Holy Friggin' Christ: Gashes in my TiBook's screen (YAY, PROBLEM SOLVED!) :-D

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've had my new PowerBook for a week and a day. I came home this morning and I found these huge gashes in my LCD, in the exact unmistakable shape and pattern of the keyboard. In my carry bag, I have this computer in one "pocket" (it's a zippered compartment) and my notebook (of the handwriting variety) in another. Is the weight from that thing enough to concave the titanium display into the keyboard? I thought Steve said it was stronger than steel! This $3399 notebook should have SUPERIOR DESIGN! Especially coming from Apple. God damn, I'm so pissed. These scratches are EXTREMELY annoying on any white or gray surfaces (it's particularly noticeable on these forums).

What should I do?

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: Steve ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    If I were you I'd be spending the day in a huff followed by a sleepless night...

Titanium is stronger than steel, but it's also more flexible. I guess the keyboard is seated correctly?

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Did you pick it up at a retail outlet or did you order it online?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    are you sure they are not grease marks from the keyboard and not scratches? because I get those all the time, all i do is clean the screen an it is fine
  • Reply 4 of 8
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    [quote]Originally posted by trailmaster308:

<strong>Did you pick it up at a retail outlet or did you order it online?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I ordered it from Apple. The tax burned, badly.

No, I don't think they are grease marks. Anyway, how might go about cleaning this LCD, just incase this is the problem? Aren't these things super-sensitive? Should I just use water?

Oh, and the keyboard is perfectly fit.

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: Steve ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 8
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    Pinched off the web:

Dirt and finger prints can cause the computer screen to be difficult to read.

Procedure: Unlike a computer monitor the LCD is not made of glass therefore requires special cleaning procedures.

When cleaning the LCD screen it is important to remember to not spray any liquids onto the LCD directly, do not use a paper towel as it can cause the LCD to become scratched.

To clean the LCD screen we recommend that you use a soft cotton cloth. If a dry cloth does not completely clean the screen you can use slight moisture .

Guidelines from Apple Computer:

To clean your PowerBook screen, do the following:

With your PowerBook shut down, dampen a clean, soft, lint-free cloth or paper with water only and wipe the screen. Do not spray liquid directly on the screen.

Note: You can also use diluted (at least 50%) isopropyl alcohol. Most office supply stores sell cleaning kits specifically designed for this purpose.

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 8
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Whew, that did it! :eek:

I was ready to storm California myself, there for a second.

Thanks for the help, my friends...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    The machine comes from apple with a piece of foam rubber in between. The marks are caused when you:

A) don't have something between the keyboard and screen and

B) put the book upside down and jiggle it around.

It's not the titanium flexing. Titanium is stronger than steel AND, in fact, much less flexible and malleble. The problem is the hinge and the design factor. It's only one inch thick.

Bummer. I've seen this happen on everything from Lombards on, so I made sure to keep the foam pad when I got my PBG4 almost two years ago. The screen has remained flawless.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    There are a number of products designed for this purpose that you can buy online...though I can't remember any of the websites.