Apple drops to 5th place in LaptopMag's brand rankings after leading for multiple years

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 94
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    gatorguy said:
    chasm said:
    As for Laptop's rankings, some (not all) of the criteria seems spurious and deliberately designed to punish Apple/ensure they don't win. You can argue the point about "variety of price points" a bit, but essentially Apple is being punished for not making junk models for the cheapskates, and that's the truth.
    Are so many commenters missing the fact that for the past several years the same Laptop Mag rankings put Apple at the top?
    Quote: "Apple has lost its place at the top of Laptop Mag's annual ranking of the best notebook brands after six years"

I hardly think they've all of a sudden decided to treat Apple unfairly with no sign of of it in past rankings.
    Sure, they did this because they wanted a jump in hits.  

Given they changed the criteria it was designed to force Apple from the #1 slot.  They removed the software criteria and increased Reviews by 5.  Then downgraded innovation for a laptop that has TB3 + USBC, fastest SSD and a touchbar?  Why does MS get a 4 with the excellent Surface Book?

2016 values vs 2017 values
    Reviews 28 v 28
    Support 19 v 19
    Design 12 vs 13
    Warranty 5 v 5
    Software 5 v 0
    Innovation 9 vs 7
    Value and Selection 5 v 5

They took away 5 points just to make sure Apple fell sharply despite nothing much changing in the industry.  Then plussed up Reviews where Lenovo went from 18 to 31, ASUS went from 24 to 30 and HP went from 16 to 27. 

Ya, they did it deliberately or why remove the software section?  And Lenovo had such a better year that they went from 18 to 31?  They reviewed 33 models.  And the 2016 Yoga Book is most innovative? Right.  Which is why they gave it 3 stars.

User comments:
    • James Says: 
      March 20th, 2017 at 9:34 am

No avoid Lenovo at all costs! Extremely slow, full of bloatware and adware plus Lenovo never live up to their warranty even if you computer bursts into flames.. they just refuse to give refunds.

• Craig Schafer Says: 
      February 8th, 2017 at 4:47 pm

There is no way Lenovo deserves to rate that high on customer support. They never have spare parts available and so repairs take an unreasonably long time.

• mary1 Says: 
      December 30th, 2016 at 7:57 pm

Ive just bought a Lenovo..B50-50. The sound is almost zero no matter how its adjusted. The computer is flimsy and the keys stick all the time. For some reason,, despite saving all my passwords...i have to keep requesting reset. Its cheap, but was not cheap to purchase. The warranty was for one year, but after checking it expires in May 2017. I bought it 16th December. I wish id done more research or simply bought another ACER or HP...Lenovo comp is really a shabby computer

• John Pastor Says: 
      September 20th, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Boy, I bought a piece of lousy hardware from Lenovo in 2015. Trouble started as soon as the warranty expired last Jan. 18th. It went into sleep mode and wouldn't wake up for months for anyone. I had to pay to get it working again. Then two months later--overnight--the sound card dies. I've never been able to use it without a power cord because the battery will not recharge. I paid $550 for this crap, and I would never buy anything from this Chinese outfit again.

• Martyn Says: 
      September 16th, 2016 at 6:43 pmThese are the worst reviews I've ever read. Badly written and many of them just stupid. I have bought a Lenovo just because these reviews are so awful. Based on the opinions of these jerks here I'm expecting it to be awesome.
    • James Winters Says: 
      September 9th, 2016 at 10:27 pm

We bought two Yoga S1 notebooks and literally couldn't be happier. The upgrade to Windows 10 was easy and the hardware has not had any problems. They've been roughly handled and even dropped a couple times. Our kids will likely receive a couple for christmas.

• Neeliegirl Says: 
      September 3rd, 2016 at 2:37 am

Trashiest of laptops, Had the worst experience multiple times a year, Hard drive crashed, mother board conked within 8 months , battery issues. Terrified of the name and the product now

• Sloth Demon Says: 
      July 19th, 2016 at 9:40 am

Our school uses Lenovo Thinkpads and my teacher hooked it up to a smartboard and got the BSOD(blue screen of death) and during technology we use thinkpads and they are almost as terrible like the imac g5s in the school and the internet on the laptops suck even more than the dell optiplexs at my school!!!!!! F*** LENOVO HP IS THE BEST!!!!!

