Apple's Mac, iPad dodge an ugly new NSA hacker bomb targeting majority of Windows PCs glob...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Dilger can be forgiven for reporting this at 7 PM on Friday, since pretty much all of the tech media was doing the same thing at the time, in breathless, dire-warning terms. This Microsoft post went up after that. All of the reporting about it is from Saturday morning.

But yes, as the unfriendlies and others have pointed out above, AI should update this article to reflect the new information, like every other reliable source has done. No need to change the title, but a key part of the article is wrong at this point. Windows 7+ and Exchange Server 2010+ are safe, as long as you are up-to-date. So it's still a big story, but not as dire as originally thought for competent administrators. For the incompetent, it's a problem. For example, the Trump Organization, as of last October, was still running Exchange Server 2007...

The real story here is how the general tech media and so-called experts can make such a big mistake so fast. Apparently, nobody checked to see if the exploits work against the most-recent Microsoft patches.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 22 of 26
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    They were NOT "has already been patched". Instead, they were patched AFTER they were discovered and tools released into the wild, whereas Apple patched them before a massive release of hacking tools happened.
    Thought it is worth pointing out the difference.
    edited April 2017 magman1979
  • Reply 23 of 26
    They were NOT "has already been patched". Instead, they were patched AFTER they were discovered and tools released into the wild, whereas Apple patched them before a massive release of hacking tools happened.
    Thought it is worth pointing out the difference.
    Actually, FWIW, Microsoft patched them last month. But nobody knew this Friday when the shit hit the fan. Because Microsoft had been silent about it.

You may recall that Microsoft cancelled the February "Patch Tuesday" at the last second. Nobody knew why, and it was a first, I believe. Then the March Patch Tuesday was historically large. Now seems likely it was all related to this.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    rob53 said:
    "Security through Obscurity"? I thought we got rid of that statement a long time ago. macOS and iOS are not obscure operating systems, at least not anymore. I have to wonder if Microsoft is actually behind this since they want everyone to upgrade to Windows 10. I'm seeing other articles about Microsoft's changing policies on how and on which platforms Windows is allowed to run. Adding this to the mix and you have to wonder. 
    In the end, Microsoft is gonna have $9.99 a month for Windows, $9.99 a month for Office, or here's a deal $14.99 for Windows and Office... R.I.P. A Cloud based Windwos OS where you are basically using it as a 1980's TERMINAL! FOOLS! You're about to get jacked! Haha nah JK...
  • Reply 25 of 26
    duervoduervo Posts: 73member
    The exploits documented in this latest dump have all been patched for quite some time. The risk/impact from this is just being sensationalized in order to generate traffic/revenue in the media.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    duervoduervo Posts: 73member
    The real story here is how the general tech media and so-called experts can make such a big mistake so fast. Apparently, nobody checked to see if the exploits work against the most-recent Microsoft patches.

Not a mistake. Not a story. Not the first time "tech media" and "experts" have done this. Won't be the last.