Emerson Sensi thermostat line expanding with two HomeKit compatible models

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Environmental control company Emerson has added to its Sensi thermostat line with a new pair of HomeKit-compatible devices.

On Monday, Emerson announced that its new Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Thermostat and an updated version of the classic Sensi Wi-Fi Thermostat are controllable with Apple's home automation suite.

The Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Thermostat has illuminated terminals for increased visibility while wiring and terminals that eliminate the need for a screwdriver during installation. On-device menu options enable users to customize the information on the home screen display and to choose if the device will be illuminated by default.

The updated Sensi Wi-Fi Thermostat doesn't require a common wire (c-wire) for most installations -- but Apple HomeKit users require the c-wire installation for Siri voice control.

In addition to the Apple HomeKit integration, both Sensi thermostats are compatible with Amazon Alexa and Wink home automation platforms.

The new Sensi thermostats will be available in "early summer" according to Emerson. The Sensi Wi-Fi Thermostat retails for $129.99, with the Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Thermostat selling for $199.99.

Introduced in 2014, HomeKit allows users to connect to a variety of compatible so-called "internet of things" devices through the iOS Home app in conjunction with each other, as opposed to a series of disconnected interfaces. The addition of Siri control to HomeKit allows for complicated sequences of events to be induced from an iOS device or a Mac running Sierra.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6

The addition of Siri control to HomeKit allows for complicated sequences of events to be induced from an iOS device or a Mac running Sierra.

I can never get Siri on my Mac to do anything HomeKit related, ever.  I always get a message saying something along the lines of "I can't help with HomeKit here."  Is this really a thing?  The MacOS Sierra about page on apple.com mentions a bunch of things Siri can do, but HomeKit isn't mentioned.

I wish more companies would make better looking thermostats.  I like the look of the Nest (I have two but would like to replace them with something HomeKit compatible) and the Honeywell Lyric Round, but most of the rest I find to be either downright ugly or just too big and still not particularly good looking.  I also like the relative simplicity of the displays on the Nest and Lyric Round.  I don't require a bunch of info and buttons and options all the time.  Mostly I just want to know the temperature and be able to easily adjust it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    I've had an Ecobee for about 2 years and generally like it.  I am really skeptical about the supposed energy savings from Ecobee, Nest, or any other, but I like being able to control the thermostat from my phone etc.

I'd like to know if any of you have experience with these Emerson thermostats? How does this compare to Ecobee or Nest.  FWIW, my Ecobee will be left in the house when I sell it and it isn't Homekit compatible. (Older Ecobee 3)  So, I'm not ditching the Ecobee for anything but will have a new install.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 3 of 6
    williamh said:
    I've had an Ecobee for about 2 years and generally like it.  I am really skeptical about the supposed energy savings from Ecobee, Nest, or any other, but I like being able to control the thermostat from my phone etc.

I'd like to know if any of you have experience with these Emerson thermostats? How does this compare to Ecobee or Nest.  FWIW, my Ecobee will be left in the house when I sell it and it isn't Homekit compatible. (Older Ecobee 3)  So, I'm not ditching the Ecobee for anything but will have a new install.
    DO NOT BUY! The quality is build quality is awful and the software is super buggy. It has lots of problems. You get what you pay for. Get a Nest or Ecobee
  • Reply 4 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    There's a huge gap in terms of what HomeKit hardware is available outside the US.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

The addition of Siri control to HomeKit allows for complicated sequences of events to be induced from an iOS device or a Mac running Sierra.

I can never get Siri on my Mac to do anything HomeKit related, ever.  I always get a message saying something along the lines of "I can't help with HomeKit here."  Is this really a thing?  The MacOS Sierra about page on apple.com mentions a bunch of things Siri can do, but HomeKit isn't mentioned.

I wish more companies would make better looking thermostats.  I like the look of the Nest (I have two but would like to replace them with something HomeKit compatible) and the Honeywell Lyric Round, but most of the rest I find to be either downright ugly or just too big and still not particularly good looking.  I also like the relative simplicity of the displays on the Nest and Lyric Round.  I don't require a bunch of info and buttons and options all the time.  Mostly I just want to know the temperature and be able to easily adjust it.
    Without certain companies caring about design it'd be bad out there. Yes, thermostats are usually hidious and look to be designed by a bunch of suits and engineers. 
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ireland said:

Without certain companies caring about design it'd be bad out there. Yes, thermostats are usually hidious and look to be designed by a bunch of suits and engineers. 
    I'm glad I'm not the only one.  And it isn't just thermostats, I have yet to see an attractive "smart lock".  For me, "smart locks" will be right when they are integrated into the door itself and look no different than what I see now OR become less visible.