Alphabet Verily begins research on 10,000 patients to 'map human health'

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Alphabet's health-focused moonshot Verily is launching Project Baseline -- a project to both track long-term health of 10,000 people, and to create a map of human health.




Launched today, Alphabet and Verily are teaming with Duke University and Stanford Medicine for the program. Around 10,000 participants will be enrolled at a half a dozen study sites in California and North Carolina.

The study participants will span a range of human health, including both perfectly healthy and fit individuals, as well as those suffering from or with a high risk of diabetes and heart disease or other chronic diseases.

Verily will provide the "Study Watch" to participants. The watch isn't intended for wide consumer use, and isn't for sale outside the study.




The Study Watch is a functional watch, but is a dedicated device and lacks niceties for users like the Apple Watch beyond simple time-telling. It includes sensors for electrocardiogram (ECG), heart rate, electrodermal activity, and inertial movements and can store six weeks of data collected from the sensors. Verily notes that the data is encrypted o the watch.

As a benefit for participants, Verily will sequence the genomes of participants, to see if there are genetic pre-dispositions for disease and illness not yet discovered. All results gleaned from the study, including the data gathered from the genome study, will be returned to the participants.

Doctors involved in the study caution that like with most wide-ranging studies, that results will take time. Duke Professor of Medicine Adrian Hernandez believes that it will be "at least five years" before study data is useful to researchers and the wider population.

Project Baseline appears to be taking a slightly different approach to research from a hardware perspective than Apple's HealthKit using the Apple Watch.

It isn't yet clear how the monitoring devices differ between the Apple Watch and the Study Watch. Regardless of the differences, both study methods require user input beyond the sensors on the wearable through questionnaires and surveys presented to the user.

Apple's HealthKit is also in use and being evaluated at both Duke and Stanford. Currently underway, in January Stanford University is offering to hand out up to 1,000 Apple Watches and up to $10,000 in funding to instructors and members of the faculty, as part of a new program to find innovative ways to use the Apple Watch in healthcare. Stanford also used the technology for diabetes medical trials in 2014, and a cardiovascular study in 2015.

Verily is seeking participants for the study at its website. Users outside the geographical areas that the study is launching in are invited to "build a Baseline Profile" to contribute to the map of human health.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 19
    sog35sog35 Posts: 12,387member
    who wants to live forever! 
    who wants to live Forever!
    highlander

    pipe dream google at it again.

    please tell us what causes hiccups first before we try to solve immortality
    edited April 19 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 2,850member
    sog35 said:
    who wants to live forever! 
    who wants to live Forever!
    highlander

    pipe dream google at it again.

    please tell us what causes hiccups first before we try to solve immortality
    1) I wondered who would find fault with Google for trying to better our health. If thiis was about Apple 'mapping human health' you'd have had a very different comment.

    2) We know what causes hiccups. It's an involuntary contraction of the diaphragm muscle. What we don't know are all the catalysts for this myoclonic jerk and how to control it.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    sog35sog35 Posts: 12,387member
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    who wants to live forever! 
    who wants to live Forever!
    highlander

    pipe dream google at it again.

    please tell us what causes hiccups first before we try to solve immortality
    1) I wondered who would find fault with Google for trying to better our health. If thiis was about Apple 'mapping human health' you'd have had a very different comment.

    2) We know what causes hiccups. It's an involuntary contraction of the diaphragm muscle. What we don't know are all the catalysts for this myoclonic jerk and how to control it.
    come on brah. You and I both know Google is doing this just to sell more ads. People live longer = more ads.

    We still don't know what causes hiccups. you described what happens when some one hiccups, but not what causes the diaphragm muscle to contract involunarily in the first place. 

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/the-hiccup-remains-a-mystery-though-there-are-many-theories-about-its-causes-and-cures/2014/06/02/c282af74-b8fd-11e3-899e-bb708e3539dd_story.html?utm_term=.69a6294ebb2e

    “I think the jury is in that nothing works: It starts and stops on its own, and that’s about it,” he said.
    edited April 19 sockrolidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,750member
    10,000 people are about to be mercilessly spammed with health-based ads.
    Just watch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 15,938member
    sockrolid said:
    10,000 people are about to be mercilessly spammed with health-based ads.
    Just watch.
    There are no ads involved. Silly comment. 
    edited April 19
  • Reply 6 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 2,850member
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    who wants to live forever! 
    who wants to live Forever!
    highlander

    pipe dream google at it again.

    please tell us what causes hiccups first before we try to solve immortality
    1) I wondered who would find fault with Google for trying to better our health. If thiis was about Apple 'mapping human health' you'd have had a very different comment.

    2) We know what causes hiccups. It's an involuntary contraction of the diaphragm muscle. What we don't know are all the catalysts for this myoclonic jerk and how to control it.
    come on brah. You and I both know Google is doing this just to sell more ads. People live longer = more ads.
    Of course they are, and Tesla is just trying to sell more cars, but that doesn't mean their efforts aren't leading to safer driving.

