iPhone messaging app Signal wins approval for use by U.S. Senate staffers

Posted:
in iPhone
The U.S. Senate has quietly approved Signal, an encrypted messaging app for iPhone and Android, for use by the government body's staff.

The change was noted in a letter by Oregon Senator Ron Wyden to Sergeant at Arms Frank Larkin, mostly remarking on the transition of the Senate to HTTPS encryption across all its websites. Wyden has regularly promoted digital privacy causes.

Signal, by Open Whisper Systems, uses end-to-end encryption for messages, as well as voice and video calls. That makes it largely impervious to snooping by hackers, police, or spy agencies, whether foreign or domestic. The app is in fact one of the few endorsed by former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden, who helped expose the NSA's mass surveillance programs in 2013, including collusion by some U.S. technology firms.

It's also free and open-source, making it possible for outside experts to scrutinize its security.

The Senate's use of Signal could raise legal issues around recordkeeping. Indeed at the Presidential level, some aides to President Trump have reportedly used Signal, which runs the risk of violating the Presidential Records Act.

Although it can sometimes provide data when served with a warrant or national security letter, Apple has been a strong proponent of encryption. Both iMessage and FaceTime use end-to-end encryption, for instance, and since iOS 8 Apple has enabled full-disk encryption on iPhones and iPads. This has led to run-ins with U.S. government and politicians, most notably over the iPhone of San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    I would like to see an official DoD approval for this app. Just saying the Senate approved it doesn't mean it's actually approved and vetted by the US Government. This is also open-source software so it has to go through additional certification to verify who is actually working on it. I don't have access to DoD websites anymore and disa.mil is getting more restrictive (and I have out-dated certificates for them--isn't that Apple's job to send out updated versions?) so I'd like to hear from government users to see if they can actually find definitive approvals and approval to use this software.

I'm not saying it isn't good, I just want to know that our government is actually following the rules and using software that's been approved, especially encryption software.

Oh wait! Nobody in DC wants us to use encryption software but of course they can.
    maciekskontaktSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 6
    maciekskontaktmaciekskontakt Posts: 1,169member
    rob53 said:
    I would like to see an official DoD approval for this app. Just saying the Senate approved it doesn't mean it's actually approved and vetted by the US Government. This is also open-source software so it has to go through additional certification to verify who is actually working on it. I don't have access to DoD websites anymore and disa.mil is getting more restrictive (and I have out-dated certificates for them--isn't that Apple's job to send out updated versions?) so I'd like to hear from government users to see if they can actually find definitive approvals and approval to use this software.

I'm not saying it isn't good, I just want to know that our government is actually following the rules and using software that's been approved, especially encryption software.

Oh wait! Nobody in DC wants us to use encryption software but of course they can.
    That is correct, sir. Commercial or legislative approvals do not mean they can be executed until verified by proper expert authorities for certain uses. Same as in miltary service. Approving does not mean that strategy or tactics will be applied in certain areas because it may not be fit.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    This has led to run-ins with U.S. government and politicians, most notably over the iPhone of San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook.
    Wait, that IS my cake - AND I want to eat it!
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 4 of 6
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    Ultimate hypocrisy. Campaigning for back doors in devices and discouraging encrypted transmissions such as iMessage, FaceTime & WhatsApp for the public but utilising encrypted apps for themselves!
    watto_cobraspacerays
  • Reply 5 of 6
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    It's Senate approved because the UI is simple enough for Congress types to navigate and it says 'Secure' right there!

And no doubt it'll finally get DoD approval once found to meet security requirements and have a proper backdoor in place.

This won't bother Congress types because they know better than us that a) the Govt can protect the key to the backdoor b) we must all make sacrifices for security, some of us more than others and c) Franklin's quote was taken out of context.

So we've got nothing to worry about. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    Is Signal more secure than iMessage? If so, how?