Apple issues minor updates for Final Cut Pro and iMovie

Posted:
in Mac Software
Apple on Thursday released a pair of updates for Final Cut Pro and iMovie, addressing a handful of problems and improving the overall stability and performance of both video editing apps.

Final Cut Pro version 10.3.4 resolves an issue that presented itself when keyboard shortcuts are used to trim Secondary Storylines, according to release notes supplied alongside the release.

The update also fixes issues that result in the introduction of extra audio fade ins when conducting certain editing operations, as well as incorrectly displaying a codec warning in the share dialog.

The latest major release of Final Cut Pro arrived last year with the introduction of version 10.3, which debuted a refreshed user interface designed specifically for Apple's new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. In particular, the app now offers Touch Bar access to editing tools, audio adjustment sliders, clip scrubbing functionality and more.

As for iMovie, today's version 10.1.6 update improves stability when updating libraries created with older versions of the software, Apple says. The release also fixes a bug that in some cases could lower the volume of clips after applying a transition.

Like Final Cut Pro, iMovie received its most recent major update last year with the addition of Touch Bar compatibility.

Apple last updated Final Cut Pro and iMovie in April with minor bug fixes and performance improvements.

Final Cut Pro is available from the Mac App Store for $299.99, while iMovie sells for $14.99 for users with older hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I'm glad to see FCPro X still  important  to Apple (as an Aperture users lol)

Sorry OT a wee bit, any FCPro X users here work with s-log?  I'm tempted to get a Sony RX10 iii and wondered if they do, what converter they use (I assume you need one).  I'm wondering too if the lack of an ND filter in the mark 3 is overcome shooting in s-log and correcting in post.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 2 of 3
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    You can manually turn log processing in FCP on or off, however clip meta-data should set that properly for you (unless is was stripped off in some post processing)
    https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12685?locale=en_US

You could also use a 3rd party LUT (look up table) to re expand the compressed contrast. Here is a video tutorial using the mLUT plugin

A neutral density (ND) filter affects the entire luma linearly (similar to aperture or gain) and is typically used when a brightly lit scene forces you to use an narrow aperture that would compromise your preferred depth of field (typically video is limited to a 180° shutter (basically twice your shutter speed)) so you can't compensate for brightness using shutter speed.) However you can easily use either a screw on neutral density filter or a standard square filter in a holder or matte box (not as convent as internal neutral density filters but functions the same) So I guess my answer is yes the log gamma would help (in not blowing highlights) but it's not really a substitute for a ND in a brightly lit scene
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 3 of 3
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    After reading... that bit on shutter angle is kind of confusing, it should read: (a 180° shutter is set using a shutter speed twice your frame rate.)