Alleged Apple molds show expected 'iPhone 8' design next to '7s' and '7s Plus'

Posted:
in iPhone
A trio of molds from China claim to show the shape and design of Apple's 2017 iPhone lineup, suggesting that the so-called "iPhone 8" may be slightly taller than the 4.7-inch "iPhone 7s," but could be considerably smaller than the "iPhone 7s Plus."

The side-by-side comparison of all three handset sizes was revealed on Chinese microblogging site Weibo and highlighted Saturday by Slashleaks. The image shows handsets largely in line with expectations, incuding a cutout for two vertically stacked camera lenses on the anticipated "iPhone 8."

Apple's "iPhone 8" is rumored to feature a form factor largely similar to Apple's 4.7-inch handsets, but achieve a much larger display with an edge-to-edge OLED panel.

It's expected that the "iPhone 8" will arrive this fall, with a completely new design and advanced technology, along with successors to the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus models. The so-called "iPhone 7s" series is believed to stick with the same LCD displays as their predecessors, leaving OLED as an exclusive feature on the "iPhone 8."

Separately, an "iPhone 8" dummy unit was also feature Saturday on Slashleaks. It shows a glossy black back with no logo or signage, but features the vertical camera array that is expected on Apple's flagship handset.

Rumors have suggested the "iPhone 8" could cost upwards of $1,000 and be available in extremely limited quantities this fall. It's believed that the "iPhone 8" will stand out as a premium, flagship model with advanced capabilities, while most consumers will opt for the traditionally-priced "iPhone 7s" lineup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    If all three mounds are ready for production now, ignoring some of the various rumours,  this seems imply the three iPhones will be released together.  
    trashman69
  • Reply 2 of 57
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I don't see Apple making all 3 camera lenses sit differently. Way too much fragmentation between designs.

What happened to the whole "vertical cameras for better landscape mode" argument for the biggest model?

I'm hoping Apple engineers are figuring out how to make dual lenses sit in one simple circular enclosure or disappear altogether.(anything is possible)
  • Reply 3 of 57
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member
    dachar said:
    If all three mounds are ready for production now, ignoring some of the various rumours,  this seems imply the three iPhones will be released together.  
    I hope so. If they're not at least announced together, I suspect a lot of people will wait to get the details on the rumored but unannounced models before committing to a purchase.
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 4 of 57
    subbiessubbies Posts: 71member
    I'll be pre ordering the 8, no doubt but can't Apple at least change the shap of the new phone? Square off the corners or something?
  • Reply 5 of 57
    vlscoutvlscout Posts: 32member
    while most consumers will opt for the traditionally-priced "iPhone 7s" lineup.
    I really doubt that. Everyone will want to get the 8 while millions of 7s's will struggle to find a buyer.
    dh87
  • Reply 6 of 57
    cali said:
    I don't see Apple making all 3 camera lenses sit differently. Way too much fragmentation between designs.

What happened to the whole "vertical cameras for better landscape mode" argument for the biggest model?

I'm hoping Apple engineers are figuring out how to make dual lenses sit in one simple circular enclosure or disappear altogether.(anything is possible)
    What I personally don't like is how small the iPhone 8 is! I was shocked seeing how it's going to be the same size as the 7s! I'm just use to big phones! I which apple could make a plus size iPhone 8! Idk but I thought since the 7 plus was the best seller last year,  Apple would of known to make a bigger size iPhone 8! And with the note 8 coming around with the same camera set up and the edge to edge screen and bigger is better, I just don't know what apple is achieving! 
  • Reply 7 of 57
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 282member
    Not convinced this is accurate news. iPhone Anniversary Edition will be Liquid Metal frame.
    nicksaintjohn
  • Reply 8 of 57
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    micaside said:
    cali said:

What I personally don't like is how small the iPhone 8 is! I was shocked seeing how it's going to be the same size as the 7s! I'm just use to big phones! I which apple could make a plus size iPhone 8! Idk but I thought since the 7 plus was the best seller last year,  Apple would of known to make a bigger size iPhone 8! And with the note 8 coming around with the same camera set up and the edge to edge screen and bigger is better, I just don't know what apple is achieving! 
    Personally I prefer smaller form size but larger screen size. If the rumour was true, then 8 would have all edge-to-edge screen, by removing the chin and bezel which would optimize the screen estate (similiar or bigger than 7Plus screen size) yet retained smaller form (similiar or slightly bigger than 7). It looks like Apple did the right thing here, if the rumour was correct.
    edited May 2017 stanthemanmejsricredgeminipauraharamike1propod
  • Reply 9 of 57
    The iphone 8 lens moulding seems to protrude, the others do not? 
  • Reply 10 of 57
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    micaside said:
    cali said:

This is still in the rumor mill category. Even if this is accurate we don't have complete information. Apple will most likely continue with a form factor similar in size to the 7+. 
  • Reply 11 of 57
    micaside said:
    cali said:

What I personally don't like is how small the iPhone 8 is! I was shocked seeing how it's going to be the same size as the 7s! I'm just use to big phones! I which apple could make a plus size iPhone 8! Idk but I thought since the 7 plus was the best seller last year,  Apple would of known to make a bigger size iPhone 8! And with the note 8 coming around with the same camera set up and the edge to edge screen and bigger is better, I just don't know what apple is achieving
    Then you're not paying attention. They're achieving a physical size only slightly larger than the 7s but with a screen thats actually larger than the 7 Plus (including the touch bar area).
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 57

vlscout said:
    while most consumers will opt for the traditionally-priced "iPhone 7s" lineup.
    I really doubt that. Everyone will want to get the 8 while millions of 7s's will struggle to find a buyer.
    That's simply not the way it works. After a year of sales, the cheapest one will the one sold in most volume, and on down from there. That is the way sales work. In every market. Of every product. On the planet.
    radarthekatpscooter63mike1
  • Reply 13 of 57

cali said:

??? "Fragmentation"? You use that term as if it is supposed to apply here like it does when talking about Software.

