Steve Jobs wanted Jeff Goldblum to be 'voice of Apple'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2017
In a recent interview, prolific actor Jeff Goldblum, best known for his work in movies like Jurassic Park and The Fly, revealed Apple cofounder Steve Jobs personally reached out many years ago to be "the voice of Apple."

Goldblum's contact with Jobs was mentioned in passing during an interview on the Today Show in Australia, reports ZDNet.

"Steve Jobs called me up a few decades ago to be the voice of Apple" Goldblum said. "That was early on, and I did not know it was Steve Jobs."

Whether that call came before or after Goldblum's run in a series of late-90s "Think Different" ads marketing iMac and iBook is unclear.

Goldblum failed to present a more detailed timeline of events that led up to the phone call, but the actor, who has been in show business since the 70s, hit something of a renaissance in the 90s with roles in the "Jurassic Park" series and "Independence Day." It is possible that Jobs was looking to expand Goldblum's role beyond the ad series.

ZDNet speculates Golblum might have made his way into Siri, but Apple purchased the firm behind the virtual assistant in 2010, presumably a decade after the encounter. More likely, Jobs perhaps wanted Goldblum to lend his voice and likeness to campaigns advertising other products, or Apple as a whole.

According to the report, Goldblum was in Australia to promote Menulog, a food ordering app similar to DoorDash and Seamless.

Interestingly, Goldblum recently channeled his inner Jobs in a fairly long-running commercial series for Apartments.com. In the ads, Goldblum plays the role of quirky futurist "Brad Bellflower," who always wears black turtlenecks (with jacket) and a head-mounted microphone while helping apartment owners and renters find each other through the company's matchmaking service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Of course, he did do a bunch of ads for Apple around the release of the iMac and iBook, back in the 90s. Do we know if it was then or possibly earlier, back in the early 80s?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 37
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Jobs was a brilliant man with the ability to hit targets no one else could see, but let's be honest, he had his fair share of bad ideas.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    Goldblum DID voiceovers for Mac commercials when the iMac was introduced. 

watto_cobraargonautboredumbalmondroca
  • Reply 4 of 37
    arthur greenwald said:

And iBook, et al. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 37
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Ive has become the voice of Apple 
    Solicalitallest skilcornchip
  • Reply 6 of 37
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    He certainly was for a long time but I don't recall him in a video during the last big event. Would he still be the voice of Apple? Would Tim Cook? Can Siri be included in this "voice of" designation?
  • Reply 7 of 37
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Must go faster... must go faster...

:)
    kamiltonSpamSandwichxzu
  • Reply 8 of 37
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Jobs and Goldblum looked alike a bit.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 37
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    How awesome would it be if Siri had Jeff Goldblum's voice? Oh man I love his stuttered way of speaking
    VernonDozierwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 37
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,704member
    *WHEW!*

Bullet dodged...
    pigybankcornchip
  • Reply 11 of 37
    From what I saw in interviews, Susan Bennet was originally hired by either Lucent Technologies (now Nokia BellLabs) or Avaya to annunciate virtually every vowel/consonant combination and sometimes multiple annunciations and even happy/sad/sarcastic tones in the English language.  These recordings were originally made for PBX systems.  

In that interview, Susan said it was painstaking work; with over 4,000 hours of audio recorded and catalogued.  However, BellLabs was able to study and research text-to-speech using a living person's voices.  Imainge that job..!

In the end, it was easier for Avaya/BellLabs to develop call path routing, and hire a voice actor to create 20 (or more) voice prompts.  It was actually the Siri company that apple acquired that found the BellLabs work useful in the modern age of computing.  

PBXes and phone tree menus reverted back to something similar to when you call 1-800-MY-APPLE to ask for any type of customer service after the sale.   As an example, "Hi, I'm an automated system that can understand full sentences to route you to the most expensive customer service Rep.  So, how much money do you have in your purse today?" Or "Your purse seems a little heavy, why don't you come into an Apple Store and lighten it".  These are PBX phone tree prompt Jeff Goldblum wouldn't have desired to be credited with.  But crediting him as a potential Siri Voice is misplaced.  That would have been Nokia BellLabs' decision.  😀

Soli
  • Reply 12 of 37
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    There is no step three!!
    randominternetpersonStrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 37
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    lepton said:
    There is no step three!!
    Surely you had to turn the iMac on?
  • Reply 14 of 37
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Soli said:
    Jobs was a brilliant man with the ability to hit targets no one else could see, but let's be honest, he had his fair share of bad ideas.
    He sure did (iPod socks?), but wanting to use Jeff Goldblum for voice work is definitely not one of them.
    SpamSandwichStrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 37
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    "Steve Jobs called me up a few decades ago to be the voice of Apple" Goldblum said. "That was early on, and I did not know it was Steve Jobs."

Jobs: "Hi Jeff, I want you to be the voice of Apple."
    Goldblum: "Who is this?"

*click*
    SpamSandwichStrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 37
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    foljs said:
    Soli said:
    He sure did (iPod socks?), but wanting to use Jeff Goldblum for voice work is definitely not one of them.
    iPod socks were awesome!! Why does everyone pretend they were a bad idea?
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    How awesome would it be if Siri had Jeff Goldblum's voice? Oh man I love his stuttered way of speaking
    You need to take the next … shoot … wait … oh this could be bad … ah … wait … okay … no, it's okay, I really got this now. You need to take the next left. Did I mean left? Oh shoot, you missed it! Hey, problem solved: we're going straight on. 
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 18 of 37
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Thanks for the clip - I've always loved that ad.
    I think it's almost as good a fundamental Apple mantra
    as "think 'different'"...or at least, it was then.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    irnchriz said:
    lepton said:
    There is no step three!!
    Surely you had to turn the iMac on?
    In USA, iMac turns YOU on!   https://youtu.be/YHzM4avGrKI
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 20 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Xerox creates GUI, Apple buys GUI, Apple redesigns GUI, Microsoft steals GUI, Apple sues Microsoft, Microsoft gets humiliated…

"Microsoft… sells out. Google inherits the web."

*Gates and Jobs look over at Sergey in disgust*