• Reacher Says: 
      July 12th, 2016 at 4:22 pm

Never buy a computer from Lenovo. I ordered an Idepad 510s from their website. It arrived with a non-working screen. After a couple of hours with tech support and sales support (who didn't work over the weekend), I requested a replacement. They didn't begin to process the replacement until they had received my original computer back in their warehouse, which took several days. After that it was supposed to take two weeks to receive a replacement. I have been waiting for more than a month so far, and the expected date keeps getting pushed back. According to their customer service, the best case scenario is that I will receive a replacement computer more than 2 months after my original computer order. I don't even feel confident that the computer I receive will be in working order. Steer clear of this disaster of a company. No deal they could offer you would be worth the hassle of dealing with them and the shoddy quality of their products.

• Nagesh singh Says: 
      June 5th, 2016 at 1:21 pmI have G 50/model of lennovo and I am using it since last 8 month....it is one of pethetic service by lennovo...they have given me poor quality battery which give me back of 4 min after power cut. Whenever I call to lennovo support team they never try to resolve the issue they always try to make fulish all the customer....they always try to cheat customers. Poor service they have.
    http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/lenovo-brand-rating

brucemc
  • Reply 82 of 94

wizard69 said:
    Not surprised one bit!

Apple has gotten greedy with pricing and that will impact sales.   They did the same thing a couple of years after the original Mac came out.  I never upgraded my Mac Plus until 2008 when the cost factor was more acceptable. Spent years in Linux hell simply because of Apple pricing structure.  In many cases it wasnt about profit for Apple but rather seeing how much they could get away with.   Gouging if you will.  

Interestingly the post Mac Plus years sort of mirror what is happening today.  Apple couldnnt get improved computers out the door even when chips existed.  At the same time they became obsessed with closed un upgradable hard ware.  Hardware that was frankly grossly over priced and very low performance.   

Honestly i think LaptopMag hit the bulls eye in many respects here.  No article is perfect but all the support for Apple in this ggread is non sense.   Key here is value which Apple engineered out of its machines.   Mac Book is a perfect example, a grossly overpriced netbook.  

Apple use to make professional laptops suitable for real work.   You could expect long run times on battery power running demanding apps.  Now you are lucky if you get a couple if hours out of a battery.    When it comes to things pros care about the new MBP's suck.  I suspect this has a lot too do with Apple getting wrapped up in its own testing for marketing purposes.   The testing is honest but unfortunately diesnt reflect how people actually use their machines.  In otherwords Apple lost sight of its customers and their needs.   Out of touch and out of mind.  
    Nice trolling.  Laptop mag reports 10:32 hours battery life which is much higher than the Dell XPS 15 (6:36) the category average of 6:57.

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/macbook-pro-15-inch

The Lenovo does 12:21 hours but at 100 nits brightness...
    brucemc
  • Reply 83 of 94
    Speed1050Speed1050 Posts: 24unconfirmed, member
    I can't comment on the XPS, but honestly 3.5 hours is realistic for the 2016 15" running Photoshop at 60-70% brightness, on weak wifi and with no external devices connected. 

I would sacrifice a bigger chassis for a better battery life, if that was the trade off. 
  • Reply 84 of 94
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Never heard of "Laptop Mag".
    That's understandable, they're only ranked 6th among laptop mags according to Laptop Mag Reviews, citing an unusual amount of BS in this year's content. ;)

