Apple Music Android app brought up to par with iOS in major redesign

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
The Apple Music app for Android was updated with a significant redesign on Tuesday, finally incorporating the overhauled interface iPhone and iPad users received with iOS 10 last September.

Playlists for instance have been merged into a Library section, where it's also possible to narrow focus to downloaded music, for offline playback. The Now Playing screen likewise matches iOS 10, adopting a card metaphor with lyrics support.

Most visibly the app has picked up iOS 10's aesthetics, which Apple suggests should offer "greater clarity and simplicity." Listeners must have a device running Android 4.3 or later.

Apple Music is one of just three apps Apple has available for Android. The others include one for its Beats Pill+ speaker, and a migration tool for carrying personal data over to iOS.

The company typically prefers to keep services exclusive to its own platforms, but skipping Android users would have left the company at a severe disadvantage next to rivals like Spotify, not to mention cut off subscribers of Beats Music, on which Apple Music is based. People might also have been more hesitant to sign up if they felt they couldn't move between devices at will.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Interesting that there seems to be so many Beats/Music/video things coming together at about the same time. Android App, discounted Beats gear, the premiere of Planet of the Apps (also carpool karaoke?), the Clips App, and that leak about an Apple Music 'personal profile' section. I wonder if there's going to be a late Spring event focused on these 'culture' related products/services. It seems like they would definitely need to separate this stuff from WWDC; past missteps and bumbling aside, the reactions to these topics at WWDC have been pretty absurd (definitely not the right audience for these types of things).

Also, I would assume that there's got to be another music festival related announcement coming sometime soon. I'm surprised that they're still only doing the London one.

Despite some huge oversights (pathetic lack of sub-genres, poor-curation/neglect of certain genres (e.g. EDM), lack of customizable personal profiles), there seems to be a lot of potential. Even though I typically stick to one genre, I'm always impressed when I tune in to Beats 1.
    citrusui
  • Reply 2 of 3
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    You know what was a really good music app?

The iPod app in iOS 4.  It was great!  You had everything organized in ways that make sense.  Right at the bottom, buttons for your playlists, or sort by artists, songs, or even show videos.  It was all right there, easy to use.

I had forgotten how good it was until I had to power up an old iPhone 3gs the other day.  Wow!  The user interface is beautiful compared to what we've got now!

If we could have that user interface, that iPod app, with modern hardware and capabilities?  That would be amazing.  Somebody at Apple needs to take Jony Ive, smack him in the head a few times, and then never let him touch anything to do with software ever again.
    spacerays
  • Reply 3 of 3
    _rick_v__rick_v_ Posts: 142member
    darkvader said:
    You know what was a really good music app?

The iPod app in iOS 4.  It was great!  You had everything organized in ways that make sense.  Right at the bottom, buttons for your playlists, or sort by artists, songs, or even show videos.  It was all right there, easy to use.

I had forgotten how good it was until I had to power up an old iPhone 3gs the other day.  Wow!  The user interface is beautiful compared to what we've got now!

If we could have that user interface, that iPod app, with modern hardware and capabilities?  That would be amazing.  Somebody at Apple needs to take Jony Ive, smack him in the head a few times, and then never let him touch anything to do with software ever again.

I agree 110%.  We recently re-activated an old iPhone 3GS, after a family member broke their iPhone 6.  Expecting a trip down memory lane and look how far we've come, we were instead surprised how clean and straightforward the interface was.  Nostalgic.