Apple phasing out iPad mini in light of low sales, Plus-sized iPhones - report

Posted:
in iPad
Apple is reportedly planning to phase the iPad mini out of its lineup, which may make the Mini 4 -- released in 2015 -- the last of its kind.

There's been "fierce cannibalism of our own products," and the Mini has been "sized out of its own category," an alleged Apple source told BGR. The device's weakening sales have been "very clear," the person noted.

Unmentioned, however, was whether Apple will keep selling the Mini 4 for a while or if it plans to axe the device entirely in the next few months.

In terms of cannibalized sales, the main culprits are thought to be the 5.5-inch Plus versions of the iPhone. While the Mini 4 has a bigger screen at 7.9 inches, it may not make much sense to get one given that a Plus can also serve as a phone.

Apple also recently launched a 9.7-inch "budget" iPad, which is not only cheaper than the Mini 4 at $329, but has a faster A9 processor. The Mini 4 is still equipped with an A8.

The company is expected to refresh the 12.9-inch iPad Pro sometime this year, and moreover launch a new 10.5-inch Pro with thinner bezels. The hardware could be announced as soon as Apple's WWDC 2017 keynote on June 5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,052member
    That's disappointing. I like my goldilocks sized mini.
    bdkennedy1002wlymalbegarcwozwozgordoncydouglas baileyargonaut[Deleted User]
  • Reply 2 of 102

Unmentioned, however, was whether Apple will keep selling the Mini 4 for a while or if it plans to axe the device entirely in the next few months.

Right. Unmentioned. The alleged source tells us what we already know, what anyone can know from looking at the comparative attention paid to the mini, but doesn't actually say anything about its fate.

K.
    edited May 2017 radarthekatavon b7
  • Reply 3 of 102
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Sales are down not due to the plus size phone but due to the lack of updates to the mini.  

I'd like an updated mini (and I have a plus size phone).   An iPad mini is a much different device than a plus size phone.  
    albegarcwozwozgordoncycincyteeargonautGeorgeBMacavon b7
  • Reply 4 of 102
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    So 10" was a better tablet size all along? And for those who say tablets are dying it's worth pointing out Apple's tablets are outselling their Macs 2-1. With some OS improvements for iPad and better pricing for the pro model, I think iPad sales numbers could pick up steam again. Further, Apple should take a much lower percent depending the total cost of the app or subscription to incentivise guys like Adobe to go all-in on iPad. Where apps that cost hundreds per year or up front, Apple would take perhaps 5 or 10% off the top—this is how you convince Adobe to bring the full version of PS to App Store. It's apps like this that give the device more power and give people the impression of iPad as a full computer.
    edited May 2017 vukasikaalbegarctmayHerbivore2
  • Reply 5 of 102
    joe28753joe28753 Posts: 82member
    I know I'm probably in the minority, but I think there's a place for both large iPhones and small iPads. I use both of mine all the time for different purposes. Sure my iPhone Plus size has a large screen, but I can't run full iPad apps on it. And I can't really use an iPad as a phone. Well you can link it to your account in ways, but not use as a sole phone. My mini iPad fits perfectly on the tank bag of my motorcycle, so I use it as my map when I ride. I also use it as my coffee table browser, and my recipe holder in the kitchen. I can't imagine using a larger iPad or an iPhone for those things. Maybe it's just me. 
    macplusplusdedgeckoStrangeDayslorin schultzargonaut
  • Reply 6 of 102
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    I've said this all along and some didn't want to believe me. The iPad mini is on its way out. Its not necessary anymore. I'm know there are some who loved it and live by it everyday, but not for the masses. 
    jbishop1039
  • Reply 7 of 102
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I think the low sales has to do with people not upgrading since iPad's will last a while. I'm still using the original mini and have no reason to upgrade since it still works great for my needs.
    albegarcgordoncycincyteeargonaut
  • Reply 8 of 102
    chadbag said:
    Sales are down not due to the plus size phone but due to the lack of updates to the mini.  

I'd like an updated mini (and I have a plus size phone).   An iPad mini is a much different device than a plus size phone.  
    Or maybe its because most don't want an iPad mini. I know it sounds like a lot do, but thats because it only takes a few people to make a loud ruckus over it to make it seem like everyone wants one. Apple knows more than we do what sells and what doesn't. We went through the same thing with the 17" MacBook Pro and still do today. 
    Rayz2016StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 102
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    I like the Mini and just bought another one last week.  
    albegarc
  • Reply 10 of 102
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    Damn, I really like my iPad Mini. I don't want a giant phone and the larger iPad is too big for my needs.
    wozwozgordoncywillcropointcincyteeargonaut
  • Reply 11 of 102
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    I wish Apple continued and updated the mini.  My wife has wrist problems and holding a full size iPad is not an option, while the large iPhone Plus is still too small for serious reading etc.  