There are valid criticisms of the newest MBPs including selling 2 year old models at full price, the higher price for the latest models, the lower battery sizes but people buy these machines to last for years and Apple's build quality is second to none. There's no way the overall experience and value (including resale) from Dell, Lenovo, Asus etc comes close to Apple's laptops, even at the higher prices. This will be an attempt to push Apple to drop the prices and ditch the old models (old MBP and Air) and they'll shoot back to number 1 next year.
  • Reply 85 of 94
    bulk001 said:
    appex said:
    Apple should make all Macs with upgradable (not soldered) components like microprocessor and GPU, and mostly for RAM and SSD. Never using proprietary connectors but standard ones.
    Why? Because they would be more profitable and successful as a company?
    Or do you actually mean "Personally, I would prefer if Apple made..."?
    I would personally prefer it so that if I wanted to upgrade my RAM or HD I don't need to buy a whole new laptop. Until they started soldering them in, we would routinely update ram and HD's in our company laptops. 
    Actually, I  personally prefer this myself as well. But this is just because coming from my historic experience. Starting with overclocking by moving some SMDs around ;) OTOH I would never think about doing the same for my washing machine (even though for sure you could upgrade it, hardware and software wise), my other appliances, or my car. No one claims that the manufacture "should make the fridge/car engine/etc  upgradable". And I would suppose that for the majority of customers the computer falls into the same category for them. Therefore, economically it wouldn't make sense for Apple to offer a feature only a few, well informed people would care about. 
    How about just making them repairable. Everything inside Apple laptops is to make them thinner regardless of the consequences.  They never asked anyone if they wanted only one port and just loved the idea of throwing away their current cables and buying dongles.  The "Pro" title is nothing but a joke. Apple is getting the reviews it deserves, and defending bad judgment only encourages Apple to continue their misguided engineering.  Someone needs to tell Ives that substance comes before style.  Start with a great machine concept, THEN design the package.
  • Reply 86 of 94
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    launfall said:
    They never asked anyone if they wanted only one port
    "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said, 'A faster horse'." – Henry Ford

I wanted one PORT. I absolutely wanted one port. Who doesn't want to have a single port that works with everything? What I didn't want is ONE port. I want four. Five. Six. However many.
  • Reply 87 of 94
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    k2kw said:
    There is no question in my mind that the reaction to last years MBP refresh is what finally caused Apple's Mac announcement last week. Also not surprising the announcement came around the time of Windows Creators update launching. I was listening to iMore's Apple Talk podcast this morning. One of the guys on the podcast - Michael Gartenberg - recently worked at Apple in Phil Schiller's org. The impressions I got from him were that Apple was definitely taken aback by the MBP criticism and that Microsoft taking share from Apple in the pro market is something Apple needs to be worrie about. The popular iOS software djay Pro was just ported to Windows and it's being shown off using the new Surface Studio.  Whether Microsoft really has momentum or not it's clear they're going after creative pros and the perception out there is they're the one doing cool, innovative things and Apple is being conservative and predictable (thinner, lighter, more appliance like products). Surface Studio might be a completely niche product but it looks cool and no doubt got graphic designers and other artists excited.

Honestly I wonder if Apple's functional org design sometimes hurts them. If the Mac and iPad were stand alone business units and not sharing engineering resources with iPhone might these products get more attention and thus more innovation (on both hardware and software)? Oh and going back to iMore for a second, Rene Ritchie needs to stop with the resources excuse. Apple doesn't have that many product lines. If they don't have the resources to keep iPhone, iPad and Mac current then there's clearly something wrong organizationally or from an executive level priority standpoint.
    Makes me wonder if the lack of enthusiasm for TouchBar has caused Apple to hold up the new MacBook based on KabyLake.
    I don't think Apple has given up on the TouchBar (yet). But in general they need better evangelism when it comes to the Mac (and iPad). I can't remember the last time I saw a Mac or iPad commercial on TV. I see Surface and Windows 10 PC commercials on TV all the time. Apple had the shot on iPhone campaign a while back. Where is something similar for Mac or iPad? Where is the campaign showing all the creative things being done with iPad? And things anybody can do, not someone climbing to the top of a mountain holding an iPad in their hand. I think Apple has allowed Microsoft to get a foothold here and it's not good for Mac or iPad. And unless you're really invested in Final Cut or Logic do you have a reason to stay with the Mac? Yes for those who refuse to use Windows but my guess is that's a tiny percentage of the pro market.