Literally no one cares what the camera looks like.
    StrangeDaysredgeminipajkichlinebb-15
  • Reply 14 of 57

dachar said:
    I hope so. If they're not at least announced together...
    Of course they will be announced and launched together. Actual availability is another matter entirely.

The 7 Plus was technically launched at the same time as the 7, but only a handful were delivered for the first few weeks, and was not available in stores.
    redgeminipabb-15
  • Reply 15 of 57
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Probably. Look like 7s/s+ will finally get rid of the protrude.
    iPhoneX may be just a special edition with 1 piece of back glass. I doubt Apple will call it iPhone 8. Looks like it's 5.2-5.3" screen with very narrow top and bottom bezels. I don't believe Apple will make edge to edge screen at all but something similar to current iPhone 7/7+. 
  • Reply 16 of 57
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    micaside said:
    cali said:

What I personally don't like is how small the iPhone 8 is! I was shocked seeing how it's going to be the same size as the 7s! I'm just use to big phones! I which apple could make a plus size iPhone 8! Idk but I thought since the 7 plus was the best seller last year,  Apple would of known to make a bigger size iPhone 8! And with the note 8 coming around with the same camera set up and the edge to edge screen and bigger is better, I just don't know what apple is achieving
    Then you're not paying attention. They're achieving a physical size only slightly larger than the 7s but with a screen thats actually larger than the 7 Plus (including the touch bar area).
    You want to bet on that? I say the new iPhone won't be anywhere near 7+ size but sits in between 7 and 7+. My bet is 5.2 - 5.3". Apple can reduce top and bottom bezels only, and not much on the size. So, to retain the 16:9 aspect ratio, they just can't reduce only top/bottom but all bezels around too, but it appears that the phone screen is just a little larger than 7. If you want to be at 7+ size, the width must be the same visually as 7+. However, the picture above doesn't support that.
    edited May 2017 bb-15
  • Reply 17 of 57
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    fallenjt said:
    Probably. Look like 7s/s+ will finally get rid of the protrude.
    iPhoneX may be just a special edition with 1 piece of back glass. I doubt Apple will call it iPhone 8. Looks like it's 5.2-5.3" screen with very narrow top and bottom bezels. I don't believe Apple will make edge to edge screen at all but something similar to current iPhone 7/7+. 
    Was going to make the same comment about the name of the phone.  IPhone 8 seems terribly unlikely; it would automatically imply the 7s/7s+ Are instantly out of date.  This new model will likely be a parallel track, similar to the SE, which doesn't have a model number designation.  iPhone Edition would be my first guess.  iPhone Pro is a tempting guess, but implies it's for some type of professional user, either enterprise or freelance professionals, like a photographer.  So I think there's too much baggage with the Pro moniker.  Edition seems just right.

And this would be the time also to drop the numbering for the main iPhone line.  So this year I could see:

iPhone Edition
    iPhone +
    iPhone
    iPhone SE
    edited May 2017 redgeminipatallest skilEric_WVGG
  • Reply 18 of 57
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    fallenjt said:
    micaside said:
    cali said:

You want to bet on that? I say the new iPhone won't be anywhere near 7+ size but sits in between 7 and 7+. My bet is 5.2 - 5.3". Apple can reduce top and bottom bezels only, and not much on the size. So, to retain the 16:9 aspect ratio, they just can't reduce only top/bottom but all bezels around too, but it appears that the phone screen is just a little larger than 7. If you want to be at 7+ size, the width must be the same visually as 7+. However, the picture above doesn't support that.
    I zoomed out the pic on my iPad, then positioned it with the left edge of each mold at the left edge of the display, then looked to see where the right edge falls relative to the 'forums.appleinsider.com' text in the address bar at the top of my iPad display.  

This crude measurement quite clearly shows that the 8 mold width falls almost exactly between the width of the 7S and 7S+ molds.  If the 8 gets an edge to edge display and the new OLED Home/function bar area is included (which doesn't count in the 16:9 aspect ratio of the main display), I could see the overall display (both LCD and OLED combined) producing a display nearly as large as the 7S+ display.  

But yeah, the OS/application area might be something like a 16:9 5.1" display. But that still doesn't tell the whole story, because the Home/function bar area would serve to present Back, Next and other buttons that normally take up space on the OS/application display, so the usable area of that display would never be reduced in order to present those.
    edited May 2017 redgeminipa
  • Reply 19 of 57
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    subbies said:
    I'll be pre ordering the 8, no doubt but can't Apple at least change the shap of the new phone? Square off the corners or something?
    You evidently don't understand Apple. They do not change product design for change's sake. Have said this many times in interviews. 

Do do you expect your home audio receiver to change shapes? Cordless power tools?
    Solibb-15
  • Reply 20 of 57
    jr7921jr7921 Posts: 9member
    I have a bad feeling about the iPhone 8. I think there's gonna be lots of problems when it comes out.