AIRPORT questions...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I own an ibook 600 and a beige g3 powermac.

I have the following questions regarding airport that I would love to see answered.

1) what is the difference between airport 1 and 2? should I NOT covet an airport 1 if I can get it at a reasonable price, or is there no problem?

2) does airport act well as full-blown DSL router?

3) can I succesfully use to following setup: ethernet modem in base station, beige g3 connected via ethernet cable, ibook via airport card?

4) will I be able to use appletalk between the two comps?

I you could all add your two cents, I'd be delighted. I anybody has an airport they can push me, PM me, I'm interested.

(oh, for the record, ibook = 10.2.1, beige = 9.2.2)

[ 10-25-2002: Message edited by: der Kopf ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Forgot to ask: will I be able to physically connect my (ether)network printer too, and use it from both comps?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by der Kopf:

<strong>I own an ibook 600 and a beige g3 powermac.

I have the following questions regarding airport that I would love to see answered.

1) what is the difference between airport 1 and 2? should I NOT covet an airport 1 if I can get it at a reasonable price, or is there no problem?

2) does airport act well as full-blown DSL router?

3) can I succesfully use to following setup: ethernet modem in base station, beige g3 connected via ethernet cable, ibook via airport card?

4) will I be able to use appletalk between the two comps?

I you could all add your two cents, I'd be delighted. I anybody has an airport they can push me, PM me, I'm interested.

(oh, for the record, ibook = 10.2.1, beige = 9.2.2)

[ 10-25-2002: Message edited by: der Kopf ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

1) I have the 2nd Version of Airport and it works awesome with an ibook. I would not recommend getting the 1st version.

2) works excelent as a router..thats what its designed for.

3) Yes, connect your g3 to the LAN port and the ethernet modem to the WAN and user wireless for the ibook. I have same setup except I have ibook and iMac 800. For the ethernet printer you will have to get a hub if your connecting with Cat 5 cable.

4) Yes you can use apple talk between the two, but why?

[ 10-25-2002: Message edited by: trailmaster308 ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 11
    just a thought: you could save the money for the hub and put it towards another airport card for the g3. You can plug the printer into the airport base station.

This gives you a touch more flexability on where to position your computers. Dunno if the extra cost is worth it to you but once you get a taste of wireless you start to despise anything that holds you back.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by stupider...likeafox:

<strong>just a thought: you could save the money for the hub and put it towards another airport card for the g3. You can plug the printer into the airport base station.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think the cost isn't that different maybe, but the thing is: I have a 4-port ethernet hub good 'n ready here, which I forgot to mention, and furthermore, I don't plan on moving this massive beige G3 with old 17 inch CRT (weighing, approximetely 6 ton...) ever.

It's just so: I'm thinking of whether I should buy the airport config, which will put me back for some 550 euros, or if I should buy a little router and an ethernet cable of some 30 to 40 meter (~ yards), cuz that's the distance between the two. (this costing about 150 euros).

I do like the complete independence with Airport, and I know it's a thing which, if I don't break it, I will carry around for a long time, so it might be worth the money, but still...

anyway, you're sure you can hook up a hub to the airport and access the stuff at that hub from wirelessly connected comps?
  • Reply 5 of 11

<strong>

I think the cost isn't that different maybe, but the thing is: I have a 4-port ethernet hub good 'n ready here, which I forgot to mention, and furthermore, I don't plan on moving this massive beige G3 with old 17 inch CRT (weighing, approximetely 6 ton...) ever.

It's just so: I'm thinking of whether I should buy the airport config, which will put me back for some 550 euros, or if I should buy a little router and an ethernet cable of some 30 to 40 meter (~ yards), cuz that's the distance between the two. (this costing about 150 euros).

I do like the complete independence with Airport, and I know it's a thing which, if I don't break it, I will carry around for a long time, so it might be worth the money, but still...

anyway, you're sure you can hook up a hub to the airport and access the stuff at that hub from wirelessly connected comps?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You do not need to buy the Airport in order to network wirelessly [is that a word?]. Any wireless 802.11b router will do the same and some will argue that it does it better. The Airport will cost you a lot of money and is way overpriced. The only reason I bought mine is because I liked how it matched my equipment. Here at work I use my ibook, which has a airport card, to connect to our cicso wireless access points. Its all the same technology, just apple made it really cool looking. So if you want to save money. Go buy you a wireless router, one port since you already have the hub, and set it up. Its really easy. Plus lots of help if you need it is waiting on the forum.

• Reply 6 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by trailmaster308:

<strong>

You do not need to buy the Airport in order to network wirelessly [is that a word?]. Any wireless 802.11b router will do the same and some will argue that it does it better. The Airport will cost you a lot of money and is way overpriced. The only reason I bought mine is because I liked how it matched my equipment. Here at work I use my ibook, which has a airport card, to connect to our cicso wireless access points. Its all the same technology, just apple made it really cool looking. So if you want to save money. Go buy you a wireless router, one port since you already have the hub, and set it up. Its really easy. Plus lots of help if you need it is waiting on the forum.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Connect cable/dsl modem to WAN port on router. Then connect LAN port to hub. Then connect "BIG" G3 to open port on hub. Then connect printer to open port on hub. Then laptop is wireless. Then proceed to sit your butt on the couch and surf and print.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Do not buy Airport v.1 MANY problems with that base station, lots of dead ones.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    [quote]Originally posted by trailmaster308:

<strong>

You do not need to buy the Airport in order to network wirelessly. Any wireless 802.11b router will do the same and some will argue that it does it better.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Side note: Some 802.11 hubs don't support the Appletalk protocal. A workaround is to select "Allow file sharing clients to connect over TCP/IP" in OS 9, but ealier versions ( &lt; OS 9) can't connect.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I'll look into other wireless possibilities.

I'm just a bit afraid that often, you do something to save some money, and you end up paying more because of various shit you get to cope with.

So, just a quick Q: are there any wireless possibilities you know of that integrate so well with the ibook (i.e. card beneath keyboard)? Even more so since, last time I checked, my little 'book here has no pcmcia slot (I sometimes can get upset with apple).
  • Reply 10 of 11

<strong>I'll look into other wireless possibilities.

I'm just a bit afraid that often, you do something to save some money, and you end up paying more because of various shit you get to cope with.

So, just a quick Q: are there any wireless possibilities you know of that integrate so well with the ibook (i.e. card beneath keyboard)? Even more so since, last time I checked, my little 'book here has no pcmcia slot (I sometimes can get upset with apple).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't know of any other companies that make a wireless card for the ibook. Don't skimp here, go ahead and by the airport card from macmall or some other place. Just don't waster your money on the base station though unless you just really want the cool looks.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I'm as of now officially looking to get myself the following setup:

Airport Card in iBook

Linksys Wireless router with 4-port ethernet switch built-in (model n° BEFW11S4 --- just in case the wireless isn't as good, and better for my printer and beige boy).

The thing is about 130 bucks in the states, 210, incl vat over here - less than half of apple's own - and is reported on the Apple discussions board to work like a charm with airport.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Edit: Oh, and any experienced users with this (or similar) setups, I'd love to hear them.

[ 10-27-2002: Message edited by: der Kopf ]</p>