15" studio displays discontinued

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
well its been long rumored, now it has finnaly happened

they were overpriced anyway. It seems the 1024X768 res is going away.. one step at a time...

<a href="http://www.macminute.com/2002/10/21/studiodisplay"; target="_blank">link</a>

[ 10-21-2002: Message edited by: Paul ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>well its been long rumored, now it has finnaly happened

they were overpriced anyway. It seems the 1024X768 res is going away.. one step at a time...</strong><hr></blockquote>

We did seem to be stuck at that res for ages...

I still think Apple should do what Palm did and double the resolution but keep everything taking up the same space. If a program doesn't support the new resolution, it uses 2x2 clusters of pixels to effectively display the same as it did before. But if a program understands (and this could be built into cocoa, etc) then you instantly have a much higher resolution display with the same information on.

Amorya
  • Reply 2 of 3
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    1024x768 really is starting to look a little cluttered for the average OS (XP or OSX). It was just a matter of time, especially since Apple's 15" was ridiculously overpriced, as is their 17. (always odd, since their 22 and 23 are very competitive) I guess Apple just doesn't want to be in the low end. 1280 really is the minimum acceptable width now. I use 1152x864 and it seems fine, but I don't use XP or OSX.

There are some interesting alternatives to the 15" out there. There is a 1280x1024 16" by Samsung, and also a 1280x768 (16:9.6) unit and some weird 15.7 and 16.3 widescreen sizes too.

The easiest thing might be too scrap the 17 display aswell and replace it with a iMac sized widescreen 17, then intro a 19"/20" widescreen to make an all widescreen lineup that covers all the sizes.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    thats a actually a good thing because it is cheaper to make a widescreen 17" then a regular 17" because the widescreen has less screen real estate...

maybe prices will come down...