Apple pushes 'Carpool Karaoke' launch back to 'later this year'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2017
It appears Apple's first foray into original video content, "Carpool Karaoke," will not make its scheduled April debut, as the company on Monday again postponed a launch party initially slated for March.

Apple did not offer an explanation for the apparent delay, saying only that "Carpool Karaoke: The Series will premiere on Apple Music later this year," reports Reuters.

CBS Television Studios, Apple's partner on the project, offered a similar statement on Monday, saying, "We're excited about our 'Carpool Karaoke' for Apple Music, and look forward to everyone seeing it later this year."

Apple first announced it was working on a spinoff of The Late Late Show With James Corden's "Carpool Karaoke" last July. Similar to its namesake, the Apple Music version of "Carpool Karaoke" pairs musicians, actors, sports stars and other pop culture personalities together as they go on a road trip and listen to their favorite tunes.

Apple lined up an A-list cast for season one, including Will Smith, Metallica, Chelsea Handler, Blake Shelton, Shaquille O'Neal, John Legend, John Cena, Ariana Grande, Game of Thrones co-stars Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner, and more.

At the Code Media conference in February, Apple SVP of Internet and Software Services Eddy Cue said the series would be available for streaming on Apple Music sometime in April. He also debuted a trailer that teased a selection of the 16 celebrity pairings for the 30-minute long shows.

The short ad also revealed a new Apple Music section called "TV & Movies" that will one day include both "Carpool Karaoke" and Apple's upcoming "Planet of the Apps" game-style reality TV show.

For Apple, "Carpool Karaoke" represents a first foray into digital media content creation, an area that has seen tech firms like Amazon and Netflix thrive. With coffers full of cash, Apple was long rumored to enter the space. For now, the company is attaching its original programming effort to the fledgling Apple Music streaming service, a platform Cue says has the ability to cultivate pop culture.

Whether the "Carpool Karaoke" delay also impacts "Planet of the Apps" is unclear.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    Apple, please. We are all begging you. Shoot this dog in the head now and put it out of its misery before the whole world knows what a disaster this idea is.
    tallest skilMikeymikemike54SpamSandwichasdasd
  • Reply 2 of 33
    scotty321 said:
    Apple, please. We are all begging you. Shoot this dog in the head now and put it out of its misery before the whole world knows what a disaster this idea is.
    Serious question: why is it a disaster?  I have never seen the Late Late Show or Carpool Karaoke (except for in one of the keynotes last year).  However, I work with a bunch of people who are very excited about it.
    mejsriclkrupp
  • Reply 3 of 33
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    They must be having trouble producing the component that makes this show entertaining at scale.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Apple's decision to announce production of three shows (Carpool Karaoke, Planet of the Apps, Vital Signs) before they're available is a break from the company's tradition of not commenting on unannounced products.

In my opinion, it's a mistake... and an example of why Apple's normal approach (NOT commenting on unannounced products) is best.  If a concept doesn't live up to the producers' original hopes, let it die a graceful death behind closed doors.
    wonkothesanejony0
  • Reply 5 of 33
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    scotty321 said:
    Serious question: why is it a disaster?  I have never seen the Late Late Show or Carpool Karaoke (except for in one of the keynotes last year).  However, I work with a bunch of people who are very excited about it.
    I may not be the very best person to answer this but I'll take a crack at it.
    (I'll explain why I'm not best at the end for whoever might be interested)

The Carpool Karaoke episodes from the Late Late Show were really good.  But then you take something really good, overdo the crap out of it, run it through a PC committee, and you end up with something seriously lame.  Like you take a good voice assistant technology and call it "Bixby." Also think of what happens when middle-aged people try to intentionally do stuff that will appeal to "the kids."  Or when little kids start adopting trends started earlier by their older siblings . . . totally obliterates whatever was cool about it.  I totally see how Apple doing Carpool Karaoke could turn out badly.  Apple could even damage their brand if it's LOL horrible.

I'm not the best person to answer because I am an old guy who doesn't watch any sports, don't have cable, married, kids, etc. The only show I watch is "The Grand Tour" and UK Top Gear even though it's not as good since the guys left. I don't follow Hollywood, don't care about fashion, etc.  Just about all the music I want to listen to is from the 90s or earlier. (but check out Thao and the Get Down Stay Down) I think I'm pretty cool but I doubt my family or anyone else agrees.  I watched a few Carpool Karaoke on Youtube to see what it was about after Apple announced their deal.  Red Hot Chile Peppers were great, did some of my favorite songs.  But I saw how kids reacted when the adults started joining Facebook.  It could happen to Apple. They need to be careful with this.  Apple has a PC risk-averse corporate culture, they could look like the biggest douches if they ruin this.

edited April 2017 mike54SpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 33
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'm looking forward to this. I've never seen Corden's show but I've seen clips of Carpool Karaoke for years now. It's only the thing I know about his show. They're enjoyable.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 7 of 33
    MikeymikeMikeymike Posts: 102member
    This is the shark that Apple is finally going to jump.
    Sad; everyone says so.
    mike54brucemc
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Mikeymike said:
    Sad; everyone says so.
    If everyone is saying it then you're obviously right to join the herd. 

I'm not a fan of Carpool Karaoke, but I just assume it isn't aimed at me, while the rest of the middle-aged couch spuds around here assume that they're more "down with the yoof" than Jimmie Iovine. 

This isn't going to get me to sign up to Apple Music, but Vital Signs might. 
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 9 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Oh, I don't know. Maybe they'll do something acceptable to audiences with this, but neither the idea, nor the execution has ever appealed to me and I never liked James Corden.

