With AirPods, Beats & surging Apple Watch sales, Apple's wearables business the size of a ...

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple Watch sales "nearly doubled year-over-year" in the March quarter, Apple CEO Tim Cook said during the company's quarterly results call, helping to push combined wearables revenues into Fortune 500 levels.

"Demand for AirPods significantly exceeds supply and growth in Beats products has also been very strong," Cook explained during the call. "In fact, when we combine Apple Watch, AirPods, and Beats headphones, our revenues from wearable products in the last four quarters was the size of a Fortune 500 company."

The CEO noted that the March quarter was the first full period of shipments for AirPods, further suggesting that the product is "still very much in the ramping mode," and "not even coming close to satisfying the demand."

Asked about the possibility of broader wearables products, he said only that "we do have a really great pipeline here," and that the company is "very committed" to the Apple Watch.

Watch sales during the quarter were driven by the Series 2, which enhances the original model with GPS, true waterproofing, and a faster processor. Cook in fact indicated that sales "more than doubled in six of our top 10 markets," despite coming in a post-holiday window.

Apple is believed to be working on a third-generation Apple Watch premiering later this year. Features are largely unknown at this point, but rumors have pointed to a faster processor, extended battery life, and/or a 4G connection, which might let it run fully independent of an iPhone.

More distant are the company's alleged augmented reality glasses. The company is reportedly "stepping up" development efforts, using a team of hundreds, but no retail product is expected until at least 2018.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Oh man I bet it just steams some people's clams to see Apple not release specific Apple Watch numbers. Specifically, those who still don't believe in the Apple Watch as a viable product for them and though it was stupid from the get go. And, those who expected the Apple Watch to be a smash hit, selling as many watches as Apple does iPhones which was totally absurd. I see Apple Watch continuing to grow for a while. I see more and more and more people with them and everyone I speak with likes them. They may not know what it can do right away but they see the light eventually.
    jahbladeStrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    stanthemanstantheman Posts: 332member
    Apple Glasses are next.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    The iEye
    wlymlostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    jagnutjagnut Posts: 24member
    thrang said:
    The iEye
    How about the.  iBall.  ðŸ˜€
    thrangcaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    Flop.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    thrang said:
    The iEye
    Hilarious, bro. :
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    macxpress said:
    I see Apple Watch continuing to grow for a while. I see more and more and more people with them and everyone I speak with likes them. They may not know what it can do right away but they see the light eventually.
    I agree. And I see more and more people with them as well.  My wife asked me to pick up some eye pencil from Sephora on Monday, two of the girls working there were wearing Apple Watches (and they were the only two I interacted with, their watches were not the same color and had different bands, too, so I don't believe they are company assigned for work purposes).  Last month we were at Hershey's Chocolate World and I saw many many people wearing them.

The comment in the article about "true waterproofing" kinda bugs me.  I have the original Apple Watch Sport (and a Space Black Stainless Steel version) that I got on launch day, April 24, 2015.  I wear the Sport to the gym a few days a week, when I wash my hands and shower every day and swimming in pools and in a lake.  I've even worn it water skiing.  It works just fine.  Sure, maybe I can't go diving with it but I swim deep enough in the lake and it hasn't had any adverse effects (with the exception that Siri cannot understand me if the watch was recently under water).  I understand that it is supposed to be only minimally water resistant but I feel like even the original is resistant enough for most people's every day use.
    calilostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    jagnut said:
    thrang said:
    The iEye
    Or the Jony Iye.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    The Apple Watch is a winner! Could it be improved? Yes. That's what Apple does. So many previous examples of this; the white iBook (one of my favorite Apple products, ever) and compared to the current Rose Gold MacBook. 

The AirPods, just a brilliant piece of kit. Couple them w/ the Apple Watch and they really enhance the capabilities of the Watch.
    caliStrangeDayslostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    thrang said:
    The iEye
    jagnut said:
    thrang said:
    The iEye

Two laughs in one hit. :-D

Who says this place doesn't give value for money. 
    calipscooter63lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    igorsky said:
    Flop.
    You are.

