Password Protecting Folders?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey

Is there a way in X(.2) to make a folder or file password protected? Not just by user- but to everyone. So that whenever anyone wants to open that file/folder, they need to input a password I designate. (so that if I leave the computer running on my login, others still can't get in, even with my admin login...)

If it's not possible, is there a way I could engineer a way to do it anyway? Persay by creating another user login (for me) without admin access, that I usually go in, and then just login into admin whenever I need to access the file?

I'd much prefer the first way....... =\\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    No, you cannot do this.

You can, however, use the Finder's Get Info box to set permissions so no one can see inside it. It takes the admin password to unlock the Get Info box to change the permissions; so, if anyone else has the admin pass, this is no good.

The most secure option would be to use an encrypted disk image. Just open it when you need to access it. Each time you mount it, you must enter the password you set for it.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    That would be good- except I wouldnt be able to make changes to it. I'd have to remake the image each time, and toss the old one etc...

hmmm...