I think apple's mistake was charging such a premium for TouchBar.   They should have increased the price of the laptop by $100 tops and then put it on all Models.   When Apple introduced TouchId on the iPhone 5s they didn't up the price to $700 to start.   They have set the expectation that new hardware models introduce new features at the prior years price point.   That now applies to other tech too not just their phones.

The touchbar is something that many users probably don't see a need for but may grow on them over time.   But for me and lots of others its now a game changer.   Its going to take time for users to be interested in it.   That's why they needed to put it on every MBP and every future apple Computer.  Its going to take a while to get all mac users hooked. And it will take time for programs to come to implement it.

so we will see if Apple is commited to it with the MacBook.   The Kabylake chip version should be out now or within the month.

• Reply 88 of 94
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    k2kw said:
    They have set the expectation that new hardware models introduce new features at the prior years price point.
    Hmm… Have they? When? All of their computer redesigns have started out more expensive than the previous.
  • Reply 89 of 94
    Speed1050 said:
    I can't comment on the XPS, but honestly 3.5 hours is realistic for the 2016 15" running Photoshop at 60-70% brightness, on weak wifi and with no external devices connected. 

I would sacrifice a bigger chassis for a better battery life, if that was the trade off. 
    Or you could just get one of the usb-c battery packs...which makes more sense because you can just leave it at home if you don't need it or use it with your iPad etc
  • Reply 90 of 94
    Speed1050Speed1050 Posts: 24unconfirmed, member
    nht said:
    Speed1050 said:

Or you could just get one of the usb-c battery packs...which makes more sense because you can just leave it at home if you don't need it or use it with your iPad etc
    I could, I agree (and will probably have to). 

I don't think that makes more sense than a slightly bigger chassis for a 97Whr battery as standard though, it would still be remarkably thin and light for a 15" laptop (and give more space for the SD slot so many seem to want)...
  • Reply 91 of 94
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    nht said:
    gatorguy said:
    chasm said:
    As for Laptop's rankings, some (not all) of the criteria seems spurious and deliberately designed to punish Apple/ensure they don't win. You can argue the point about "variety of price points" a bit, but essentially Apple is being punished for not making junk models for the cheapskates, and that's the truth.
    Are so many commenters missing the fact that for the past several years the same Laptop Mag rankings put Apple at the top?
    Quote: "Apple has lost its place at the top of Laptop Mag's annual ranking of the best notebook brands after six years"

I hardly think they've all of a sudden decided to treat Apple unfairly with no sign of of it in past rankings.
    Sure, they did this because they wanted a jump in hits.  

Given they changed the criteria it was designed to force Apple from the #1 slot.  They removed the software criteria and increased Reviews by 5.  Then downgraded innovation for a laptop that has TB3 + USBC, fastest SSD and a touchbar?  Why does MS get a 4 with the excellent Surface Book?

2016 values vs 2017 values
    Reviews 28 v 28
    Support 19 v 19
    Design 12 vs 13
    Warranty 5 v 5
    Software 5 v 0
    Innovation 9 vs 7
    Value and Selection 5 v 5

They took away 5 points just to make sure Apple fell sharply despite nothing much changing in the industry.  Then plussed up Reviews where Lenovo went from 18 to 31, ASUS went from 24 to 30 and HP went from 16 to 27. 

Ya, they did it deliberately or why remove the software section?  And Lenovo had such a better year that they went from 18 to 31?  They reviewed 33 models.  And the 2016 Yoga Book is most innovative? Right.  Which is why they gave it 3 stars.

User comments:
    • James Says: 
      March 20th, 2017 at 9:34 am

No avoid Lenovo at all costs! Extremely slow, full of bloatware and adware plus Lenovo never live up to their warranty even if you computer bursts into flames.. they just refuse to give refunds.

• Craig Schafer Says: 
      February 8th, 2017 at 4:47 pm

There is no way Lenovo deserves to rate that high on customer support. They never have spare parts available and so repairs take an unreasonably long time.

