Koogeek Smart Plug converts regular light socket into Apple HomeKit light

Posted:
in iPhone
Smarthome vendor Koogeek has updated its line of HomeKit products, and has released the Smart Socket -- a device that plugs into any Edison-style lightbulb receptacle turning it into a Siri-controllable light.

The recently released Smart Socket plugs into any standard E26 or E27 socket, and will drive any bulb up to 25 watts -- making it more suited to LED and CFL bulbs than incandescent ones. Fully HomeKit compatible, the hardware and app allows for schedule setting, use in Scenes, Siri control, and control from outside the house, when used in conjunction with a HomeKit Hub.

The app allows for monitoring of real-time, daily, and monthly power consumption of the bulb in the socket.

Not all lamps are physically compatible with the Smart Socket. The socket extension adds about two inches to the distance between the end of the bulb and the socket, and is also two inches in diameter.

The Koogeek Smart Socket is only available in white, and available now for $39.99.

While a fourth-generation Apple TV is able to be used as a HomeKit hub, starting with iOS 10, an iPad can be used as well. Further improvements to HomeKit in iOS 10.2 added support for for notifications from a variety of HomeKit accessories, including window coverings, occupancy, motion, door and window detectors, smoke, carbon monoxide, and water leak sensors.

Apple announced in October that it expects to have more than 100 HomeKit-compatible accessories available on the market by the end of this year. Device maker support has been slow due in part to Apple's requirements for a proprietary HomeKit chip, which helps to secure smart home devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,273member
    Really?! Couldn't manage to make it handle a paltry 60-watt incandescent bulb?
    What I'd really like is simply a Wemo-type wall outlet that was HomeKit compatible.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 2 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mike1 said:
    What I'd really like is simply a Wemo-type wall outlet that was HomeKit compatible.
    Jesus what a Neanderthal. Incandescent? Really?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    mike1 said:
    You mean like this..
    https://www.connectsense.com/smart-outlet

Or this..
    http://www.ihomeaudio.com/iSP5WC/

Or this..
    http://www.koogeek.com/product_p1.html

or there's this too..
    https://store.idevicesinc.com/idevices-wall-outlet/
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 4 of 15
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,052member
    mike1 said:
    WeMo/Belkin had a press release that clarified that their products will never me HomeKit compatible, and it is Apple's fault because reasons.

Remember: when the lamp is powered off via it's existing switch, this device will no longer work. Plan accordingly.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    eightzero said:
    Remember: when the lamp is powered off via it's existing switch, this device will no longer work. Plan accordingly.
    Easily done. I have three Hue lights and that's how I roll.

mike1 said:
    I'll never buy another paltry 60W incandescent bulb. No need, and equivalent output smart LEDs will get cheaper and cheaper. I will buy the occasional 100W incandescent because there is no comparable smart, Hue compatible LED. Yet, anyway.

I'm not a fan of WeMo kit. I've tried two wall switches, and they didn't work, support was horrible and in actuality, none existent, and they are very cheaply constructed. If I go the switch route, it'll probably be Lutron.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    I know that all the good names are taken, but really "Koogeek"??  It's hard to say, it sounds mildly offensive, it doesn't instill confidence. 
  • Reply 7 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,821member
    I've been looking at smart sockets, but they're so huge. It's problematic when the bulb is already a tight fit. Plus, the extra wide "collar" reduces the light shining downward, and for an upright bedside lamp that's half the point of it. My bedside lamp is a very bright LED bulb -- Switch 100, a 1600 lumens bulb. It's great but not smart. 

So instead for this use case im currently using an iHome smart plug and have the lamp plugged into that. This is nice in that I can program it and use schedules, but it doesn't dim and turning on/off with the lamp switch is a no-go, HomeKit/Siri/schedule control only. 

For non reading lamps throughout the house Hue bulbs are my preference. Fully scheduled, plus you can easily flip on manually if needed. Only drag is their poor lumen output. 

I take comfort in know this just the infancy of smart lighting.
    edited April 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Waiting on the Wi-Fi version of these
  • Reply 10 of 15
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    WAY overpriced!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 11 of 15
    What's the use case for this?  Wouldn't it just be simpler to by a HomeKit led bulb instead?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    eightzero said:
    mike1 said:
    WeMo/Belkin had a press release that clarified that their products will never me HomeKit compatible, and it is Apple's fault because reasons.

I always thought someone should invent an intelligent wall switch for bedrooms and a paired switch by the bed so that what ever state the current is in either end would reverse the state. In other words you could put your bed side light on or off at the door or the bed regardless of the switches' positions.

of not invented yet .... patent pending. 🤑
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 13 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,821member
    What's the use case for this?  Wouldn't it just be simpler to by a HomeKit led bulb instead?
    Different use cases. A smart socket supports many bulbs, including those which are not smart. In my own use case I have yet to find any HK smart bulbs that are 1600 lumens output.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    fmalloyfmalloy Posts: 105member
    Almost all of my house lights are recessed BR30 bulbs. Where's the love?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,837administrator
    fmalloy said:
    Almost all of my house lights are recessed BR30 bulbs. Where's the love?
    The BR30 still uses the Edison E26, does it not?