Apple to remove signature Fifth Avenue glass cube at cost of up to $2M

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    fred1 said:
    What I want to know is how the rumor started that Steve Jobs designed the cube. Maybe he had the idea, but the firm of Bohlin, Cywinski,Jackson did the real work. 
    I believe he's on the patent for the design.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    zoetmb said:
    spice-boy said:
    Maybe the "home" button will be embedded into the new glass walls. 
    I would imagine they would be extending the space further east towards Madison avenue under the building seen behind the cube, unless there is another floor below the current retain space. 
    That was my original thought (extending east), but since they're removing the cube it makes me wonder whether they're not instead extending west under the plaza or extending the main floor of the building into the plaza and the store will have a first floor presence.    Also, I was always surprised that the NY Fire Department permitted them to just have that one entrance/exit.   Although I think there are some emergency exits in the basement, that place would be a disaster in a fire.   The NYFD is very strict about these kinds of things.   They wouldn't allow AMC/Dolby to lower the exit light levels at the Dolby Vision theater at the AMC Empire so as not to reflect light onto the screen.

$2 million does seem excessive, even in NYC, to remove the cube.  I can't imagine it would take more than two days.   
    Don't worry about the fires, they won't be selling Galaxy Note 7's.