UK site The Guardian drops Apple News in bid to boost ad & subscription revenues

Posted:
in iPhone
Prominent U.K. newspaper The Guardian on Friday pulled out of two major app-based initiatives, Apple News and Facebook Instant Articles, in a bid to reclaim revenue.

"We have run extensive trials on Facebook Instant Articles and Apple News to assess how they fit with our editorial and commercial objectives. Having evaluated these trials, we have decided to stop publishing in those formats on both platforms," The Guardian said in a statement to Digiday.

"Our primary objective is to bring audiences to the trusted environment of the Guardian to support building deeper relationships with our readers, and growing membership and contributions to fund our world-class journalism."

Sites like The Guardian do make money from Apple News and Instant Articles, particularly since Apple News now prompts people to subscribe to access stories hidden behind a paywall. By directing readers to its own site and app, however, The Guardian is likely improving its take from ads, and can more directly nudge people into subscribing or at least donating.

In 2016 the site hit 200,000 subscribers, a number it will need to boost dramatically to hit a goal of 1 million by 2019. It also managed over 100,000 one-time contributions.

The Guardian is still involved with Google's Accelerated Mobile Pages, which like Instant Articles should load faster on mobile devices. In March the publication announced that some 60 percent of its traffic was coming in via AMP.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    That's a shame but I subscribe to the Guardian / Observer anyway so I'll still get my 'fix'. Apple news is my 'go to' for a quick scan, but I find it increasingly falls short of what I had hoped for. I guess it has built up a 'paxman' profile and attempts to feed that, Facebook style. The thing is I don't enjoy an entirely one sided news feed. I also don't like, no change that to I HATE, click bait articles that sensationalize news. In the age of Trump I am getting swamped by these articles that that take statements out of context and blows them out of all proportion. I understand why this happens and I am guessing it happens on the right as much as on the left. I am getting so sick of blinkered one sided shouting match style 'news reporting'. It is rarely informative or entertaining, but often tedious and insulting. Intelligent discourse is about the exchange of ideas from which the assumption is that participants can form their own opinions.
    argonaut
  • Reply 2 of 24
    The Guardian has a dilemma: They need more revenue so are trying to increase their regular readership but they've spotted that doing that by giving away their product doesn't result in revenue. To run a business that provides curated, researched and genuine news (whatever one's opinion of the Guardian), paywalls look like the least-bad answer at the moment.

I also agree with Paxman's comments about the overall quality of Apple News so perhaps the Guardian isn't a good fit there anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Good riddance. Who wants that leftist garbage the Guardian spews daily in their Apple News feed. 
    london111983equality72521tallest skilelijahg
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Here's what I want gone from Apple News - notifications of Sport results. Had to turn off CNN because of it.

I either:
    Don't care about the sport and don't care about the result.
    Do care about the sport, have seen the game and know the result.
    Worst case, care about the game, haven't yet seen it and the result is spoiled.

PS: I like the Guardian and will just continue to use their app.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I don't care about Apple News. Don't use it and never will. I prefer to go straight to the source. Why have someone curate your information sources and impose a wall between you and your interests? 
    The revenue problem for news outlets such as The Guardian is they are essentially competing with public broadcasters like the ever expanding Beeb.  It is very hard to make a living if you produce the exact same product as a monolithic competitor that is able to rely on tax dollars (sorry pounds)/the public purse for its revenue stream rather than sell content for which consumers are prepared to pay.
    Because of that reality, I don't think a paywall will help the poor old Gruniard.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 24
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    services like Flipboard, Apple News and Google News are addictive and I do use them, but they have contributed to the saturation and watering down of how we consume news. I don't claim to know the business aspects of this decision, but I do feel from my perspective that news organizations need to gain back their identity, and perhaps participating in these big news aggregators isn't the long term solution to that problem.
    argonaut
  • Reply 7 of 24
    I've given up on the Apple News app once again. It's impossible to get it to work the way you want/need it to. Why do I have to manually block all (dozens and dozens) news sources instead of just seeing the ones I have favoured?  

