Mitsubishi reveals 2018 Outlander Sport with Apple CarPlay in tow

Posted:
in iPhone
An upcoming crossover SUV, the 2018 Outlander Sport, will be Mitsubishi's next vehicle to support Apple's CarPlay, the Japanese automaker announced on Wednesday.

Both CarPlay and Google's Android Auto will be supported through a 7-inch dash interface. The vehicle will also have a new, optional Touring package with various upgrades like driver-assist technologies, but it's not yet clear if CarPlay will get improvements like a larger touchscreen.

Mitsubishi is in fact being quiet on most details, promising to showcase the new Outlander at next week's New York International Auto Show ahead of a fall launch.

The earliest Mitsubishi vehicles to support CarPlay were the Mirage and the Pajero, in model years as far back as 2016. The Outlander line has only been compatible as of 2017 editions.

Fellow Japanese automaker Subaru recently confirmed CarPlay for another crossover SUV, the 2018 Crosstrek.

Most Japanese car companies are now backing Apple's platform, other examples being Honda, Nissan, and Suzuki. The only major gap is Toyota, which has actively refused to support CarPlay.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I wonder if the rumoured BEV version with 200mile range will be announced?

• Reply 2 of 8
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member
    Really Toyota?  What are you waiting for?

I would buy a 2018 Highlander the absolute second they announce Apple Carplay & Android Auto support.  As it stands they seem to be the only major manufacturer refusing to jump on board.. and are still offering their old ass EnTune system.  Which means the Ford Explorer and Honda Pilot are still my current 3row SUV favourites.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Avoid Mitsubishi.  Their dealers are terrible and the vehicle quality is below average.

Mitsubishi is by far the worst in quality of any Japanese manufacturers.  I can't think anyone that uses poorer quality materials...

Yes, I own a Mitsubishi.  Big mistake.  

If you are looking for low cost with decent quality KIA is probably your best bet.  American vehicles are also pretty good these days...

Apple support is becoming universal.  That's the last thing to look at when buying a car.
    RacerhomieX
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Avoid Mitsubishi.  Their dealers are terrible and the vehicle quality is below average.

Mitsubishi is by far the worst in quality of any Japanese manufacturers.  I can't think anyone that uses poorer quality materials...

If you are looking for low cost with decent quality KIA is probably your best bet.  American vehicles are also pretty good these days...

Apple support is becoming universal.  That's the last thing to look at when buying a car.
    OTOH, My 2015 Outlander PHEV is pretty good. My local dealer is just that, a local family business and are great. Just clocked 27,000 miles. The only thing to go wrong was a nail in a tyre and that can happen to any car. Yes it is not as solidly built as my last car but that was a Volvo V70.

So YMMV and probably will.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Wife and I lease 2 Prius (I don't know how to make that plural - Priuses?) - and love the cars. Getting north of 50MPG week after week. This is the third time we've leased from our local family-owned Toyota dealer - they have always treated us right. I was in the dealership last week for a regularly scheduled maintenance and ran into our sales manager. I told him our 3-year lease is up in 1 year and I wouldn't be renewing with Toyota because no Car Play. His eyes nearly popped out of his head - he couldn't believe that one thing would be a deal breaker. But it is for me. EnTune so totally sucks.  
  • Reply 6 of 8
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Mitsubishi reveals 2018 Outlander Sport with hideous grill design

• Reply 7 of 8
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

You're entitled to your opinion but I disagree. I have been in the Mitsubishi world since the 2003 Evolution came to the US. Between my wife and myself we have owned nine Mitsubishis, mostly Evos (5), Lancers (2) and Outlander Sports (2). Have the interior components had a history of being cheap? Definitely. With that being said these rigs have been the most dependable vehicles we have owned and are very well built mechanically. Mitsubishi engineers tend to over-engineer the drivetrain. (Look at the Evos able to handle another 300 wheel horsepower on factory internals). I can supply various engineering documents through a PM that illustrate their attention to detail if you like. 

All dealers vary. The service department at Gladstone Mitsubishi here in Oregon is one of the best service departments I have ever worked with, and it isn't just me that has experienced that. They often go above and beyond in making sure things are taken care of and don't over charge. The Ford and Toyota stealerships near me on the other hand has been nothing but robbers imo. That isn't to say all Ford and Toyota dealerships are bad, but it varies. That sucks you have had bad experiences with your local mitsu dealer. 

Since 2015 a lot has changed. With the new Outlander PHEV, they changed their interior quality and have been concentrating on rattles and noises. So much that they balance the springs during manufacturing of the PHEV to reduce the chance of road noise traveling up into the body. 

Mitsubishi had a VW emissions type of scenario in Japan a few years ago that sent them spiraling on the market. Nissan picked up $2.3 billion of Mitsubishi and some of the people in charge for interior design and operations have been removed -- replaced by Nissan employees. This has led to a huge attitude change in interior and models being deprecated. Looking at the newer models you'd see most of it is plush interior, mostly rattle free and attention to detail. Take a look at the new Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross.

Back on topic: I'm stoked that they are expanding CarPlay. However, I won't hold my breath in working well. I haven't had great experiences with the factory CarPlay installs by various makes and models. Toyota and Ford have been dragging their feet with the whole Sync deal. I'd rather see manufacturers work closely with Kenwood, Alpine and Pioneer, etc to get the best audio experiences while focusing on the software that runs their vehicles. Let the audio experts handle the interfacing with the phones and let the auto engineers focus on their vehicles. 
  • Reply 8 of 8
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    I think Toyota will be surprised to learn that many people have more loyalty to their iPhone than to their brand.  They are making a mistake.  Hopefully they will figure it out soon.