 198
    sog35 said:
    So Apple is incapable of walking and chewing gun at the same time? How long does it take to design a tower that serves the market- we do not give a crap about styling. Take the Pre-Trashcan form factor and update it for the current market- that should take a small team little time.

A company as big and well heeled as Apple should be able to serve a select small market and waste gobs of money on crap like Animated Balloons on Text Messages and Facebook integration. Serving specialty markets is common in business all the time- you do not have to make a killing on every product line. The line should have been kept up to date all along and the Black Trashcan was a tragic mistake.

In Medicine, Hospitals and Clinics commonly offer necessary services that are break even at best because it is in the best interest of the customers. Mammography is a prime example- unless you do huge volume you will never make a dime providing the service, but it is done anyhow. Apple makes truckloads on iPhones and should be able to subsidize the high end pro market.
    Comparing Apple to a Hospital....................LOLOLOOLLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!
    I am comparing businesses. And BTW, one of the markets Apple abandoned was high end Radiology Workstations so you could have your Trashcan and Facebook integration. Pro Computers do more than edit video, compose complex music, or maintain large databases.

Apple is a business, a Hospital is a business, an Airline is a business, a Car Company is a business. Now you might want to fix your keyboard because it is either sticking on L, O and ! or you might want to grow up.
    avon b7dysamoria
  • Reply 22 of 198
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Maybe everyone will stop bitching about the damn MacPro now. 
    williamlondonbrucemcStrangeDayscaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 198
    The fact that they announced so far ahead probably reflects the fact that Mac Pro sales are so bad that they want to assure Pro users that they know there's a problem and they are working on it. They're trying to head off losing those users to Windows PC's. 
    I wish they would breathe some life back into the mini while they're at it. 
    Elvis has left the Building in Video. The tragic combination of iMovie Pro X ( d.b.a. FCPX) and the trashcan sent the editing world away from Apple and rightly so. Apple, with the attention span of a housefly, abandoned Aperture and those customers. They also ruined Logic Pro in a similar manner.

As someone with a real Mac Pro Tower, who bought and used Final Cut Pro, Aperture and Logic I was and am not amused. It did not have to be this way.

Apple has more money than any other company on the earth and huge human resources to devote to multiple product lines simultaneously as it is not the starving company of 1997 trying to remain afloat. They should be able to keep the Mac current while wasting money and people on crap like Beats. And , if it comes down to Planet of the Apps or a new Mac Pro, tell Eddie Cue to have a nice day and find a new job.

Blah blah blah. Your comments are from someone stuck in 2006. 
    andrewj5790StrangeDayscaliwatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 24 of 198
    I hope it's not back to the cheese-grater size again. That was a hefty machine that really didn't offer much upgradability for its size. The transition from that design to the compact cylindrical Mac Pro made sense as it was only a small reduction in upgradability.

I also hope they do better with the displays, usb-c provides the opportunity to run a great deal of ports over to the display. It would be nice to have the audio jacks closer to the user, as well as a bit more freedom in how far the display is from the tower. Dual displays on the cheese-grater and cylinder are annoying cluttered.

One last thing, since Siri, facetime and dictation are now frequently used technologies on the mac, it'd be nice if apple put some serious effort into the display's microphone system. (Multiple-mics with noise cancellation, etc.) Following this theme it would also be useful if the display included the fingerprint sensor and any 3d-depth capabilities that  the iPhone will utilise for authentication etc.
    If they were just relaunching the old chassis, I think they could have that going in a few months. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 25 of 198
    I hope it's not back to the cheese-grater size again. That was a hefty machine that really didn't offer much upgradability for its size. The transition from that design to the compact cylindrical Mac Pro made sense as it was only a small reduction in upgradability.
    Really, I have a Mac Pro that runs USB 3, has room for massive internal storage without a spaghetti bowl of cables, can be CPU upgraded in minutes, takes standard memory and can run rings around the Trashcan. The Mac Workstation design was a great job of HW engineering.
    elijahgdysamoria
  • Reply 26 of 198
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Good news and bad news: the good news is that they are not abandoning it, and making it more practical, and getting back into the display bit-ness. The bad news is, well, we knew that all along: the Mac Pro design sucked. All looks, no practicality, both for users and Apple, who could not upgrade it easily. What if they try these outlandish designs in parallel? Let users decide, and see which one sells better... 
    I wonder what modular means here, any speculations?
  • Reply 27 of 198
    Really, I have a Mac Pro that runs USB 3, has room for massive internal storage without a spaghetti bowl of cables, can be CPU upgraded in minutes, takes standard memory and can run rings around the Trashcan. The Mac Workstation design was a great job of HW engineering.
    USB 3 is old, "massive internal storage" means obsolete 3.5" spinning disks on a SATA II bus, lol, the newer Mac Pro also takes additional memory, and lol again. It was a decent bit of engineering in 2006, basically a retool of the G5 chassis. 
    edited April 2017 caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 198
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    macxpress said:
    Not by what we see on this thread...
    DavidAlGregorywilliamlondonandrewj5790StrangeDayscaliwatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 29 of 198
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    I wish they would breathe some life back into the mini while they're at it. 

Amen to that. I've been putting off purchasing a new mini in the hopes that an upgrade is imminent, however, after reading this comment from the DaringFireball link I'm thinking nothing is coming soon (??), 
    • "Near the end, John Paczkowski had the presence of mind to ask about the Mac Mini, which hadn’t been mentioned at all until that point. Schiller: “On that I’ll say the Mac Mini is an important product in our lineup and we weren’t bringing it up because it’s more of a mix of consumer with some pro use. … The Mac Mini remains a product in our lineup, but nothing more to say about it today.”