    We still don't know what causes hiccups. you described what happens when some one hiccups, but not what causes the diaphragm muscle to contract involunarily in the first place. 
    I described it correctly. We know why you hiccup. We also know why you make the sound in which it derives its imitative name. What we know lesser of are the catalysts involved with the nerve sending a signal to the diaphragm, or why there's a need to spasm in the first place, why it usually stops on its own, or how to stop it safely. One day we could get an anti-hiccup pill that safely puts an end to it, but I doubt it since there's probably no real money in it for research.

    Also, a pharmaceutical company spending money on research so "people live longer," doesn't invalidate their work because they make money off the drug.

    This is a good thing!
    edited April 19
  • Reply 7 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 2,850member
    gatorguy said:
    sockrolid said:
    10,000 people are about to be mercilessly spammed with health-based ads.
    Just watch.
    There are no ads involved. Silly comment. 
    But then people live longer so Google can then have more time to inundate them with ads. This is where he draws his line in the sand that Google is evil. LOL
  • Reply 8 of 19
    sog35sog35 Posts: 12,387member
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    who wants to live forever! 
    who wants to live Forever!
    highlander

    pipe dream google at it again.

    please tell us what causes hiccups first before we try to solve immortality
    1) I wondered who would find fault with Google for trying to better our health. If thiis was about Apple 'mapping human health' you'd have had a very different comment.

    2) We know what causes hiccups. It's an involuntary contraction of the diaphragm muscle. What we don't know are all the catalysts for this myoclonic jerk and how to control it.
    come on brah. You and I both know Google is doing this just to sell more ads. People live longer = more ads.
    Of course they are, and Tesla is just trying to sell more cars, but that doesn't mean their efforts aren't leading to safer driving.

    We still don't know what causes hiccups. you described what happens when some one hiccups, but not what causes the diaphragm muscle to contract involunarily in the first place. 
    I described it correctly. We know why you hiccup. We also know why you make the sound in which it derives its imitative name. What we know lesser of are the catalysts involved with the nerve sending a signal to the diaphragm, or why there's a need to spasm in the first place, why it usually stops on its own, or how to stop it safely. One day we could get an anti-hiccup pill that safely puts an end to it, but I doubt it since there's probably no real money in it for research.

    Also, a pharmaceutical company spending money on research so "people live longer," doesn't invalidate their work because they make money off the drug.

    This is a good thing!
    v

    brah we are saying the same thing.

    we still don't know why we hiccup. we just don't.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    sog35sog35 Posts: 12,387member
    gatorguy said:
    sockrolid said:
    10,000 people are about to be mercilessly spammed with health-based ads.
    Just watch.
    There are no ads involved. Silly comment. 
    no ads for these 10,000 test cases.

    but once this goes mainstream you bet they will be spamming ads
  • Reply 10 of 19
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 15,938member
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sockrolid said:
    10,000 people are about to be mercilessly spammed with health-based ads.
    Just watch.
    There are no ads involved. Silly comment. 
    no ads for these 10,000 test cases.

    but once this goes mainstream you bet they will be spamming ads
    Well you go ahead and place your bet then. Personally I prefer not to waste money on what is almost certainly a losing one.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 26,223member
    gatorguy said:
    sockrolid said:
    10,000 people are about to be mercilessly spammed with health-based ads.
    Just watch.
    There are no ads involved. Silly comment. 
    I think sockrolid's comment contains a kernel of truth. Google lives and dies on their ability to scrape relevant information and use it to the benefit of their bottom line. All companies do this.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 19
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 1,382member
    gatorguy said:
    sockrolid said:
    10,000 people are about to be mercilessly spammed with health-based ads.
    Just watch.
    There are no ads involved. Silly comment. 
    Yet. Since Google is an advertising company I fully expect them to try to figure out how to work this into their core competency -- selling ads/data.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    wigbywigby Posts: 555member
    gatorguy said:
    sockrolid said:
    10,000 people are about to be mercilessly spammed with health-based ads.
    Just watch.
    There are no ads involved. Silly comment. 
    There are already ads involved. This story is part of a PR piece. Apple might make an announcement (if that) and does everything else in secret until a real product emerges. Google not only makes their money by selling ads, they make their money by marketing their moonshot initiatives in the form of advertising that is targeted to us based on...our personal data and preferences.
    edited April 19
  • Reply 14 of 19
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 1,519member
    I wonder what implications this data might have on individuals under the new GOP health care plan.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 3,397member
    So now google will track every time those people fart and figure out a way to sell the farting habits to some advertiser.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    jason98jason98 Posts: 734member
    First you sell your soul to G.
    Then you sell your body...

  • Reply 17 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 26,223member
    eightzero said:
    I wonder what implications this data might have on individuals under the new GOP health care plan.
    If the GOP ever snaps out of it, they'll abandon Paul Ryan's idiotic replacement and focus 100% on the repeal part. There's no constitutional authority for the Federal government to be in the healthcare or health insurance business.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 1,519member
    eightzero said:
    I wonder what implications this data might have on individuals under the new GOP health care plan.
    ...There's no constitutional authority for the Federal government to be in the healthcare or health insurance business.
    You might be right, but SCOTUS disagrees.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 1,309member
    sockrolid said:
    10,000 people are about to be mercilessly spammed with health-based ads.
    Just watch.
    It's either that or Google sells the information to health insurance companies. 
Sign In or Register to comment.