Apple hires 3D, 360VR Toolbox developer Tim Dashwood to Final Cut Pro X team

Posted:
in macOS
Apple has hired Tim Dashwood, the author of a series of 3D and 360 VR plugins for video editing software. Dashwood has since made his existing plugins for apps such as Final Cut Pro X free to download.

News of the hire comes from Final Cut Pro community site fcp.co, which notes that Dashwood is currently attending the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) event.

The developer's 360VR Toolbox package--for working with immersive, surround video used with Oculus Virtual Reality headsets--was formerly $1000, but is now free to download. A series of other FCPX plugins are now free as well.

Apple identified video editing as a primary group of strategically important users in the development of macOS and new professional class Mac hardware.

The company recently--and uncharacteristically--outlined a roadmap for more powerful iMac models later this year followed by a redesigned, more modular Mac Pro that will likely arrive next year.

Apple also recently hired developer Wes Plate from Automatic Duck, to an apparently new position as a Product Designer within its Pro Apps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Yah, monster upgrade to FCPX alongside a decent Mac Pro.
    brian greenwelshdogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    That would be cool maybe even a professional photographer's program (again) while there at it ...  :)
    brian green
  • Reply 3 of 7
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    But but but Apple isn't working on its software anymore. 
    andrewj5790watto_cobraedred
  • Reply 4 of 7
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    entropys said:
    In two years.
    andrewj5790
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    But but but Apple isn't working on its software anymore. 
    Don't waste your breath. Most people here think that software takes zero time to produce because it doesn't arrive in a packing crate. 
    watto_cobraedredStrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 7
    fearlessfearless Posts: 138member
    All a bit sad really at NAB. The FCP X sessions are barely 25% full, Avid is doing great business, as is Resolve 14. I went to a couple of sessions in the hope I would figure out why I should care about this app, and I don't.  I found a couple of ADHD speed cutters defending its 4K performance over Resolve, and a despondent commercial cutter attempting a compelling demo using mute compound clips to cut a 30" piece to music.  Sorry guys, over. They f***ked it up. 
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 7 of 7
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,556member
    lkrupp said:
    entropys said:
    In two years.
    When Apple bought Camel Audio, it took them less than a year to integrate Camel's plugins into GarageBand, Logic, and MainStage. 

Of course, that was a different situation, because Apple bought them for the plug-ins. If that were the case here, his software wouldn't still be available for download (for free!).