"Nothing more to say about it today." Hmmmm, what does that mean? Nothing coming this year but maybe next, or something imminent but we aren't ready to reveal, or a slipstream style of upgrade?? To buy or wait, that is the question. Sigh.
    watto_cobradysamoria
  • Reply 30 of 198
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    This is just The Cube all over again. Hopefully Apple does something incredibly boring that gives this small number of pro users what they want and then we never hear about it again. Mac Pro is something that should be there but not be thought about much.
    thewhitefalconDavidAlGregoryandrewj5790macxpresselijahgargonautavon b7
  • Reply 31 of 198
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    Two things to applaud. Communication and admitting they got the design wrong.
    randominternetpersonAI_liasargonautdysamoria
  • Reply 32 of 198
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    linkman said:
    If this refresh/update comes out in 2018, then it's what, only three years late?
    Never good enough for some people. How miserable.
    It was released on December 19, 2013. The next update of ANY kind was April 4, 2017. In the computer world, that's a long time. Waiting until *maybe* 2018 or later for a significant upgrade to what is supposed to be the professional workstation model with huge amounts of processing power is simply asking for some dissatisfied customers.
    elijahgdysamoria
  • Reply 33 of 198
    macxpress said:
    Don't bet on it.
    DavidAlGregorywatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 198
    linkman said:
    linkman said:
    If this refresh/update comes out in 2018, then it's what, only three years late?
    It was released on December 19, 2013. The next update of ANY kind was April 4, 2017. In the computer world, that's a long time. Waiting until *maybe* 2018 or later for a significant upgrade to what is supposed to be the professional workstation model with huge amounts of processing power is simply asking for some dissatisfied customers.
    I'm sorry but there's simply nothing that Apple could do that would have sirisfied some of the people who post on the blogs and rumor sites. Nothing. Also, the fact that Apple didn't just drop the Mac Pro when they said in the DF piece that it accounts for a single digit percentage of PRO users, (not overall users, not Mac users, but people who use a pro level app daily or at least once a week) is a very very good sign that all the whining about the doom of Apple and Tim Cook, yadda yadda, was a lot of wasted breath, typing, and energy.
    brucemcpatchythepiratecaliration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 198
    linkman said:
    linkman said:
    I'm sorry but there's simply nothing that Apple could do that would have sirisfied some of the people who post on the blogs and rumor sites. Nothing. Also, the fact that Apple didn't just drop the Mac Pro when they said in the DF piece that it accounts for a single digit percentage of PRO users, (not overall users, not Mac users, but people who use a pro level app daily or at least once a week) is a very very good sign that all the whining about the doom of Apple and Tim Cook, yadda yadda, was a lot of wasted breath, typing, and energy.
    These people simply refused to see that there weren't any real upgrades to be had until recently. And to be frank, most of them wouldn't even have bought a new one. They would have found something else to complain about, because that's all they do. 
    williamlondonbrucemcanomewatto_cobraMetriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 36 of 198

As for an Apple-branded pro display, that announcement would appear to be an about-face for the company, after it suggested last year that it was permanently exiting the standalone monitor business
    No, they never suggested any such thing. It is an about-face for the tech media that drew its own (wrong) conclusions, as usual.
    brucemcStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 198
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    There have been a large number of us who have been drubbing Apple personally, through both investor contacts, and contacts within Apple management itself to announce something. While I can't claim to have had any effect, the number of complaints they've received, I'm told, has finally caused them to go public. Apple was told that Cook's assurance that they care a lot about their pro users, and that they have big plans, wasn't enough, and that we needed something specific.

i understand the problem about killing present sales. But those sales aren't that great now, and so, losses there aren't all that important. But, it is true that there are some that have been moving to Windows, and buying workstations such as the Boxx, which, in a way, is the equivelant of the older Mac Pro. Hopefully, this will minimize that movement. In speaking to other members of the FCP user group, I've been to,d that many, if not most, of those that have moved to Windows would be willing to come back if it isn't too long from now, and Apple's offerings are really good.

as long as we're not talking very late 2018, then it won't be too much of a problem.

i'm also excited to hear about iMacs positioned for the pro market.
    ration alwatto_cobrasennen
  • Reply 38 of 198
    First reaction - April fools? Second reaction - if real, glad it's happening - better late than never, I suppose. For those bemoaning both the cheese grater and trash can cases, there is so much in between. Just finished building out a monster hackintosh using a beautiful Corsair windowed case - room for up to 9 drives (HD or SSD), plenty of PCI slots, fast processor and RAM - more work and less elegant than an Apple-authorized design? Yup. But I have it now. Now. Not "not in 2017". Less expensive, with a 4K monitor than anything we are likely to see from Apple. Could it be rendered obsolete by Apple with some clever coding? Yup. But the hackintosh market is such a fringe group, why would they even take the time to alienate them? Anyway - YMMV - it is a pleasant enough surprise to see Apple actually owning what has largely been acknowledged as a hugely ignored segment and making positive changes. Now if we could just get them to resurrect Aperture! ;)
  • Reply 39 of 198

As for an Apple-branded pro display, that announcement would appear to be an about-face for the company, after it suggested last year that it was permanently exiting the standalone monitor business
    No, they never suggested any such thing. It is an about-face for the tech media that drew its own (wrong) conclusions, as usual.
    But they allowed the notion they were out of the display business to linger on. I think had the LG display been better received Apple wouldn't be taking about new displays.
    avon b7dysamoria
  • Reply 40 of 198
    linkman said:
    linkman said:
    These people simply refused to see that there weren't any real upgrades to be had until recently. And to be frank, most of them wouldn't even have bought a new one. They would have found something else to complain about, because that's all they do. 
    This is quite unprecedented for Apple though. Says to me there was a sizeable chunk of their pro customers telling them they were ready to walk away from the Mac.
    dysamoria