Apple prepares to test 5G cellular for future iPhones & other devices

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has filed an application with the U.S. Federal Communications Commission to start testing 5G connectivity, laying the groundwork for its first capable hardware.

The company is hoping to test in the 28- and 39-gigahertz bands, using technology from Rohde & Schwarz, A.H. Systems, and Analog Devices, according to documents obtained by Business Insider. One test site will be at Yosemite Drive in Milpitas, Calif., while another will be on Mariani Avenue in Cupertino, next to Apple's headquarters at 1 Infinite Loop.

Apple expects to run tests for a period "not to exceed 12 months," which could imply that the company expects to support the technology in next year's "iPhone 9." U.S. carriers are unlikely to have any substantial 5G coverage until 2020 -- but trials are getting underway this year, and internationally, South Korea's Samsung and KT should have 5G ready for the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang.

Other phone makers are already working on support, among them Motorola, which is promising to ship the first compatible phones later in 2017.

5G connections should enable speeds far in excess of LTE, potentially upwards of 1 gigabit per second. That could once again put cellular connections ahead of most landlines and allow things that were previously considered difficult or impossible with LTE, such as virtual reality or remote surgery. Similarly, self-driving cars like Apple's project might be able to use 5G to fetch cloud data or communicate with other vehicles.

Notably, the 28-gigahertz band Apple is testing on is dedicated to ground-to-space transmissions. In April a report revealed that Apple had hired two executives from Google's satellite wing to form a "new hardware team."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) Could this be a sign of Apple using their Nortell patents, years of wireless development, and their chip design expertise to enter this market? Building it into their A-series chip could help reduce costs and make their devices even more power efficient.

2) I'd be very surprised if this shows up in any device in 2018.
    cali
  • Reply 2 of 15
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    Ground-to-space transmissions that's interesting!
  • Reply 3 of 15
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Companies will be dying to beat Apple to 5G despite being 2 phone generations until 5G even starts rolling out.
    I can understand testing, but releasing! C'mon Motorola, what's the point?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    evilution said:
    Companies will be dying to beat Apple to 5G despite being 2 phone generations until 5G even starts rolling out.
    The first 5G phones will be just like the first 4G ones–2 hours of battery life, heat like a sauna, and the occasional battery explosion. Thanks, Samsung.
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 5 of 15
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    Going to have to chat with my daughters classmates dad again, even though I know I won't get much of anything out of him (cellular radio engineer for Apple specializing in antenna design).
  • Reply 6 of 15
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,335member
    But will there be coverage issues? At higher frequencies, home WiFi routers have limited range versus the lower frequencies. Aren't we talking about the same thing here with 5G? You're going from 2GHz with LTE to a whopping 28GHz with 5G!

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Verizon-Shows-Off-Millimeter-Wave-Home-Router-Antenna-139067
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 7 of 15
    fotoformatfotoformat Posts: 302member
    Going to have to chat with my daughters classmates dad again, even though I know I won't get much of anything out of him (cellular radio engineer for Apple specializing in antenna design).
    I have an image in my mind of both of you with two tin cans and a piece of string across the garden fence discussing secrets... and nooooone can evesdrop on the old technology! lol
  • Reply 8 of 15
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    evilution said:
    I can understand testing, but releasing! C'mon Motorola, what's the point?
    MWC 2017 was all about 5G. The spec has yet to be finalised but companies like Huawei began their 5G plans in 2009. They have carried out substantial proof of concept and testing with partners and 2017 will be the trial year for everyone with an interest in 5G. I think there will be some pilot tests in Hong Kong (at least in the case of Huawei) and Norway with possibly a roll out for public use in 2019/20. Standards permitting.

With that in mind, handset manufacturers need to be '5G ready' in advance, especially if models will overlap with public availability.

It's also a great marketing badge and will be used to sell phones in countries where 5G is available but not everywhere. Take 4G for example. It was first available in major cities but all handset manufacturers needed to do was put 4G into the specs and market them countrywide. It didn't matter if the phone had no network to actually connect to (smaller cities, rural areas etc). Users thought they were somehow receiving it (because 4G was marketed in such a big way) or future proofing their purchase.

In that sense I can see the logic in Motorola's plans. Everyone will follow suit, including Apple of course, even if 5G won't really gain traction until 2020/2021.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    OT but I just got a Product RED iPhone. It is a sexy beast! The Red is absolutely rich and gorgeous. It's right up there with the Jet Black in terms of sheer sexiness!
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Know nothing question:

Will this 5G make broadband obsolete?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Rayz2016 said:
    Know nothing question:

Not at all. There is a lot of stuff that is not QoS dependent and a physical infrastructure (completely wired) has its advantages too.

Depending on pricing, I can imagine that doing cloud backups over fibre for example from your home could work out cheaper than via 5G although it is true that in my part of the world there are a lot of services are rolled up into one converged packet so I have a fixed line, various mobile lines, mobile data, ADSL, etc in one deal.

Once all broadband is all fibre and 5G is here I hope VoIP improves in quality.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    sergioz said:
    Ground-to-space transmissions that's interesting!
    We'll soon be getting spam calls from aliens!  ;)
  • Reply 13 of 15
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    avon b7 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Know nothing question:

Not at all. There is a lot of stuff that is not QoS dependent and a physical infrastructure (completely wired) has its advantages too.

Depending on pricing, I can imagine that doing cloud backups over fibre for example from your home could work out cheaper than via 5G although it is true that in my part of the world there are a lot of services are rolled up into one converged packet so I have a fixed line, various mobile lines, mobile data, ADSL, etc in one deal.

Not sure where you live but our VoIP quality is perfect.  My company uses it throughout 12 states in the US.  Combination of technologies not all fiber.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    avon b7 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Know nothing question:

Not sure where you live but our VoIP quality is perfect.  My company uses it throughout 12 states in the US.  Combination of technologies not all fiber.
    Yeah. It varies. Mine is over copper (Orange LiveBox) and absolutely dreadful. So bad that the line is only really used for data. Voice calls are that bad and get even worse when you call the customer service numbers (I'm convinced it's deliberate to make people give up). Thankfully fibre has just been laid in my area, taking advantage of the sewage infrastructure. I hope I don't get a shitty connection speeds. Ha! (Orange handled the rollout in this area btw). Now I'm just waiting for a commercial offer from the different operators they have to share infrastructure here.

Copper has not been improved in this area for five years because of the plans to lay fibre although my VoIP was dreadful way before they went into low maintenance mode on copper. There are plans to shut down the copper service altogether soon.

As for 5G I hope it doesn't suffer much in in high heat, high humidity, hilly areas by the sea. 4G seems to.have been stable so far.

I'll be keeping an eye on the reports from Hong Kong when the 5G pilot starts there as conditions there are similar to mine in some regards.

edited May 2017
  • Reply 15 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Not with the data caps it will inevitably have.