Apple launches new social-focused Clips video editing app for iPhone & iPad

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2017
Apple on Thursday released Clips, a new iPhone and iPad app geared toward shooting and editing video for sharing on social media. It's available as a free download from the iOS App Store.

The new Clips app lets users combine short videos on a timeline, with an upper limit of 60 minutes or over 300 individual segments. Users can then enhance their project with things like filters, symbols, and emoji, as well as "Posters," which are fullscreen text-based images used as title cards.

A Live Titles feature translates voices into text in one of 36 languages, and has its own filters, such as shapes, speech bubbles, and animated posters. Translations can be manually corrected.

The app can also auto-generate a soundtrack, stitching together introductory, middle, and ending themes.

Another feature, Smart Suggestions, uses facial recognition to make matches with people in the iOS Photos app, and hence recommend people to share videos with. Apple is supporting uploads to a number of online platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Vimeo.

Clips is a free download from the App Store. It requires iOS 10.3, and at least an iPhone 5s, iPad Air, iPad mini 2, or sixth-generation iPod touch.

Apple first announced the app in late March, in tandem with revealing the (Product)Red iPhone 7 and a 9.7-inch budget iPad. iOS 10.3 was released just a few days later, bringing a number of changes but most notably a switch to the more efficient Apple File System.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    getvoxoagetvoxoa Posts: 84member
    I searched on the app store on my iPhone, it won't show up. :(

• Reply 2 of 20
    getvoxoagetvoxoa Posts: 84member
    It's not even showing up under "Apps made by Apple". 
  • Reply 3 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Could be a really useful new video tool. I'll be playing with this app today.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    RoyfbRoyfb Posts: 17member
    "It requires iOS 10.3, and at least an iPhone 5s, iPad Air, iPad mini 2, or sixth-generation iPod touch." RIP 32 bit?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I see all kinds of snarky comments on twitter about the app icon. Does anyone seriously care about the look of an app icon? 
    Soli
  • Reply 6 of 20
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I see all kinds of snarky comments on twitter about the app icon. Does anyone seriously care about the look of an app icon? 

The most important characteristic for an icon is that it is easy to spot on your launch screen. I think it does that job pretty well.

@Getvoxoa
    BTW I found it on the app store using iTunes on my Mac.

edited April 2017 Soli
  • Reply 7 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I've never understood why people are so concerned about icons. Even the obsession with fonts befuddle me. There are certainly icons and fonts I find more and less appealing, but none of them matter to me unless it affects usability. For example, on my macOS Dock I have so many icons that are dominated by blues which means that I have to space them out with other icons that may not be the most productive order, in terms of app usage, in order to optimize my peripheral viewing access with my side-mounted Dock… but even that's so minor that I don't even both with changing icons. If I were going to want some sort of icon option, it would be for specific files for a particular app that I keep in my Dock since they all use the same icon. For example, I access 4 different Numbers files throughout the day—everyday—and each one has the exact same icon, which is not ideal, and, yet, I deal.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20
    I'm clearly missing something about this app since I have yet to establish any interest in downloading it, yet I know many that are excited about it.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sog35 said:
    stop letting some mindless fools on twitter sway you.

if those dumbbats knew anything, Apple would have been bankrupt years ago.
    These aren't random people I'm seeing, they write for tech websites. I just don't get the obsession with app icons. Who cares?
  • Reply 10 of 20
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    cool filter turns your video into a comic book
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 20
    mac-daddymac-daddy Posts: 151member
    NY1822 said:
    Yeah, the same filter Snapchat came out with a year ago.  :)
  • Reply 12 of 20
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    mac-daddy said:
    NY1822 said:
    SnapFace? 
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Soli said:
    I'm clearly missing something about this app since I have yet to establish any interest in downloading it, yet I know many that are excited about it.

It's iMovie Express, or iMovie Lite. Short Clips + Instant Filters + Stickers + Quick Upload to Social Media.
    I'm not on social media so it isn't of much use to me. However, it is fun to fool around with short clips to amuse the kids and my wife.
    edited April 2017 Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    mac-daddy said:
    NY1822 said:
    Snapshat didn't come up with shit, those things existed before.

Like everything Apple, it's how it integrates with the rest of the apps that's the key, not the bullet point features.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    And now it seem Apple is encouraging people to hold the phone vertical to record video.  I find video recorded that way very annoying.  Am I alone disliking vertical video?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 20
    icoco3 said:
    And now it seem Apple is encouraging people to hold the phone vertical to record video.  I find video recorded that way very annoying.  Am I alone disliking vertical video?
    It is the more natural way to hold the device. Are all the videos square? If so, then they don't suffer from VVS.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Soli said:

It's iMovie Express, or iMovie Lite. Short Clips + Instant Filters + Stickers + Quick Upload to Social Media.
    I'm not on social media so it isn't of much use to me. However, it is fun to fool around with short clips to amuse the kids and my wife.
    Meh.... I find Apple's move to multiple similar apps or services quite off putting. Too many music services, too many movie apps.

Why not merge iMovie and Clips? - or at least make it 100% integrated? 
    And why not make customising of Photos Memories integrate into iMovie?

Crazy.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Soli said:
    If I were going to want some sort of icon option, it would be for specific files for a particular app that I keep in my Dock since they all use the same icon. For example, I access 4 different Numbers files throughout the day—everyday—and each one has the exact same icon, which is not ideal, and, yet, I deal.
    Soli, just a thought. Why not give every file a custom icon? Cmd-I on the file and paste a different one?
    Soli
  • Reply 19 of 20
    JanNL said:
    Soli said:
    If I were going to want some sort of icon option, it would be for specific files for a particular app that I keep in my Dock since they all use the same icon. For example, I access 4 different Numbers files throughout the day—everyday—and each one has the exact same icon, which is not ideal, and, yet, I deal.
    Soli, just a thought. Why not give every file a custom icon? Cmd-I on the file and paste a different one?
    I haven't done that in so many years that I never even considered it. Unlike with app icons which revert when updated, this should hold, especially since their aliases. Thanks.