• mary1 Says: 
      December 30th, 2016 at 7:57 pm

Ive just bought a Lenovo..B50-50. The sound is almost zero no matter how its adjusted. The computer is flimsy and the keys stick all the time. For some reason,, despite saving all my passwords...i have to keep requesting reset. Its cheap, but was not cheap to purchase. The warranty was for one year, but after checking it expires in May 2017. I bought it 16th December. I wish id done more research or simply bought another ACER or HP...Lenovo comp is really a shabby computer

• John Pastor Says: 
      September 20th, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Boy, I bought a piece of lousy hardware from Lenovo in 2015. Trouble started as soon as the warranty expired last Jan. 18th. It went into sleep mode and wouldn't wake up for months for anyone. I had to pay to get it working again. Then two months later--overnight--the sound card dies. I've never been able to use it without a power cord because the battery will not recharge. I paid $550 for this crap, and I would never buy anything from this Chinese outfit again.

• Martyn Says: 
      September 16th, 2016 at 6:43 pmThese are the worst reviews I've ever read. Badly written and many of them just stupid. I have bought a Lenovo just because these reviews are so awful. Based on the opinions of these jerks here I'm expecting it to be awesome.
    • James Winters Says: 
      September 9th, 2016 at 10:27 pm

We bought two Yoga S1 notebooks and literally couldn't be happier. The upgrade to Windows 10 was easy and the hardware has not had any problems. They've been roughly handled and even dropped a couple times. Our kids will likely receive a couple for christmas.

• Neeliegirl Says: 
      September 3rd, 2016 at 2:37 am

Trashiest of laptops, Had the worst experience multiple times a year, Hard drive crashed, mother board conked within 8 months , battery issues. Terrified of the name and the product now

• Sloth Demon Says: 
      July 19th, 2016 at 9:40 am

Our school uses Lenovo Thinkpads and my teacher hooked it up to a smartboard and got the BSOD(blue screen of death) and during technology we use thinkpads and they are almost as terrible like the imac g5s in the school and the internet on the laptops suck even more than the dell optiplexs at my school!!!!!! F*** LENOVO HP IS THE BEST!!!!!

• Reacher Says: 
      July 12th, 2016 at 4:22 pm

Never buy a computer from Lenovo. I ordered an Idepad 510s from their website. It arrived with a non-working screen. After a couple of hours with tech support and sales support (who didn't work over the weekend), I requested a replacement. They didn't begin to process the replacement until they had received my original computer back in their warehouse, which took several days. After that it was supposed to take two weeks to receive a replacement. I have been waiting for more than a month so far, and the expected date keeps getting pushed back. According to their customer service, the best case scenario is that I will receive a replacement computer more than 2 months after my original computer order. I don't even feel confident that the computer I receive will be in working order. Steer clear of this disaster of a company. No deal they could offer you would be worth the hassle of dealing with them and the shoddy quality of their products.

• Nagesh singh Says: 
      June 5th, 2016 at 1:21 pmI have G 50/model of lennovo and I am using it since last 8 month....it is one of pethetic service by lennovo...they have given me poor quality battery which give me back of 4 min after power cut. Whenever I call to lennovo support team they never try to resolve the issue they always try to make fulish all the customer....they always try to cheat customers. Poor service they have.
    http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/lenovo-brand-rating

Thanks for doing all this research so that you can call BS on googleguy!
  • Reply 92 of 94
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    brucemc said:
    Apple needs to wake up:  They take off the shelf components, soldier them into a non-upgradeable box, and then sell them for premium prices.   There is simply no way (except for their ecosystem/infrastructure and software) for them to distinguish themselves...

Unfortunately, reviews such as this tend to discount that ecosystem and the OS, so Apple is downgraded...

Apple devotees whine and complain.  But, think about it:  on a strictly hardware basis, is Apple any better than Lenovo?   Their components are the same, their build quality is the same -- but Lenovo offers a broader array of choices and price points -- plus an upgradeable open architecture with excellent documentation:  at different times I have replaced the memory, hard drive, wireless modem and mother board (the old one couldn't swim) in my Thinkpad and the standard Lenovo documentation guided me through step by step, screw by screw...   Game Over...
    I hope that you are making a ridiculous statement in order to make a point, rather than believe this...

