Apple said to diversify Apple Watch manufacturing duties as sales expand

Posted:
in Apple Watch
The Apple Watch is currently manufactured by one company, but that's reportedly set to change in the latter half of this year, when Apple is rumored to bring on a second partner to build the flagship Series 2 model.

To date, all Apple Watch manufacturing has been handled by Quanta Computer. With the device posting its best quarter yet last December, Apple is looking to expand its supply chain, and will allegedly tap Compal Electronics for assembly duties, according to the latest details from DigiTimes.

Specifically, Compal is said to take over production of some Apple Watch Series 2 models. However, an anticipated third-generation Apple Watch, expected to debut this fall, will remain solely under the production of Quanta.

The details would suggest that perhaps Apple will keep the Series 2 model around at a discounted after the launch of a so-called "Series 3." Last year, Apple completely axed the first-generation Apple Watch, and replaced it with a Series 1 branded model with a faster CPU.

DigiTimes has a hit-or-miss track record with respect to Apple product rumors, but the site does relay accurate information on the company's supply chain partnerships.

The Apple Watch Series 2 debuted last September alongside the iPhone 7, adding a waterproof design, brighter display, and built-in GPS location tracking.

Earlier reports have pegged Quanta as landing orders for the "Series 3" model, which is said to boast extended battery life and faster performance. Still in question is whether Apple will introduce a model with built-in cellular data this year -- something the company sought but was unable to do in 2016 due to battery limitations.
GeorgeBMac

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    goofy1958goofy1958 Posts: 165member
    But that's impossible as all the analysts say the watch is a dud.  No one can be buying it.  /s
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobraNameo_
  • Reply 2 of 6
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    It didn't sell 90M a quarter so it's not a success.....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    i love the apple watch and i always wait for news about it.
    wlymwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    I really enjoy my Apple Watch (OG, I guess). I'm not so sure there will be a series 3 as early as this fall, but if there's some sort of design breakthrough (thinner I would guess would be Apple's aim) then perhaps. I think the Series 2 is all but perfected for that form factor, and if there's no Series 3 around the corner Apple should advertise the heck out of what a great device it really is -- it has completely beaten all comers thus far, and for good reason (and for anyone wondering, it's the same reason the iPod beat out "spec sheet"-better competitors).
    wlymwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    chasm said:
    I really enjoy my Apple Watch (OG, I guess). I'm not so sure there will be a series 3 as early as this fall, but if there's some sort of design breakthrough (thinner I would guess would be Apple's aim) then perhaps. I think the Series 2 is all but perfected for that form factor, and if there's no Series 3 around the corner Apple should advertise the heck out of what a great device it really is -- it has completely beaten all comers thus far, and for good reason (and for anyone wondering, it's the same reason the iPod beat out "spec sheet"-better competitors).
    I have an Original Series purchased last fall at a steep discount when the Series 1 came out.   I am completely happy with it.  While I understand that the tech specs for the Series 1 make it substantially faster, since my original series consistently responds in a blink of the eye and does all the things a Series 1 can do, I see no reason to upgrade to an even faster version.

What will encourage me to upgrade is additional functionality in the form of sensors such as glucose levels and oxygenation levels -- both of which are critical parts of endurance sports performance.  Because, when either one gets depleted you either slow down or stop completely.  Enabling either one of those sensors will enable to blow by every other high end sports tracker in the market. 

But, I am heartened to see Apple expanding its manufacturing base.  That's good news for the future of a great product.
    wlymwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    lexolexo Posts: 26member
    i love the apple watch and i always wait for news about it.
    It's okay. But my husband would still rather have a Rolex. Haha. The features are amaizing, but i blame modern age for branding a Rolex as a luxury.