The Guardian apps are great; they really look good and work well. And their subscription prices are reasonable. However the writing is really bad.  There seems to be a personal agenda behind every journalist and every article reads like an opinion piece. Every story is one-sided, exaggerated, sensationalistic or just angry. 
    equality72521tallest skilelijahgargonaut
  • Reply 8 of 24
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    London, just accept that modern journalism is chock full of narcissistic wankers who think they control the world.  They are not worth feeding.

london111983equality72521pscooter63argonaut
  • Reply 9 of 24
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    I'm a big fan of Apple News and use it daily. I don't think I'll miss the Guardian that much, but nevertheless I don't like to see the service lose sources.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    This is Awesome. The Guardian is my most hated fake news outlet. 
    london111983equality72521elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    That's a shame, The Guardian is one of the few U.K. News outlets I trust. I used to like The Independant but they post so much s**** now.
    argonaut
  • Reply 12 of 24
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I'm glad they dropped Apple News. I never like that biased far-left agenda driven distortion of a news publication.
    edited April 2017 equality72521tallest skilelijahg
  • Reply 13 of 24
    entropys said:
    London, just accept that modern journalism is chock full of narcissistic wankers who think they control the world.  They are not worth feeding.

The Guardian could do worse than go back to Manchester. They'll have lots of luvvie reporters from 'Media City' (sic) knocking at their doors if they do return to their roots.
    But if they do one thing, please employ some proof readers. Your foopahs are legendary but recently it has got stupid.
    One recen article said that the "Last Power Station would close in 2026". Er.... No. The last Coal Fired Power station maybe. I know they pretend to be sort of greenish left so getting rid of all current Nuclear and Gas would go down nicely. The Term "Power Station" also includes Hydro as well. Better order the candles now then.

elijahg
  • Reply 14 of 24
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I would love to know if Apple News keeps a record of all the publications that its users BLOCK from view. In all of the psychosis that is the "Internet of Things," where certain companies want to record every event ever undertaken by every human on every device, knowing what users DON'T want to see is the only data I agree with them having.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    This is just silly commentary. I accept that you don't like the Guardian, but to call it a fake news outlet is symptomatic of the Trumpian self righteous bullshit that seems to be everywhere these days. 
    argonaut
  • Reply 16 of 24
    paxman said:
    …to call it a fake news outlet…
    Any media outlet that lies is guilty of faking news. That’s common sense.
    elijahg
  • Reply 17 of 24
    bellsbells Posts: 140member
    paxman said:
    This is just silly commentary. I accept that you don't like the Guardian, but to call it a fake news outlet is symptomatic of the Trumpian self righteous bullshit that seems to be everywhere these days. 

Yes we we are living in times when if a fact isn't liked and reported all the sudden it is labeled fake news. We are all doomed when we can't even agree on basic facts.

Its McCarthism all over again. You don't like something somebody said, label them a communist.

Todays its label the person a leftist, right winged, etc. It is simply a way of avoiding addressing the merits of an issue.

pscooter63gatorguytallest skilargonaut
  • Reply 18 of 24
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Amazing how perspective alters views. The Guardian to me seems  the most centrist and accurate source of information there is today.  Being full of scientific facts must make it a target for certain mind sets.
    paxmanargonaut
  • Reply 19 of 24
    bells said:
    Its McCarthism all over again. You don't like something somebody said, label them a communist.
    Reminder that McCarthy did literally nothing wrong and was completely vindicated. Everyone he “fingered” was proven to either be a communist or had direct ties to the party. He’s an American hero who has been slandered to high heaven.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I'm envisioning the ass hats spewing hate rubbing off to their stuffed animals while on their computers. Hate to break it to you Luddites but the vast majority of the Apple Ecosystem is Liberal. So is Windows, Linux and FreeBSD.

You can always try Minix or some dumb ass Plan 9 for shits and giggles.

McCarthy was not vindicated. He's a POS and always will be. He was not vindicated, no matter what a few `scholars' add to his Wikipedia page.
    singularityargonaut