'Hulu With Live TV' service and streaming app launches on iPhone, iPad

Posted:
in iPhone
Hulu has launched its rumored "Hulu with Live TV" service with an app debuting on the iOS App Store, offering live streaming access to major television networks -- but similar to the early DirecTV launch, the service is labeled as beta.

The service, announced on Wednesday, will cost $43.99 per month without commercials and $39.99 with, and allows users to watch live TV on iOS or the fourth generation Apple TV. Subscribers will be able to stream on two screens at a time, and have 50 hours of DVR storage in the cloud.

Hulu subscribers with Live TV have access to the entire Hulu streaming library, 50 live and on-demand channels, and thousands of on-demand titles associated with the streaming channels. Live channels include ABC, CBS, ESPN, FOX, FX, NBCSN, FS1, History Channel, TNT, and others.

Local ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC broadcast networks are available in L.A., New York, San Francisco, Philadelphia and Chicago. Other networks will have gaps, reminiscent of the absent channels on the DirecTV Now streaming service.

Add-on services are available, at extra cost. The limit on screens in one house can be boosted to unlimited or 200 hours of DVR programming with commercial-skipping can be added for $14.99 a month per addition. If both are purchased, the combined fee is $19.98, a $10 bundle savings.

The Hulu with Live TV app itself is free. It requires 84.1MB of device storage on the iPhone or iPad, and requires iOS 10.0 or newer. As of 10:00 a.m. eastern time, the Apple TV app is not yet available.

Viewing is possible on the Xbox One, and on Android-based devices including the Chromecast. Hulu says that it will add the Amazon Fire TV, and Roku at a later time.
Megiselle

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    Hello? Apple? Anyone at Apple? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? 
    oneof52john.b
  • Reply 2 of 10
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    HuluTV = ripoff
  • Reply 3 of 10
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    Hulu package looks similar to other 4 TV channels streaming services who has bundled cable TV channels into steaming packages. For a change, Hulu should have offered their 50 channels base package at $25. Than, offer add-on like $5 Hulu catalog, $5 DVR and $5 over 2 streams,etc. It can be very disruptive if Apple can somehow offer $40 for 30-40 channels of build your own package from the available 100s of channels catalog.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 4 of 10
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Hulu subscribers with Live TV have access to the entire Hulu streaming library, 50 live and on-demand channels, and thousands of on-demand titles associated with the streaming channels. Live channels include ABC, CBS, ESPN, FOX, FX, NBCSN, FS1, History Channel, TNT, and others.

I am unclear how this differs from a regular cable package in a way that benefits the end user. Sure, the interface may be a little better, I won't need a cable box, and the remote is smaller, but other than that? Most Cable Co's allow some streaming to subscribers and this seems to be growing all the time. In fact, its almost as if through my cable provider I have more granular control over which stations I get. So much for cutting the cord.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 10
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    I'm seriously considering doing this next week. Does anyone know for sure if I'll be able to Formula One on Hulu/NBC Sports?

Finally Formula One on my Apple TV! Yippeee!

Can't wait to see Apple's offerings.

Best.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Never been a fan of Hulu and most certainly would prefer to see Apple offering a package instead. But to be able to watch thru my AppleTV (no cable box, no sad cable interface) and be able to cancel say after the FI Season (of when Apple offers something similar) seems pretty good. 

I've been a cord cutter for almost 15 years. I'll not give another single dollar to Cox Cable...what a horrible, overpriced company. Just terrible. So stuck in the 90's! :)
  • Reply 7 of 10
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Hulu's on-demand app for Apple TV still doesn't support user profiles, even though their iOS apps do (and it's the same app).
  • Reply 8 of 10
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,300member
    No Playboy Channel?
    Forget it.
    ;) 
  • Reply 9 of 10
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Forget the live TV -- the updated Hulu Apple TV app released a couple of days ago is awful! The font sized used for descriptions is way too small. I have a 46" TV in a small bedroom and 20/20 vision and can barely read it.