I think Apple is going down the wrong path by getting into generating content like this. This frivolous crap seems beneath them. Stick with what you know and do best, Apple. Let's see some eye-popping innovation again. Let others work on the entertainment that you can then sell on your platforms. Make a deal with Disney to generate new exclusive content with Apple, like what Disney/Marvel has been doing for Netflix (for example).
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 10 of 33
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So is this what Apple's $3B purchase of Beats was for?
    brucemc
  • Reply 11 of 33
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    maybe they have to remove and replace the Madona episode after her comments about the White House?
    edited April 2017 patchythepirate
  • Reply 12 of 33
    xzuxzu Posts: 139member
    You may need the new Mac Pro to watch it because of all the fun, and we know how little fun is in the Mac lineup now.
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 13 of 33
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    This makes no sense at all. You know damn well why Apple purchased Beats. We need to get over this Beats purchase. Its more than worked out for Apple. People here bitch up a storm because Apple never buys anything, specially anything large and when they do all people do is bitch because of reason X, Y, Z. Apple has more than made their money back on Beats and its actually making them money and has been for quite a while now. 

What's next, this is why Apple hasn't released a new Mac Pro? I'm just waiting for someone here to post that and be totally serious!
    edited April 2017 Solibrucemcpatchythepirate
  • Reply 14 of 33
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    macxpress said:
    This makes no sense at all. You know damn well why Apple purchased Beats. We need to get over this Beats purchase. Its more than worked out for Apple. People here bitch up a storm because Apple never buys anything, specially anything large and when they do all people do is bitch because of reason X, Y, Z. Apple has more than made their money back on Beats and its actually making them money and has been for quite a while now. 

What's next, this is why Apple hasn't released a new Mac Pro? I'm just waiting for someone here to post that and be totally serious!
    No actually I'm still trying to figure out what Beats was good for. And don't give me crap about a profitable headphone business. NOBODY was saying 'you know what Apple needs is a profitable headphone business'. Besides Beats headphone revenues are minuscule. Apple has said on more than one earnings call that the bulk of 'other' revenue comes from Apple Watch. And if you say they bought Beats to get Jimmy Iovine I ask what the hell has he done for the company besides these crappy reality tv shows no one wants. 
    brucemc
  • Reply 15 of 33
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Delayed, huh?

Apple is obviously having some logistical issues with getting a guy, a car, some road, and a camera crew together.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    macxpress said:

No actually I'm still trying to figure out what Beats was good for. And don't give me crap about a profitable headphone business. NOBODY was saying 'you know what Apple needs is a profitable headphone business'. Besides Beats headphone revenues are minuscule. Apple has said on more than one earnings call that the bulk of 'other' revenue comes from Apple Watch. And if you say they bought Beats to get Jimmy Iovine I ask what the hell has he done for the company besides these crappy reality tv shows no one wants. 
    I don't think you have a clue.....You want to complain, but don't have the facts to do it. Obviously it wasn't for the headphone business. I don't really think Apple cares a whole lot about Beats headphones although they could improve this line. Everyone knows this wasn't a huge money maker. I doubt the clientele for Beats headphones don't even know Apple owns Beats nor do they care. Apple cares more about the music side and I doubt Apple Music would be what it is today without this purchase. This is where Apple has made their money back from Beats...not their headphones. You don't know what Jimmy does or doesn't do. Just because its not all over AppleInisder and other Apple sites doesn't mean it just sits in a chair and collects a paycheck. He's very well known in the music industry and thats not a bad thing for Apple. 

And again, this has nothing to do with Apple's purchase of Beats. So lets put this stupid topic to rest. This horse has been beaten to death!
    edited April 2017 brucemcfastasleep
  • Reply 17 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    scotty321 said:
    Just because you don’t like the idea doesn’t mean others don’t either. There is a target audience for this sort of thing and it ain’t tech nerds. Both concepts are more like popular reality shows. They are relatively inexpensive to produce with no major script writing and production costs. Apple has to start somewhere to get its feet wet in the content business. If you were expecting a full fledged SciFi blockbuster like Avatar or X-Men then you’ll be waiting a long time. 
  • Reply 18 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

gtr said:
    Delayed, huh?

Apple is obviously having some logistical issues with getting a guy, a car, some road, and a camera crew together.
    Read the article. CBS Television is Apple’s partner. If anything they are the ones holding up production for whatever reasons.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Mikeymike said:
    Sad; everyone says so.
    If everyone is saying it then you're obviously right to join the herd. 

I'm not a fan of Carpool Karaoke, but I just assume it isn't aimed at me, while the rest of the middle-aged couch spuds around here assume that they're more "down with the yoof" than Jimmie Iovine. 

This isn't going to get me to sign up to Apple Music, but Vital Signs might. 
    Jimmy is pretty much late middle aged. Or old. 

Car Pool Karaoke has a limited shelf life. It was a good idea, but as I am sure Cordon himself will admit, it will run out of steam. At the moment it is also free on youtube, used to attract people to Cordon's show. So either that continues, in which case that is what people will watch and will get the bigger audience ( and probably stars), or the Late Show will stop doing that and this will only appear on Apple Tv. Cue engraged fans of CarPool on YouTube. 

Its a better idea than planet of the apps though. 

That said they could commission comedian in cars and localize it. Seinfeld meeting with British and Australian comedians would be ok. 

• Reply 20 of 33
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

gtr said:
    Delayed, huh?

Is he actually driving?