I hope the rumor is false since this has been my go to gift for my little nephews and nieces as well as my wife.  Unfortunately there has been little upgrade in going on towards 2.5 years.
    argonaut
  • Reply 12 of 102
    vukasikavukasika Posts: 102member
    If I could get a mini "Pro". I could pretty much ditch a phone entirely. Would also be a death stomp to the Galaxy Note series too in my opinion.
  • Reply 13 of 102
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    joe28753 said:
    I know I'm probably in the minority, but I think there's a place for both large iPhones and small iPads. I use both of mine all the time for different purposes.
    I suspect the point of the article tells us you are in the minority. At a certain point making a mini iPad no longer makes sense. Plus size phones are becoming so popular now I'd say very few people want to own an iPad mini and if they are thinking about acquire an iPad they are looking toward an iPad Pro—if only the price went down a little.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 14 of 102
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    That would be another dumb decision by post-Steve Apple. As other have commented, sales are down not due to the plus size phone but due to the lack of updates to the mini ... not to mention the high pricing, and thick form factor that has not been updated for more than 2 years.
    GeorgeBMacavon b7
  • Reply 15 of 102
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    That's too bad. My iPhone 6S+ is too small to use as the interface for my quadcopter. My iPad is too large to fit on the remote. The iPad mini is perfect.
    argonaut
  • Reply 16 of 102
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    macxpress said:
    I've said this all along and some didn't want to believe me. The iPad mini is on its way out. Its not necessary anymore. I'm know there are some who loved it and live by it everyday, but not for the masses. 
    If that were the case, wouldn't larger iPads be the most common in the wild? They're not, not even close. I absolutely believe that Apple is trying to push the market toward larger devices, as that is good for making a more serious market for "creation" apps. I do not believe consumers are going that way.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 17 of 102
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,273member
    I do see quite a few Minis in the wild in commercial applications as POS devices/cash registers etc. I would think there would also be some demand with the non-consumer apps being developed by IBM, SAP etc. Maybe it's just a rethinking of the form factor.
  • Reply 18 of 102
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    chadbag said:

There is absolutely no evidence for this.  What we do have is growth in larger phones and shrinkages in iPad Minis happening at the same time, so at least some "correlation".  Based on commentary provided by Apple on the latest earnings call, the sales for larger iPads grew (in some markets - maybe just North America).  This while (at the time) the larger 9.7" iPad had not been updated in two years itself.

There has been very little change to the (non-pro) iPad lines for some time, yet per some evidence and analysis, it is the Mini which declined the most.  Lack of updates might have had a minor impact for "those that watch such things" (a minority), it does not come close to explaining the decline in overall iPads, lead by the Mini.

Of course some people still prefer the Mini to a 9.7", but that is clearly becoming a small minority.  I had a Mini (original), but when the Air 2 came out, I went to it because it was thin & light enough.  I much prefer the thin & light iPad 9.7" since the Air came out, to the Minis.  I can't put either one in a pocket, so the bigger real estate is the winner.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 19 of 102
    Eric_WVGG said:
    macxpress said:
    If that were the case, wouldn't larger iPads be the most common in the wild? They're not, not even close. I absolutely believe that Apple is trying to push the market toward larger devices, as that is good for making a more serious market for "creation" apps. I do not believe consumers are going that way.
    Again, Apple knows which products it offers sell and which ones don't. They know far more than anyone here. Maybe you see more mini's in our area, but thats an extremely small sample size versus the rest of the world. 
    StrangeDaysmike1
  • Reply 20 of 102
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 803member
    Besides my personal preference for or against the Mini, this seems surprising. The vast majority of people really use an iPad only for reading, videos, and FaceTime. I know many will shout that it is a productivity device, but honestly, I just don't see anyone using them that way. Most use them for consumption (maybe emails).

And for consumption, I would assume that a lot of people prefer the smaller size of the Mini, it seems a lot better for book, news, and even videos on a plane.

At our home, the 9.7 is a sofa /day device, the Mini is a bedroom device. I can't imagine reading a book on the 9.7 in bed, and my 6S is too small. Maybe Apple is conceding books to the Kindle?
    GeorgeBMacdasanman69frankeed