Sen. Feinstein claims FBI paid $900K to crack San Bernardino shooter's iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone
The FBI paid approximately $900,000 to a third party to help break into the iPhone 5c of San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook, U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein said recently when questioning FBI director James Comey at a Senate Judiciary Committee oversight hearing.

"I was so struck when San Bernardino happened and you made overtures to allow that device to be opened, and then the FBI had to spend $900,000 to hack it open," Feinstein commented, according to CNBC. "And as I subsequently learned of some of the reason for it, there were good reasons to get into that device."

Comey and the FBI have been infamously cagey about how much was paid for the hack, although Comey once suggested that it cost more than he would earn in his remaining time with the FBI -- at least $1.3 million. News organizations have in fact had to pursue legal action to secure basic details, including not just price but who the third party was.

That outfit is typically thought to be Israel's Cellebrite, though the company has remained mum on the issue.

Before it succeeded with a third party, the FBI and the Justice Department were seeking to make Apple build a software workaround, something Apple complained was tantamount to a backdoor that would fundamentally compromise the security of iOS.

Government officials in the U.S. and abroad have complained that the strong encryption used on platforms like iOS and iMessage is causing the internet to "go dark" to police and spy agencies. Opposition has come from Apple and other parties arguing for encryption as a privacy and security safeguard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    Senator Feinstein is no stranger to seeking to violate Constitutional limits, so this is no surprise at all.
    lostkiwiSpamSandwichtallest skil
  • Reply 2 of 26
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    What a worthless expense.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Wasn't that an illegal disclosure of classified information by her?
    tallest skil
  • Reply 4 of 26
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Soli said:
    Just pocket change compared to Trump's weekend visits to Mar Lago - $3.6 million each.
    StrangeDaysstevenozdoozydozenlostkiwiRedryder1pscooter63watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 5 of 26
    spacekidspacekid Posts: 183member
    volcan said:
    Soli said:
    Just pocket change compared to Trump's weekend visits to Mar Lago - $3.6 million each.
    Actually that's likely an inflated price based on an Obama 4 day trip to Chicago and Palm Beach in 2013 http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/apr/18/center-american-progress-action-fund/how-much-do-donald-trumps-trips-mar-lago-cost/

maciekskontaktmwhitetallest skil
  • Reply 6 of 26
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    Congratulations to Betty Jones and her St. Vincent 5th grade classmates on their 900k windfall!

doozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 26
    bitmod said:
    Congratulations to Betty Jones and her St. Vincent 5th grade classmates on their 900k windfall!

I think you have the wrong thread.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Not necessarily. The hearings aren't all classified, only those held in secure areas and identified as classified. Those hearings can only be attended by congress members who have clearances and I hope they aren't simply passed out like bus tokens. 
  • Reply 9 of 26
    rob53 said:
    Not necessarily. The hearings aren't all classified, only those held in secure areas and identified as classified. Those hearings can only be attended by congress members who have clearances and I hope they aren't simply passed out like bus tokens. 
    I'm referring to the specific amount they paid to crack the iPhone. She either wittingly or unwittingly divulged a detail that was not previously known. Until proven otherwise, I believe she did not have authorization to say what she said.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    rob53 said:
    I'm referring to the specific amount they paid to crack the iPhone. She either wittingly or unwittingly divulged a detail that was not previously known. Until proven otherwise, I believe she did not have authorization to say what she said.
    Just like Comey didn't have authorization to disclose information about Hillary's email a couple days before the election. Politicians seem to get away with everything. 
    doozydozenpscooter63SpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 26
    rob53 said:
    rob53 said:
    Just like Comey didn't have authorization to disclose information about Hillary's email a couple days before the election. Politicians seem to get away with everything. 
    He didn't need authorization. You really have no idea what you're writing about.
    mwhitetallest skil
  • Reply 12 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    And you never, ever hear anything remotely similar in the Android world about a government agency trying to break into one of its trash phones.

That pretty much says enough about the lack of security Android phones have.
    lostkiwipscooter63volcanargonaut
  • Reply 13 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    rob53 said:
    Something being undisclosed isn't the same as being classified, restricted, top secret, etc. Without more information none of us are remotely in a position to know that. 
    edited May 2017 Solidoozydozenpscooter63
  • Reply 14 of 26
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    sflocal said:
    And you never, ever hear anything remotely similar in the Android world about a government agency trying to break into one of its trash phones.

That pretty much says enough about the lack of security Android phones have.
    It's kind of difficult to break into a Samsung phone when they explode. 
    lostkiwiargonaut
  • Reply 15 of 26
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    rob53 said:
    Right or wrong, he didn't need any authorization or permission.
    SpamSandwichtallest skil
  • Reply 16 of 26
    maciekskontaktmaciekskontakt Posts: 1,169member
    volcan said:
    Soli said:
    I am not sure if you understand difference: FBI expense is from out pockets. Mr. Trump can afford it from his own pocket. He does not charge our pockets nearly as previous president. And also do not forget that Mrs. Feinstein is not President of the Uniteted States so your comparison is quite misplaced. Have some reason and respect.
    edited May 2017 mwhiteSpamSandwich
  • Reply 17 of 26
    maciekskontakt said:
    Mr. Trump can afford it from his own pocket. He does not charge our pockets nearly as previous president. 
    I think if you follow the link in @Spacekid post 5 you might discover what the actual travel costs are. Trump is not paying a dime of his expenses, especially since it is questionable if he even pays taxes. Hell, he probably charges the government for the hotel room, green fees and his diner tab even though he owns the resort.

I think I read that Trump is on course to rack up more travel fees in his first year than Obama did in the entire two terms as president.
    edited May 2017 Solidoozydozenlostkiwiargonaut
  • Reply 18 of 26
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    volcan said:
    Soli said:
    Mr. Trump can afford it from his own pocket.
    LOL I love your blind faith which gets you to say that he can afford it which in your mind means he's paying for it. The entire scam is about profiting off the people and you're one of the people that are letting him get away with it.

And it's not just about saving money on travel expenses, it's about being able to raise the cost of all his failing endeavours across the board so he can make more money off actual taxpayers. Gov't employees have to reside and eat at Mar-a-lago because he's there. Same goes for Trump Tower, which is the real reason why Melania is staying in NY. 

You know he's taking his POTUS payments, even after he said he wouldn't, right? You were duped.
    montrosemacsdoozydozenlostkiwipscooter63Redryder1argonaut
  • Reply 19 of 26
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    Soli said:
    volcan said:
    Soli said:
    Mr. Trump can afford it from his own pocket.
    LOL I love your blind faith which gets you to say that he can afford it which in your mind means he's paying for it. The entire scam is about profiting off the people and you're one of the people that are letting him get away with it.

And it's not just about saving money on travel expenses, it's about being able to raise the cost of all his failing endeavours across the board so he can make more money off actual taxpayers. Gov't employees have to reside and eat at Mar-a-lago because he's there. Same goes for Trump Tower, which is the real reason why Melania is staying in NY. 

You know he's taking his POTUS payments, even after he said he wouldn't, right? You were duped.
    And you know this how??? I don't trust fake news.
    edited May 2017 doozydozenpscooter63argonaut
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Soli said:
     Same goes for Trump Tower, which is the real reason why Melania is staying in NY. 
    They said that they have found a good school in DC for Baron. Melania will certainly be moving to the White House. Even so, Trump Tower is one of his official residences so the Secret Service will remain on duty regardless if Melania and Baron are there or not just like the White House doesn't shut down when Trump is in Florida where I would imagine there is also probably full time security at least in Trump's suite.
    edited May 2017 mwhite