Apple suppliers ramping up 10.5-inch iPad Pro production to hit 5-6M target for 2017

Posted:
in iPad
Apple's manufacturing partners are reportedly stepping up production of a 10.5-inch iPad Pro from 500,000 units a month to 600,000 units by July, and should ultimately churn out 5 million to 6 million units for the whole of 2017.

Mass production of the tablet started around March or April, DigiTimes reported on Friday. The 5 million to 6 million target is consistent with a recent estimate by KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who also claimed that Apple is likely to debut the product at its WWDC 2017 keynote on June 5.

Production schedules for a refreshed 12.9-inch iPad Pro are less clear, but "market watchers" cited by Friday's report anticipate mass production starting in June -- which could mean that if Apple announces the product on June 5, it might only ship weeks later in limited quantities. "Stable" shipments will probably happen in the September quarter, the people said.

Demand for the 9.7-inch "budget" iPad is expected pick up at the end of the June quarter and peak in the third quarter. The product's success will likely accelerate Apple's move towards phasing out the iPad mini 4, additional DigiTimes sources commented. The company is thought to be ending the iPad mini line due to shrinking sales.

Features of the new 10.5- and 12.9-inch Pros are largely unknown, although they should include faster processors, a revised Apple Pencil, and/or slimmer bezels, possibly limited to the 10.5-inch model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    I made a mockup of this and isn't as dramatic of a change as I think some people envision. Definitely cool though. It leaves just enough room for the Home Button/Touch ID sensor on the bottom bezel. (10.5" display inside the footprint of the 9.7" iPad).

edited May 2017 Nameo_stantheman
  • Reply 2 of 29
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I REALLY hope that Apple adds some iPad specific UI features to the next version of iOS. I know this may be blasphemy to some, but adding basic bluetooth touchbar/mouse support would be amazing. This can even be off by default and enabled in settings, but really the iPad is still a massive pain to use for things like wordprocessing or any kind of long term, fine editing. Touch just isn't ideal. I'm not saying turn this thing into a Surface, but even an API for mouse support that devs can add into their specific apps would be amazing. 
    Roger_FingasanantksundaramStrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 29
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    If you want a mouse....get a Mac. Adding a mouse and keyboard immediately turns it into a 2-in-1 hybrid. 
    edited May 2017 Metriacanthosaurusfastasleeptycho_macuserchia
  • Reply 4 of 29
    slurpy said:
    I REALLY hope that Apple adds some iPad specific UI features to the next version of iOS. I know this may be blasphemy to some, but adding basic bluetooth touchbar/mouse support would be amazing. This can even be off by default and enabled in settings, but really the iPad is still a massive pain to use for things like wordprocessing or any kind of long term, fine editing. Touch just isn't ideal. I'm not saying turn this thing into a Surface, but even an API for mouse support that devs can add into their specific apps would be amazing. 
    You do not want mouse support added to iPad. What you want is a Mac.

They way they have the iPad Pro designed and positioned right now is correct. Including the way the Smart Keyboard works. It folds out of the way so that an iPad can be an iPad most of the time. When necessary, you can type better, using the Smart Keyboard. And then put it away, to keep using the iPad.

I know exactly what you're talking about, because I have attempted to use an iPad Pro for things I would normally use a Mac for. I get frustrated and decide "I can't do this without a mouse". But the solution is not add mouse support to iPad. It is far more complicated than that. The truth is, I need a Mac. I can't get away with doing all my work on iPad. BUT THATS OK. iPads replace Macs for people who don't need Macs. But some people do still need Macs. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobratycho_macuserchia
  • Reply 5 of 29
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Hey Apple here's a novel idea: include the 29w USB-C charger in the box. The fact that they don't do this with the 12.9" iPad is ridiculous.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Hey Apple here's a novel idea: include the 29w USB-C charger in the box. The fact that they don't do this with the 12.9" iPad is ridiculous.
    So you want USB-C charging?
  • Reply 7 of 29
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    Why is it ridiculous ? I have an 12.9 " iPad Pro and have no problems charging it with the normal adaptor. 
    pscooter63cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    macxpress said:
    I think he's talking about replacing the USB-A side of the charge cord with USB-C, not the lightning side. Then the charger would be Macbook-style.

I expect we'll see this with this Fall's iPhones.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 9 of 29
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    slurpy said:
    I couldn't agree more.

Cue the (same old, same old) lame comments along the lines of, "but, but... it makes it a 2-in-1" (me: so f'in what?!) or "buy a Mac" (me: you know what you can do with your condescending advice).
    muthuk_vanalingamMetriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 10 of 29
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    On a vaguely related topic, anyone have any thoughts/speculation on anything new and different that the next iteration of the 12.9" might bring?
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 11 of 29
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    I wish iPads could have 3D Touch.
    After using 3D Touch on an iPhone, it's painful to not have it on an iPad.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Eric_WVGG said:
    macxpress said:
    I think he's talking about replacing the USB-A side of the charge cord with USB-C, not the lightning side. Then the charger would be Macbook-style.