In the latest MBP, Apple introduced a completely new set of own designed components in the Touch Bar and Touch ID.  Apple has implemented their own SSD controller for the fastest SSD access on the market.  Apple also drives the development of features into the components they purchase from suppliers - or do you think that Force Touch in the trackpads was something that a supplier brought to Apple's attention?

While Apple of course doesn't "design" most of the components which go into the Mac (they don't "make" any), they do use premium components.  With latest MBP, they have largest trackpad w/Force Touch, very high end screen with wide colour, 4x Thunderbolt 3 ports.  Apple always has some of, if not the, best battery life (certainly the only one which meets the advertised value).

Is the build quality of Apple better than Lenovo?  I don't know.  My experience with Mac's vs. Dell/HP/Lenovo at work is that Mac's are far superior.  Personally my iMac is going on 9 years old, and my MBP is 6, and both going strong (one repair required but due to a defect which Apple covered).  Resale values in general would say Mac's "age" well.

Apple isn't perfect, and has clearly made a mistake with the Mac Pro.  With the latest MBP, it clearly didn't offer what many pros say they want w.r.t. ports and RAM, and the price increase is a sore point.  They have work to do.  However, to claim that Apple simply slaps stuff together and sells at a premium is hyperbole in the extreme...
    Sorry, but no...  The statement "They take off the shelf components, soldier them into a non-upgradeable box, and then sell them for premium prices."  Is not ridiculous.   It is, however, true.

The features you mention are pretty much frills:   the Touch Bar is a nice replacement for the 30 year old function keys and the Touch ID is a nice upgrade to the 10 year old finger print readers.   But they are not game changers.

You do however, point out one of the strengths of Apple -- which is paying attention to the little things that, together, make a great product.   I do not dispute that.   But, I would stress that Apple is not able to compete long term on a strictly hardware basis (as this review shows) -- because there is simply no real distinction between Apple hardware vs (say) Lenovo hardware since they are, essentially, the same.   The same CPU, memory, storage, ports, etc...  To say that the Quaker Oatmeal I bought at Kroger is better than the Quaker oatmeal I bought at Shop-n-Save simply defies logic.

However, in addition to the accumulation of little things, Apple can distinguish itself through its unique and valuable infrastructure/ecosystem as well as its software.   And, that was the main point I was trying to make:   Reviews such as this that focus on hardware will normally show Apple in a bad light.   The same happens repeatedly with its phones:  Whenever Samsung comes out with a new phone, the MSM compare hardware features and (falsely) declare it an IPhone killer.
  • Reply 93 of 94
    Eh, reviews/rankings/etc.  At this point I don't think they're very helpful in making a buying decision.  
  • Reply 94 of 94
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    Apple released an incremental update to its laptop line, with one new feature that nobody seems to know what to do with, so the drop in popularity and demand is not surprising. Laptops from other companies are dropping in price, and touchscreens, whether you like it or not, are popular with consumers, so more people are picking up Surface Pros and similar devices. Apple has stuck to its guns, and that's fine, but the market will decide. The designers at Apple focused on slim, which is the reason for USB-C and for the lack of expandability. Personally, I'd sacrifice some of the slim for the life extension you get from adding a bigger drive and more RAM a year or two after purchase. I also think the new keyboard is not great, and I've heard of lots of people having problems with stuck/unresponsive keys as they age. Of course, the new laptops are selling well, at least at first, because of the upgrade cycle. Apple loyalists with aging machines have to replace them. I work at a university, so I get to visually survey what kind of equipment students are adopting in large classrooms (300+). Two years ago, it was a sea of lit up Apple logos. Today, it's shifting towards less expensive (crappy) Windows laptops, hybrid touchscreen laptops, Surface Pros, and Chromebooks. The days where Apple can sell $1000+ laptops are nearing the end.