(just kidding)
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 12 of 20
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Apple Glasses are next.
    Hope so.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Apple Watch is currently selling generation 2 (halfway point through that cycle).  AirPods are generation 1.  It took the iPhone until gen 4 to really take off.  iPod similarly was 4ish years after launch.  iPad was different, but as we see it was a case of rapid take-off but then coming back down. Anyone that thinks a brand new product (in what is essentially a brand new market - smartwatches) has to sell like gangbusters in the first year is clueless.

I think the long-term potential for wearables is huge and have said this since AW was unveiled.  Wearables will be Apple's 2nd biggest product category after the iPhone - eclipsing both iPad and Mac in revenue (individually - not saying combined) - in a few years.  I expect it will take longer for some wearables - smartwatches are fighting against a trend ongoing for years where people were no longer wearing watches.  The iPhone on the other hand was launched into the growing smartphone category (which they redefined).  I think by generation 5, the AW will a mainstream device.

What is the ASP of AW?  Maybe $350 given the preference for Series 2, fact that 42mm is $399, with stainless and ceramic much higher?  Together with $150 for AirPods, and that is $500 as combined - right up there with iPhone - if you think of them in that manner.

Apple is just getting started.
    calilostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    but but but Apple is too dependent on iPhone and needs to diversify its product lines!
    calilostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Watch 3 and a new AppleTV with a proprietary A-series chip for gaming would launch the "other" category closer to iPhone revenue.

if they launch new Watch, AirPods, AppleTV this holiday it's gonna be a nice holiday for "other". 
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 20
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Yes Sog and fwiw today’s report on Apple's earnings broke it down as such: 

"Apple Watch (est $4.7bn LTM revs)+ Beats (est $500mn) + Airpods (~200mn although supply constrained) are as large as a Fortune 500 company ($5bn)." 

LTM = last twelve months

No idea how strong is their clairvoyance for $5.4 B estimate

• Reply 17 of 20
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Someone tell the good folks at thememo dot com. They raved about 60,000 TAGs but not the millions (and millions) of Apple Watches. 

https://www.thememo.com/2017/03/21/tag-heuer-connected-designer-explains-why-smartwatches-failed/
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 20
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Oops... the $5.4B estimate (above) is by Bank of America/Merrill Lynch (who kept BUY and $155 target)

Lots of accounting tables in their pages, so maybe $5.4B estimate by reverse engineering and more credible. And just the components fuzzy.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    cali said:
    Watch 3 and a new AppleTV with a proprietary A-series chip for gaming would launch the "other" category closer to iPhone revenue.

if they launch new Watch, AirPods, AppleTV this holiday it's gonna be a nice holiday for "other". 
    New products in all those categories would certainly push "other" to a record.  However, they would be an order of magnitude less than iPhone still.  It is early days though.

AppleTV is simply not going to move the needle much in the near term (next couple of years), no matter what Apple does to update it.  I saw some estimates that the installed base of active units is around 25M.  Apple Watch has probably sold more, for higher ASP, and much higher profit.  In terms of gaming, they could certainly do a better job & make this incrementally better to improve the "reasons to buy" ATV - but they are not going to get substantial incremental share in gaming.  We are in the middle of the "top tier" gaming refresh with Xbox One and PS4 dominating, followed after by Nintendo.  Casual gaming has tended to move to mobile, where Apple is already a leader.  The effort to try and break into that top tier at this point in the cycle isn't worth it.  Someone looking to enter needs to target the "disruption point" - the next cycle (which is likely VR/AR based with 4K/8K resolution).  However, I am not sure Apple has enough interest in this space to do so.

As a side note, Apple already sells more premium "video viewing devices" than any other vendor - 250Mish iPhone & iPads.  Look around at the young people, and you will see most video consumed is on these devices.  Even us older folks are changing - I watch some TV/movies on my iPad every week.  That is why Apple is focusing on the broader iOS devices for their "TV / video" initiatives.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Apple has always been good at marketing their products, so it doesn't surprise me that they're able to sell their new products so well. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of their products simply because the majority of their hardware doesn't suffice up to the quality of normal hardware that can be found alternatively. I've found, for example, that normal tablets often have the same hardware (if not better) than the average iPad. 

https://newspuddle.com/apple-makes-more-revenue-through-services-than-airpods-apple-tv-watch-and-ipads-sales-combined/