I expect we'll see this with this Fall's iPhones.
    LMAO.

Because of all those USB-C chargers out there? LOL. Why do some people think that because the Mac has something, that this relates to iPhone in any way? Do you people know anything about the iPhone market at all?
  • Reply 13 of 29

On a vaguely related topic, anyone have any thoughts/speculation on anything new and different that the next iteration of the 12.9" might bring?
    Most likely the same new chip as going in the 10.5" model and thats it. Possibly Tru Tone display.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    I am almost certain it is getting a 10 nm node SOC, and maybe the first iteration of an Apple GPGPU. I'd like to see a second generation pencil and a second generation keyboard with a touch pad for text manipulation, plus the dual lens camera of the iPhone 7 Plus, but I have little expectation of this.

Apple providing API's for iPad Pro's as input (like a Wacom) for, or a second screen to, the Mac Book/Mac Book Pro, would be the only reason for USB type C commonality, and I doubt that it will happen.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    The true Pro tablet is not an iPad Pro, it is a Mac tablet (even if not Pro!). You cannot compare iOS to macOS.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,296member
    slurpy said:
    I couldn't agree more.

Cue the (same old, same old) lame comments along the lines of, "but, but... it makes it a 2-in-1" (me: so f'in what?!) or "buy a Mac" (me: you know what you can do with your condescending advice).
    I think it's very understandable that people do not want to carry around a Mac and an iPad, yet they want the functionality of both. A well implemented 2-in-1 would meet that need. Apple's position seems to be that the best iPad is just an iPad and the best Mac is just a Mac. There's a sense in which that's true. But every product involves a different bundle of tradeoffs. I would argue that the best Mac is a 27" iMac. But for people who need portability, the tradeoff of a smaller screen and less performance in a laptop is acceptable.  

I think that at some point Apple is just going to have to suck it up and figure out how to do a 2-in-1. 

btw, the whole "toaster plus refrigerator" analogy is silly. It's more like "toaster plus small oven", and guess what -- those exist and they make sense, they're called "toaster ovens". 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member

LMAO.

Because of all those USB-C chargers out there? LOL. Why do some people think that because the Mac has something, that this relates to iPhone in any way? Do you people know anything about the iPhone market at all?
    Were you one of those twits who thought Apple wouldn't abandon the audio jack, or lamented the death of the dock connector? Apple has always been pro-active about ditching old standards and bringing consumers the future, early.

"all those USB-C chargers out there LOL" You'll buy new USB-C chargers just like you bought Lightning peripherals. "LMAO"
    edited May 2017 fastasleep
  • Reply 18 of 29
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    blastdoor said:
    slurpy said:
    I couldn't agree more.

I think it's very understandable that people do not want to carry around a Mac and an iPad, yet they want the functionality of both. A well implemented 2-in-1 would meet that need. Apple's position seems to be that the best iPad is just an iPad and the best Mac is just a Mac. There's a sense in which that's true. But every product involves a different bundle of tradeoffs. I would argue that the best Mac is a 27" iMac. But for people who need portability, the tradeoff of a smaller screen and less performance in a laptop is acceptable.  

I think that at some point Apple is just going to have to suck it up and figure out how to do a 2-in-1. 

btw, the whole "toaster plus refrigerator" analogy is silly. It's more like "toaster plus small oven", and guess what -- those exist and they make sense, they're called "toaster ovens". 
    So, what does that look like if you've got it all figured out?
  • Reply 19 of 29
    sockrolid said:
    I wish iPads could have 3D Touch.
    After using 3D Touch on an iPhone, it's painful to not have it on an iPad.
    Right?  I still think this supposed OLED iPad is actually gonna turn out to be a fancy new Mac control surface/input device that they'll invariably call the "Magic Touchboard," but we'll find out soon enough... and it'll have some predictive Taptic fanciness going on to facilitate he illusion of a click when typing on the only-there-when-you-need-it virtual keyboard.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,296member
    blastdoor said:
    slurpy said:
    I couldn't agree more.

So, what does that look like if you've got it all figured out?
    I never said I have it all figured out. But Apple needs to figure it out, and I believe they can certainly do a better job than Microsoft! 

Having said that... one idea that occurs to me is to have the device change personalities depending on usage mode. Activate a mouse/trackpad and it goes into Mac mode. Deactivate the mouse/trackpad and it goes into iPad mode. This would require an ARM version of macOS, but that's feasible.